Let’s Play GM

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The point is, and one that I feel is missed by some, is that you don't need Pro Bowlers around a good NFL QB to compete. The Texans are showing that. They aren't a "good team" but they compete. Stroud makes a make-shift OL, RB unit, and WR unit work. That defense is flawed, but they added some pieces and can slow some teams down. That is significant progress in one off-season to go from a laughingstock to a competitive team.
The most important thing for a QB is an Oline… Stroud has been phenomenal but that isn’t a make shift Oline. 2 first rounders as tackles, Tunsil is arguably a top 3 tackle in the league… and early 2nd rounder at guard. 3rd rounder at center and a 4th rounder at the other guard position. All younger guys as well. That’s some invested talent right there. He’s in the middle of the pack as far as sacks this season, which I’d argue rookies typically hold the ball longer.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't see a path where this team is competitive without Baker on the roster. The roster is too talent deficient.
Have you noticed a marked difference whether he's on or off the field this year?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
When Baker is healthy he is on the field for 100% of the snaps on defense.
That's not what I asked. Have you noticed a marked difference whether he's on or off the field this year? People constantly talk about how good Baker is, yet Thompson flashes so much more.

I also don't agree with the premise that our competitiveness is reliant on either having or not having Baker. He's a good player but not really a difference maker.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not what I asked. Have you noticed a marked difference whether he's on or off the field this year? People constantly talk about how good Baker is, yet Thompson flashes so much more.

I also don't agree with the premise that our competitiveness is reliant on either having or not having Baker. He's a good player but not really a difference maker.

Sorry. Thought you were asking about snap counts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't see a path where this team is competitive without Baker on the roster. The roster is too talent deficient.

I don't think that Baker makes much of a difference between a competitive vs. non-competitive team. Doesn't mean you have to release him, but I don't think he makes the difference in many games.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If you want to see a true difference maker, check out what happened when JJ Watt went down during the magical 2021 run.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think that Baker makes much of a difference between a competitive vs. non-competitive team. Doesn't mean you have to release him, but I don't think he makes the difference in many games.
What do you think he would fetch in return for a trade? I know he is highly regarded as a top safety, but what is that worth against his contract?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
We beat Dallas without Baker and Wallace was every bit as productive as him.

Keeping Baker means committing nearly $30m/year to 2 safeties.

We will be #1 in cap spending for safeties. No thank you.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I would rather have him on the team for leadership and performance than a 6th or 7th round pick for sure.
He’s one man on a team void of talent. We’re asking him to stop 11 holes in the dam. Geez, we can’t keep letting good players just walk away.
We can fix other shortcomings on the defense but we have to build by addition not by subtraction.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s one man on a team void of talent. We’re asking him to stop 11 holes in the dam. Geez, we can’t keep letting good players just walk away.
We can fix other shortcomings on the defense but we have to build by addition not by subtraction.
Being a difference maker at the strong safety spot should be forcing turnovers, making some interceptions and offering an adequate contribution in coverage
his strenght was his toughness tackling ability and making plays near the line of scrimmage, I m not seeing the budda baker of couple of years a go, unfortunately he is never been a ballhawk
At today he looks like a slightly above average safety being paid like an elite
I understand the importance of his leadership but as many said we can't afford 30 million in a not premium position
Its time to use the money to drastically upgrade our trenches, if this is still ignored we deserve to be where we are right now

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you want to see a true difference maker, check out what happened when JJ Watt went down during the magical 2021 run.
Difference making at S is different than difference making at DL. It is laughable to believe that any one player has the ability to make much of a difference on a defense with this many holes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Being a difference maker in the strong safety spot should be forcing turnovers, making some interceptions and offering an adequate contribution in coverage
his strenght was his toughness tackling ability and making plays near the line of scrimmage, I m not seeing the budda baker of couple of years a go, unfortunately he is never been a ballhawk
At today he looks like a slightly above average safety being paid like an elite
I understand the importance of his leadership but as many said we can't afford 30 million in a not premium position
Its time to use the money to drastically upgrade our trenches, if this is still ignored we deserve to be where we are right now
Again, it depends on what your goal is. If we trade Kyler, you can justify trading Budda Baker. You need the money more at that point. If we keep Kyler, your goal should be to be competitive, and I believe the Cardinals already have enough money to improve the roster to the degree FA will enable them to do so. Why create another hole you can't fill by letting go of a top NFL player at their position when you have hardly any other players like that.

Yes, ideally you would let Baker go. But also, ideally, you wouldn't have a roster so completely devoid of talent.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I do. I feel as you become more competitive it will be more pronounced. This roster can't afford another hole to fill.
Thompson and a mid tier FA would be far less expensive than Thompson/Baker. Baker isn't taking much less than top 5 safety money. As you mentioned, we have a lot of holes to fill. It'll be much easier to fill a 2nd safety than our holes on the D-line/CB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thompson and a mid tier FA would be far less expensive than Thompson/Baker. Baker isn't taking much less than top 5 safety money. As you mentioned, we have a lot of holes to fill. It'll be much easier to fill a 2nd safety than our holes on the D-line/CB.
I don't think we're spending at corner.

If you think of Budda as a hybrid base safety/nickely DB, you can kind of justify the expense if he's a plus leader. I don't think the savings of getting rid of Budda and replacing him with Charcare will yield a significantly better free agent at a position of need.

I have zero interest in saving Michael Bidwill money, that's for sure.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't think we're spending at corner.

If you think of Budda as a hybrid base safety/nickely DB, you can kind of justify the expense if he's a plus leader. I don't think the savings of getting rid of Budda and replacing him with Charcare will yield a significantly better free agent at a position of need.

I have zero interest in saving Michael Bidwill money, that's for sure.
Yeah, if nobody of note wants to come here, that's a whole different problem.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, ideally you would let Baker go. But also, ideally, you wouldn't have a roster so completely devoid of talent.
Basically is the same concept made by Keim when he traded and extended Ertz
Keep one of your best(presumed) player cause u can't avoid missing another piece in a depleted roster
I'm arguing about spending money in positions where u can find adequate and cheaper replacement
Bidwill doesn't like to spend extra money, he is not very favorable in restructuring contracts and turning the money to upgrade other positions like other franchises do when they have cap issues (49ers Rams...)
So the contract to budda exclude another top free agent contract.
Let me ask u
If u have to decide about signing Watkins or keeping Budda, what would be your choice?

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Difference making at S is different than difference making at DL. It is laughable to believe that any one player has the ability to make much of a difference on a defense with this many holes.
Hmm… interesting that this thought doesnt apply to so many on this board regarding the offense