Let’s build a bad ass defense!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can talk about Drake( I want him) and receivers and the o-line all day and rightfully so.

We can help this offense greatly by putting together a nasty defense.
I think we need to add 4 essential cant miss pieces. And there are different roads to chose.
Inside linebacker. I’m on the Littleton train but that would be an awful lot of money to tie up on two inside linebackers. Hopeful solution? Isiah Simmons.

Outside linebacker. We could add one in the draft but do we really want two rookies starting at such a key position of need. I refuse to believe Reddick is the answer. Maybe he is but I’m not rolling the dice on that. Hopeful solution? Vic Beasley. But following my thoughts do any of you have a comparable free agent. Some will say Dupree but I don’t thing he’s leaving Pittsburg and again he would cost a bunch.

D-line. Here is where I would like all of your input. Jason Pierre-Paul comes to mind but I have no idea what he would cost. I want to add another inside presence so keep cost in mind. Michael Pierce? Gerald McCoy( 1 year deal) but neither will come cheap. How about CC?

Keep the budget in mind because we will want to keep some of current players for depth.

Many of you will want to add safety to this list. But again there is only so much money to go around. I just think if we can add an olb, and ilb, a de and dt we could REALLY upgrade this defense and eliminate any excuses ( barring massive injuries) for Vance Joseph.

I would love to see all of your thoughts and solutions to make this defense a top 10 defense next year.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This draft is so stacked at WR, OT, and RB...I would focus on the D in free agency.

Calais Campbell (trade) 15m for 2020
Kyler Fackrell OLB - He is not a star but he is as good as Golden IMO and will be less expensive.

If PP21 stays and plays to his ability...our secondary is solid.

Simmons would be nasty at #8 but not sure he makes it there.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Good idea but somewhere a passing offense needs a dominant receiver. Sign Humphries. Go Receiver Rd 1 (unless Lamb & Jeudy are gone) and if you don’t get a RT in FA you have to take one in Rd 2. Then all defense unless something amazing drops or you had the best FA in history.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea but somewhere a passing offense needs a dominant receiver. Sign Humphries. Go Receiver Rd 1 (unless Lamb & Jeudy are gone) and if you don’t get a RT in FA you have to take one in Rd 2. Then all defense unless something amazing drops or you had the best FA in history.
I get the wish list for a wr, but this defense was awful. I can’t believe the draft is going to solve our defensive woes.

And wouldn’t a much improved top 10 defense help this offense?

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We're not going full Browns unless we fire KK, hire Shermur, and trade up for Joe Burrow. DO IT!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It won't if we wait until round 3 to address. Take Brown or Simmons in round 1.
Brown way gone; Simmons likely gone though Herbert helped those of you rooting for Simmons.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Brown way gone; Simmons likely gone though Herbert helped those of you rooting for Simmons.
My main argument against WR in round 1 and OT instead is that the gap between the OT's in round 1 and round 2 is greater than the gap between WRs in round 1 and round 2.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My main argument against WR in round 1 and OT instead is that the gap between the OT's in round 1 and round 2 is greater than the gap between WRs in round 1 and round 2.

we can wait till round 2 or 3 to draft a WR. Matter fact I see a bunch of them falling because the class is so deep a lot of teams thinking they can get one later

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at this defense. Come up with any combination you’d like that will include an inside and outside linebacker, a de and a dt.
Whether it’s draft or free agency I believe this is the minimum we need to add to this defense to see a dramatic improvement.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We can talk about Drake( I want him) and receivers and the o-line all day and rightfully so.

I think we need to add 3 essential cant miss pieces. And there are different roads to chose.
Inside linebacker. I’m on the Littleton train but that would be an awful lot of money to tie up on two inside linebackers. Hopeful solution? Isiah Simmons.

Outside linebacker. We could add one in the draft but do we really want two rookies starting at such a key position of need. I refuse to believe Reddick is the answer. Maybe he is but I’m not rolling the dice on that. Hopeful solution? Vic Beasley. But following my thoughts do any of you have a comparable free agent. Some will say Dupree but I don’t thing he’s leaving Pittsburg and again he would cost a bunch.

D-line. Here is where I would like all of your input. Jason Pierre-Paul comes to mind but I have no idea what he would cost. I want to add another inside presence so keep cost in mind. Michael Pierce? Gerald McCoy( 1 year deal) but neither will come cheap. How about CC?

Keep the budget in mind because we will want to keep some of current players for depth.

Many of you will want to add safety to this list. But again there is only some much money to go around. I just think if we can add an olb, and ilb, a de and dt we could REALLY upgrade this defense and eliminate any excuses ( barring massive injuries) for Vance Joseph.

I would love to see all of your thoughts and solutions to make this defense a top 10 defense next year.

I like your plan. Since dreaming is free, imagine Clowney opposite of Jones, Gerald McCoy and Isiah Simmons.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get the wish list for a wr, but this defense was awful. I can’t believe the draft is going to solve our defensive woes.

And wouldn’t a much improved top 10 defense help this offense?
Yes sir, spot on. Although Harry is right, we do need a true #1 WR, offense isn't what held this team back this season, that was the defense. Our defense cost us 4-5 more wins this season. It needs to be fixed like yesterday lol. DL is an absolute mess & we need LB's. I'd hold off on the safety position for now, the way Jalen Thompson played gives me hope with him. VJ talked about the plans they have for Dionte Thompson also.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
To win the division we are going to need a number one WR but we are not at the cusp of that consideration since we cannot cover a TE. Don't like the idea of drafting a ILB in round one that early but that one aspect of our defense is the most prominent reason why while being competitive we could still not win. I am aware each draft has their own strengths and you have to have that draft come to you... this draft might dictate we do take a WR because that is where the talent is for the first

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think you're right here, but man, Murray badly needs a true stud WR.

Wirfs, Willis, and Thomas all have some big plus to their games. I think I go Wirfs because he has already played RT.

Humphries-Pugh-Shipley/Cole-Sweezy-Wirfs.

That can be a good offensive line that can pass block fairly well, but would be a good run blocking line.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To win the division we are going to need a number one WR but we are not at the cusp of that consideration since we cannot cover a TE. Don't like the idea of drafting a ILB in round one that early but that one aspect of our defense is the most prominent reason why while being competitive we could still not win. I am aware each draft has their own strengths and you have to have that draft come to you... this draft might dictate we do take a WR because that is where the talent is for the first
True. But help me solve my problem. Draft a wr if you want but come up with a plan to add 2 linebackers and 2 d lineman to make this defense respectable.

We could sign Littleton but man that is a lot of $ for two inside linebackers. But then maybe we could find an edge rusher in the second, this still needing a DT and an olb in free agency. we cannot solve this defenses problems with just rookies.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we are going to go defense heavy in free agency as it’s the quickest way to improve ( assuming Keim gets it right ), and fill in spots on both sides via draft. We are much closer on offense than defense.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
True. But help me solve my problem. Draft a wr if you want but come up with a plan to add 2 linebackers and 2 d lineman to make this defense respectable.

We could sign Littleton but man that is a lot of $ for two inside linebackers. But then maybe we could find an edge rusher in the second, this still needing a DT and an olb in free agency. we cannot solve this defenses problems with just rookies.

This team is going to have to at least get to eight wins next year and be relevant late into the season for Kingsbury or especially Keim to feel comfortable. For the sake of our young QB and his confidence and growth of young players you will need to win to justify your direction after this season that their initial bumps and bruises have worth. I would shell the money out on defense in free agency, that simple. By no means is our OL all peaches and cream but it's sure a lot more bearable than our DL. The objective is to fill this roster as if you can field a team even without the draft, by this make sure you have no glaring needs so you have some freedom in the draft. Of course this is provided we are able to keep a guy like Humphries because you are not going to find LTs usually in free agency or want a rookie LT protecting your young QB at this juncture of his career. I would go all out on defense in free agency and keep the offense at a status quo to then upgrade in the draft, this offense has shown it can at least function while the defense has shown otherwise... I think the last three games was enough to give Vance Joseph a chance, but not the overall talent currently in place

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think we need to add 4 essential cant miss pieces. And there are different roads to chose.

Many of you will want to add safety to this list. But again there is only so much money to go around. I just think if we can add an olb, and ilb, a de and dt we could REALLY upgrade this defense and eliminate any excuses ( barring massive injuries) for Vance Joseph.

I’m with you. How cool would it be to see defense picked all 7 rounds? I feel like Ozzie Newsome used to do this back when he was building those ridiculously stacked D’s Baltimore had in the early 2000’s.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Still think the draft is dictated by what we bring in free agency. I think FA will be defense heavy and draft will be more balanced.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Dupree and Littleton are attainable. Both PIT & LAR have salary cap issues and probably won’t tag either of them. Pass rusher and ILB should be top FA priorities that way offensive needs, OL & WR can be addressed early and remainder of draft can used to add depth at CB, DL & other positions of need.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you're right here, but man, Murray badly needs a true stud WR.

Wirfs, Willis, and Thomas all have some big plus to their games. I think I go Wirfs because he has already played RT.

Humphries-Pugh-Shipley/Cole-Sweezy-Wirfs.

That can be a good offensive line that can pass block fairly well, but would be a good run blocking line.
I agree that Murray needs more weapons. I just don't believe you have to take a WR at 8 to acquire them.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
We had a nasty defense......Keim DESTROYED it.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson