Week 4 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 1/29/24-2/4/24

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you honestly think he's going to splash out a ton in FA? I don't. I absolutely believe he'll do more than last year--he'd get ridden out of town on a rail if he didn't--but that doesn't mean he'll be aggressive. Aggressive would be to sign 3-4 high level FAs and also sign role player FAs to fill out a lot of the roster--then also sign a better S than BB if we get rid of him. I don't see us doing anything close to that because I see Monti as more leaning on the draft.

He should lean more on the draft, all good teams do, but he's going to spend big in FA. Why wouldn't he?

He has to spend 90% of the cap over a 4 year period, the team has a tonne of holes, he has decent cap space and can easily add $26m more (Hump and Budda), and he gets zero benefit from cap space saved other than rolling it into next year. But he can roll it into next year by spending it.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He should lean more on the draft, all good teams do, but he's going to spend big in FA. Why wouldn't he?

He has to spend 90% of the cap over a 4 year period, the team has a tonne of holes, he has decent cap space and can easily add $26m more (Hump and Budda), and he gets zero benefit from cap space saved other than rolling it into next year. But he can roll it into next year by spending it.

MONTI will spend a lot in FA; there's no choice.

Spend 'big' as in $20m per annum here or there, I doubt very much.

If that were his mindset, he would have seriously tried to keep Allen last off-season.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
MONTI will spend a lot in FA; there's no choice.

Spend 'big' as in $20m per annum here or there, I doubt very much.

If that were his mindset, he would have seriously tried to keep Allen last off-season.
Hot take: Not worth it!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a dozen or so emails and multiple phone calls and the Cardinals can't remember / document on my account that I am not renewing and it is a near pressure sale if I answer the phone to the point of annoyance.

This is what happens when you fire everyone.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and she could not assure me that I won't continue to be harassed all off season. The renewal rate must be atrocious.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a dozen or so emails and multiple phone calls and the Cardinals can't remember / document on my account that I am not renewing and it is a near pressure sale if I answer the phone to the point of annoyance.

Tell them you moved away. The sales pressure stopped immediately when I told them I moved away in 2005.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it's more what happens when you hire 40 new people whose only job is to sell season tickets.

Why you giving it up if you don't mind me asking?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's more what happens when you hire 40 new people whose only job is to sell season tickets.

Why you giving it up if you don't mind me asking?

The company gave up the tickets due to MB and his well reported antics. You can't be associated with toxic stuff like that as an employee reward. We did the same with Sarver and the Suns.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The company gave up the tickets due to MB and his well reported antics. You can't be associated with toxic stuff like that as an employee reward. We did the same with Sarver and the Suns.
He was mean to guys who had DUI's?

#rabbithole

Personally, I ended up liking MB more after all that came out, but that is just me. #oldnewsthreadhijacked

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Because there aren't going to be all that many good players available in free agency? Also, a great way to ruin the culture in a locker room is to import a bunch of guys you don't really know as your highest-paid players and have them turn out to be problem children.

I think he'll spend MORE than he did last year, but I don't think we're going to see a bunch of eight-figure deals announced during the legal tampering period.

They're going to have to hit their numbers. This is what a "modern" sales division looks like in many industries. If you tell them to take you off their calling list/unsubscribe from their emails, they have to do it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mean to flame you, but a better question is why someone would renew? :)

(don't @ me)

Actually I think if you are an existing season ticket holder, and you survived this long, now would be one of the worst times to quit. I think better things are ahead.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You don't think Chris Jones, Brian Burns, Josh Allen, Tee Higgins etc are worth $20m?

Two seasons ago, this team had a 12.5 sack DE/DT (a first-ballot Hall of Famer) and won four games.

So, I'm not big on spending oodles of cash, gobbling up Cap space on the open market for one or two 'saviours.'

I wish them all the best if they access FA, but I'm not getting into a bidding war.

We can put a serviceable front seven, supplemented by the draft for less cash and term, and there is no shortage of wideouts with good grades in the draft. (IMO)

In other words, I'll take four at $5m rather than one at $20m at this point in the rebuild.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that bad?

Currently the Cardinals have the 3rd most dead money in the league for 2024. Only the Chargers ($24.56M) and Browns ($14.97M) have more.

As the new league year gets closer for 2024 and teams start cutting aging vets to make cap room, teams will start to pass up the Cardinals in dead money. Still it sucks to have to start another offseason paying for the sins from the past regime.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently the Cardinals have the 3rd most dead money in the league for 2024. Only the Chargers ($24.56M) and Browns ($14.97M) have more.

As the new league year gets closer for 2024 and teams start cutting aging vets to make cap room, teams will start to pass up the Cardinals in dead money. Still it sucks to have to start another offseason paying for the sins from the past regime.
Glad Kyler is not part of the dead money. Don't @ me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort