Let’s get real here.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your expectations for 2024? Taking YOUR idea of what should happen this off season what are your realistic expectations.

I expect to see us move on free agency but probably not as much as we’d like. At minimum I want us to sign a bigger Wr. I’m not expecting Higgins or Pittman. That’s a pipe dream. I’d be happy with a guy like Gabe Davis. Big, fast and young.
I’d also like to see us sign an above average guard.
Retain any current players on this roster that can at least be solid depth.
Adding to the defense we could just about look at any position except safety.
We are not signing Chris Jones. However an above average DLineman would be nice.

In the draft, assuming Kyler is going to be our Qb, MHJ is a no brainer.
The rest of the draft would be focused on the defense. Again, just about any position added will be a plus. Edge, d-line, cb, ILB all would help.

I expect growth from this coaching staff.

I think doing this would get us to 8-9 wins and be in the hunt for a playoff spot barring any catastrophic injuries. I don’t think 8-9 wins is being overly optimistic. The one caveat is Kyler. Does he improve enough and benefit enough from the surrounding talent?

If MO and JG determine Kyler is not their guy, we’ll, that’s a whole different story.

What say you?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
like you said-- it all depends on MO and JG and what they think of K1 moving forward.
Assuming he is their guy then i expect them to move some of kylers money around and expand their cap even more and hammer the draft and free agency.

MHJ is a no brainer, but i could also see MO trading down ( and quite frankly wouldnt mind that ) Securing the future of this teams roster in these next 1-2 drafts is priority number one. Free agency i look for MO to land character guys with high upside on talent. I expect at least one big signing. This team needs more veteran leadership beside budda and kizer

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I need to see the final draft order in order to make a detailed opinion.

But the big question is Kyler's status on the team. I personally think Kyler has shown enough. Coming off an injury, not a lot of targets, no help from the defense and in a new system.

There is a posibility that a team will throw everything at us for the #2 pick. If that happens, I would take it. The team needs talent and the draft is incrediblely talented at WR, so you can pick up an elite talent not named MHJ later.
More importantly, that would give us an extra 1st rounder next year, so there is insurance in case we have to move on from Kyler and the team will have draftcapital to move up and get a QB.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to see the final draft order in order to make a detailed opinion.

But the big question is Kyler's status on the team. I personally think Kyler has shown enough. Coming off an injury, not a lot of targets, no help from the defense and in a new system.

There is a posibility that a team will throw everything at us for the #2 pick. If that happens, I would take it. The team needs talent and the draft is incrediblely talented at WR, so you can pick up an elite talent not named MHJ later.
More importantly, that would give us an extra 1st rounder next year, so there is insurance in case we have to move on from Kyler and the team will have draftcapital to move up and get a QB.
We have 12 picks already. I can’t stand the thought of looking back in three years to find We passed on the next Justin Jefferson or Fitz.
We have 3 of the top 34 picks and 3 more in the top 100. We have free agency to boot. There is no reason to think with the draft capital and free agency that we can’t be competitive next year.
If this front office can make halfway decent decisions and get a little luck staying healthy we shot AT LEAST be competing for a playoff spot this time year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We have 12 picks already. I can’t stand the thought of looking back in three years to find We passed on the next Justin Jefferson or Fitz.
We have 3 of the top 34 picks and 3 more in the top 100. We have free agency to boot. There is no reason to think with the draft capital and free agency that we can’t be competitive next year.
If this front office can make halfway decent decisions and get a little luck staying healthy we shot AT LEAST be competing for a playoff spot this time year.
Ex-fricking-actly!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. I can't decide what is the right decision on Kyler. I'm not really sure what to expect from him, or from Drake Maye.

Without knowing what to expect from by far the most important position I don't think you can remotely predict anything.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
My point was that the draft is very talented at WR this year - like the 2020 was with Jefferson, where he was drafted at #22 as the 5th WR. According to rankings MHJ is not that much further ahead of Nabers. But with that being said, I would prefer trading dwon to #3 for a stockpile of extra picks.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I expect:

1. Monty to keep Kyler. At least for next year.
2. The team to spend modestly in F.A. while truly hoping to build primarily through the draft.
3. The team to see major improvement yet fall just short of making the playoffs.

2025 should be a playoff year, or this thing got sideways on us.

Stout

Reaction score
I expect:

2. The team to spend modestly in F.A. while truly hoping to build primarily through the draft.
3. The team to see major improvement yet fall just short of making the playoffs.

Monti has no excuse to "spend modestly" in FA. He backed himself into a corner last offseason. If we don't want to be a 4-5 year rebuild--and, honestly, that just means one regime got fired and we're starting with another one--he pretty much has to attack FA.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Well said. Take impact players when you can get them. There's a reason teams are trying to trade up with you. I'm great with taking MH at 2 or 3. He's the best player in the draft. Trading back to draft a lesser prospect to add a #1 next year will likely result in 2 decent players vs. a superstar difference maker.

Look at this draft is all you need to know. Everyone was ecstatic with getting the Texans pick thinking we'd have 2 top 5 picks. That pick could easily be in the 20's and, while still has value, it's not even close to what we thought we were getting.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect:

When you say spend modesty do you mean going after mid tier FAs vs a big name FA or do you mean not spending all the available cap money?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say spend modesty do you mean going after mid tier FAs vs a big name FA or do you mean not spending all the available cap money?
I don’t think this team is in any position to sign a huge free agent like Chris Jones or Tee Higgins
So something less than that. It’s going to be REAL interesting to see what we target in free agency.
Bidwill sees the empty seats. He sees what the media has been saying. He can’t possibly want this front office to sit back and not spend some money.

Stout

Reaction score
I don’t think this team is in any position to sign a huge free agent like Chris Jones or Tee Higgins
So something less than that. It’s going to be REAL interesting to see what we target in free agency.
Bidwill sees the empty seats. He sees what the media has been saying. He can’t possibly want this front office to sit back and not spend some money.
How could that be possible? Not only have we plenty of cap space from this year, we rolled over all that cap space from last year. We could get a couple of top FAs like Chris Jones or Tee Higgins if Monti and Bidwill really wanted to, as well as other lower-tier FAs. Easily. The cap is a mirage to boot. I'm not saying it's the way to go, but please let's not excuse the FO for being absolute cheapskates before the fact.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same Bidwill here???

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How could that be possible? Not only have we plenty of cap space from this year, we rolled over all that cap space from last year. We could get a couple of top FAs like Chris Jones or Tee Higgins if Monti and Bidwill really wanted to, as well as other lower-tier FAs. Easily. The cap is a mirage to boot. I'm not saying it's the way to go, but please let's not excuse the FO for being absolute cheapskates before the fact.
Come on. Guys like Jones and Higgins are going to teams that believe they are “ one or two” players away from a ring.
Do you really believe if given a choice either one of those guys are going to want to come here? Not unless we were willing to SEVERELY overpay.

Let’s sign a very good guard. Let’s sign a bigger and better Wr to replace Brown. Maybe a DT that is a step below Jones or any upgrade to the front 7.

We need a lot of ice cream before we buy the whip cream and cherries.

Stout

Reaction score
Come on. Guys like Jones and Higgins are going to teams that believe they are “ one or two” players away from a ring.
Do you really believe if given a choice either one of those guys are going to want to come here? Not unless we were willing to SEVERELY overpay.

Let’s sign a very good guard. Let’s sign a bigger and better Wr to replace Brown. Maybe a DT that is a step below Jones or any upgrade to the front 7.

We need a lot of ice cream before we buy the whip cream and cherries.
Ah, you're saying they don't want to come here, not that we can't afford them. Gotcha.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, you're saying they don't want to come here, not that we can't afford them. Gotcha.
A little bit of both.

If you need a shirt, underwear, socks and pants, you don’t spend all your money on a pair of shoes! Lol!

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Monty is going to try and build doing the opposite of Keim. Keim was sometimes notorious for bringing in aging and oft injured players.

I could see Monty dishing out some sizable contracts to players still in their prime. But overall I suspect he will not look to max out the salary cap. I think they will want another year to evaluate Kyler and want to have cap flexibility.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think we are going to be really disappointed with FA. No player wants to sign on to this dumpster fire of a team. You have to win, or show the ability to win to get premier FA.

Our best chance to improve is through the draft. If we are able to get something for Murray and take Maye, I would do it. If not, I would take MHJ and hope that Murray improves, but I think that ship has sailed.

If Monti is smart, he will take BPA at #2...which is either MHJ or Maye...and then he will spend the next 4 picks building up the O and D Line.

We are a top rushing team with a pretty crappy O-Line, and a QB who is averaging like 200 ypg almost exclusively to a TE. If we improve the O-Line, and add a WR, there is no reason to think we can't improve on offense with or without Murray.

Defense needs a ton of help, and while I would love to get an Edge and a CB...I dont know how the board will fall. What I can guarentee is we could get 2 starting Dlineman in the first 100 picks of this draft.

Stout

Reaction score
I think Monty is going to try and build doing the opposite of Keim. Keim was sometimes notorious for bringing in aging and oft injured players.

I could see Monty dishing out some sizable contracts to players still in their prime. But overall I suspect he will not look to max out the salary cap. I think they will want another year to evaluate Kyler and want to have cap flexibility.
This would make Monti public enemy number one to me. Punt on TWO straight FA periods? Bah.