Week 4 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 1/29/24-2/4/24

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Wow! A 19 million dollar 2024 cap hit for our above average free safety! Not good!

A restructure would be the best way to go. There's some incentive for BB to take a deal that would pay him less than 19 million but a bit more than his projected value as a free agent. Hopefully that's what happens!

Worst case scenario is that he would be outright cut! However, there 1000% must be a fool-proof plan to replace his productivity and leadership if we have to use this option! I'd rather we pay the 19 million for one year rather than replace him with an UDFA or sixth round draft pick!

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The only reason for the Cardinals to let Budda go is if he wants to go and they let him, or if they can sign 3x more FAs than I feel they can overall and need his 14.6 mil. Personally, I believe they will have a tough time finding FAs worth paying mid to large money to so I don't understand the rationale in cutting him to free up money.

If the goal is to add talent and win games, how does letting Budda go help? We saw how impactful adding replacement level talent to replace actual NFL players is in 2023. Why go through that again unless you absolutely need that money for a specific player? Cap space isn't winning anything.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The only reason for the Cardinals to let Budda go is if he wants to go and they let him, or if they can sign 3x more FAs than I feel they can overall and need his 14.6 mil. Personally, I believe they will have a tough time finding FAs worth paying mid to large money to so I don't understand the rationale in cutting him to free up money.

If the goal is to add talent and win games, how does letting Budda go help? We saw how impactful adding replacement level talent to replace actual NFL players is in 2023. Why go through that again unless you absolutely need that money for a specific player? Cap space isn't winning anything.

100%. This is obviously different than the DHop situation since BB is a good/great culture fit. For JG he's part of the solution, although an extremely expensive one at this point.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow! A 19 million dollar 2024 cap hit for our above average free safety! Not good!

A restructure would be the best way to go. There's some incentive for BB to take a deal that would pay him less than 19 million but a bit more than his projected value as a free agent. Hopefully that's what happens!

Worst case scenario is that he would be outright cut! However, there 1000% must be a fool-proof plan to replace his productivity and leadership if we have to use this option! I'd rather we pay the 19 million for one year rather than replace him with an UDFA or sixth round draft pick!

Can't restructure someone with on a year left. Has to be an extension or traded/cut.

I don't think Budda is worth more than $10m because I think we could easily replace him on the field for that amount. But I just don't see him taking that money. So a parting of ways might be the only way.

It's going to be like Badger all over again where he won't take less, gets cut, then has to take even less on the open market.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Because he's not actually been that good since 2021?

People acting like Budda is Minkah or Jessie Bates when he wasn't even the best safety on the team. His recovery speed, coverage skills and ability to play the ball are all very average for a free safety. Which is where he mostly plays.

Having players that are worth $10m earning $19m is not how you build good rosters.

The only logical reason to keep him would be because we don't need the money because we can't sign the FA's we want or need. But I don't see that happening, or at least, the idea that teams who had poor seasons can't operate effectively in FA isn't borne out by NFL history.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

People acting like Budda is Minkah or Jessie Bates when he wasn't even the best safety on the team. His recovery speed, coverage skills and ability to play the ball are all very average for a free safety. Which is where he mostly plays.

Having players that are worth $10m earning $19m is not how you build good rosters.

The only logical reason to keep him would be because we don;t need the money because we can't sign the FA's we want or need. But I don't see that happening, or at least, the idea that teams who had poor seasons can't operate effectively in FA isn't borne out by NFL history.
The old cap space argument again. We already have a gazillion holes that need filled in FA. I get what he's saying. Unless you're specifically going to actually use that money to upgrade the position, then why bother making another hole to fill? Also, there are other logical reasons to keep him. His stature within the franchise and in the locker room isn't nothing. Jettisoning him may also make other FAs question coming here.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whenever I watch Budda Baker, I always think "what is it that he does well? Doesn't seem to be coverage. Is he another rah rah close to the line of scrimmage small guy Keim seemed obsessed with?"
The old cap space argument again. We already have a gazillion holes that need filled in FA. I get what he's saying. Unless you're specifically going to actually use that money to upgrade the position, then why bother making another hole to fill? Also, there are other logical reasons to keep him. His stature within the franchise and in the locker room isn't nothing. Jettisoning him may also make other FAs question coming here.
Ya, not nothing, but is he any good on the field? That is what I want to know. If not, he can be replaced.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well I'm specifically suggesting we use that money to upgrade the position. Or several positions.

Great players get cut/traded all the time. It's the business. I don't see why it would affect players coming here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Whenever I watch Budda Baker, I always think "what is it that he does well? Doesn't seem to be coverage. Is he another rah rah close to the line of scrimmage small guy Keim seemed obsessed with?"
I think the past two years he's been a guy who kept a lid on the opposing offense. He actually is a rangy player, even if he's not a ball hawk. We've been running out rookies and garbage at corner with almost no pass rush help the past two years; the safeties have been the guys covering up for poor cornerback play whenever possible, and that's fallen quite a bit on Budda.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the past two years he's been a guy who kept a lid on the opposing offense. He actually is a rangy player, even if he's not a ball hawk. We've been running out rookies and garbage at corner with almost no pass rush help the past two years; the safeties have been the guys covering up for poor cornerback play whenever possible, and that's fallen quite a bit on Budda.
Which ones? Outside the division? Ya, okay, he deserves some benefit of the doubt based on the players around him. This includes you Jalen Thompson.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This. We could do a lot worse. To hell with the cap space when it comes to him. There is going to be more youth added this year to the defense. His experience and leadership will be needed. And maybe, just maybe, he will have more of an impact if surrounding talent can do their job.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What's the general feeling on Budda?

He has a $19m (yikes) cap hit in 2024 for a free safety. Think what you could get for $19m. Julian Love, the other NFC Pro Bowl safety is on $6m per.

For me, he either has to be extended for much less money, or traded. Although to trade him we would either have to eat some of his deal, or he has to agree to a new contract in the trade. It's a deep FA group too.

While I'm sure the Org love his attitude I'm not sure they love it for $19m on a rebuilding team.

Even funnier is Jamal Adams has a $27m cap hit next year with $21m dead cap and was benched by the Seahawks last year.
I think Budda restructures and is extended through 2025 or 2026.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think Budda restructures and is extended through 2025 or 2026.
This is the Fitz/Boldin challenge. How are you going to take less than Jalen Thompson if you're Budda Baker? Thompson has a $7.5 million salary and $13 million cap hold in 2025.

You can get Budda off the books altogether in 2025, or you can limp around with $25 million+ in cap space at the safety position.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the Fitz/Boldin challenge. How are you going to take less than Jalen Thompson if you're Budda Baker? Thompson has a $7.5 million salary and $13 million cap hold in 2025.

You can get Budda off the books altogether in 2025, or you can limp around with $25 million+ in cap space at the safety position.
Poop. He stays then. Collect them checks and wave that towel, Budda.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes. I don't see the point of the most expensive player on a poor defense being the furthest away from the ball. Especially as his ball skills are terrible and his best asset is tackling down around the line of scrimmage. Something that isn't worth $19m. We pay Kyzir White $6m to do the same.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Paying Budda big money makes about as much sense to me as paying Hollywood. The cost just doesn't even come close to matching the production.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort