Week 4 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 1/29/24-2/4/24

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad Kyler is not part of the dead money. Don't @ me.
Well the good news is the Cardinals currently don't have any dead money past the 2024 season except for JT when his contract voids in 2026.

Plus I don't see a path for much dead money in 2025 unless they trade or cut DJ Humphries.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Currently the Cardinals have the 3rd most dead money in the league for 2024. Only the Chargers ($24.56M) and Browns ($14.97M) have more.

As the new league year gets closer for 2024 and teams start cutting aging vets to make cap room, teams will start to pass up the Cardinals in dead money. Still it sucks to have to start another offseason paying for the sins from the past regime.
All three of those dead money charges were opted-into by Monti. Both Hudson and Watt adjusted their contracts before they were released.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All three of those dead money charges were opted-into by Monti. Both Hudson and Watt adjusted their contracts before they were released.

Yes he opted in on those contracts when he took over the team.

;)

The fact of the matter is that no matter how the remaining money due on those contracts was paid out, the Cardinals still had to pay it. Hence paying for the sins from the past regime.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's bad at the top. I just ran a mock and it had Dallas Turner going number 1. If it can't get the the first pick realistic it makes me dubious about the rest.

The best in my opinion is the NFL Mock Draft Database. It's trades are also pretty realistic and the big board it uses is an amalgamation of dozens of big boards from well known analysts.
Disagree hardcore on this. I have teams offering me 5th, 6th, 7th round, and 2025 1st and 2nd for pick 27. No way anyone would even conceive of a dumb trade like that in real life. Lots of trade like that

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Because he's not actually been that good since 2021?

People acting like Budda is Minkah or Jessie Bates when he wasn't even the best safety on the team. His recovery speed, coverage skills and ability to play the ball are all very average for a free safety. Which is where he mostly plays.

Having players that are worth $10m earning $19m is not how you build good rosters.

The only logical reason to keep him would be because we don't need the money because we can't sign the FA's we want or need. But I don't see that happening, or at least, the idea that teams who had poor seasons can't operate effectively in FA isn't borne out by NFL history.
Do you want my honest option on your take that Budda has "not been good" or do you just want the laughing emoji?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He should lean more on the draft, all good teams do, but he's going to spend big in FA. Why wouldn't he?

He has to spend 90% of the cap over a 4 year period, the team has a tonne of holes, he has decent cap space and can easily add $26m more (Hump and Budda), and he gets zero benefit from cap space saved other than rolling it into next year. But he can roll it into next year by spending it.
Your entire point last offseason was that players didn't want to sign in Arizona so how could Monti be blamed for not signing more expensive FAs. We just finished with the 4th worst draft position. The situation in AZ for FAs is not significantly different.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would like to know why you think he has been good. Not flaming, feel free to explain if you want.
K9 did a good job explaining it. Budda is playing deep S to cover for all of the inexperience at CB. He can't do it all, and is being put in situations to fail constantly, but he still is consistent. He blitzed at a career low number 14, for the season...and he still had 5 TFLs. His missed tackle % was a career low 6.5%...PFR has him missing 6 tackles. His completion % allowed was a career low of 63.3%. He had his second best season in YAC allowed...he allowed 98 total yards after catch on the season.

Yes, Budda has not been a playmaker like you would want to see from a high paid defensive player. Yes, he does not play a high priority position. Yes, he is overpaid. All of that said, none of that makes him "not good" especially because people don't like or understand his role on a horrible defense.

Like I said in my original post, the Cardinals are fine letting Baker play out his contract unless they find themselves in the unlikely position where they actually need the money they would save by cutting him for an actually above league average player. But, in order to get to that point, they have to spend 42 mil. Once they blow through that we can chat.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
K9 did a good job explaining it. Budda is playing deep S to cover for all of the inexperience at CB. He can't do it all, and is being put in situations to fail constantly, but he still is consistent. He blitzed at a career low number 14, for the season...and he still had 5 TFLs. His missed tackle % was a career low 6.5%...PFR has him missing 6 tackles. His completion % allowed was a career low of 63.3%. He had his second best season in YAC allowed...he allowed 98 total yards after catch on the season.

Yes, Budda has not been a playmaker like you would want to see from a high paid defensive player. Yes, he does not play a high priority position. Yes, he is overpaid. All of that said, none of that makes him "not good" especially because people don't like or understand his role on a horrible defense.

Like I said in my original post, the Cardinals are fine letting Baker play out his contract unless they find themselves in the unlikely position where they actually need the money they would save by cutting him for an actually above league average player. But, in order to get to that point, they have to spend 42 mil. Once they blow through that we can chat.
Budda Baker, despite injuries, was no worse than the third-best player on this defense. He's part of the solution.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn