Let’s Play GM

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’d like you to create 2 lists. First starters you would retain. Feel free to move them if you desire, like Johnson to LT, if you choose. Second create a list of current roster players you’d keep as backups, special team players, etc. Please don’t keep a ridiculously expensive player for special teams.

Since we’ll get into free agency later, don’t say I’ll keep this guy if we sign this guy. Ignore free agency.

The same with the draft. Don’t say I’ll keep this guy if we draft this guy.

Forget trades. If you don’t keep them we‘ll assume they’re cut or traded. Doesn’t matter which.

Forget the cap, rate on talent only. I know real world would ask if their cost makes sense.

Just focus on the roster. Who will you keep? Who will you start? I’m expecting many holes.

I just want to get some consensus on what the Cards have of value and what holes they must fill.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot to ask. I feel like this year didn't move us forward. We are in worse shape than a year ago. Instead of answers, we have more questions. You would like to say at least some of these guys we brought in, beyond 4 or 5 of our drafts picks (potentially), are guys to help build on. But that just hasn't happened. Our top vets are still all holdovers from Keim Time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot to ask. I feel like this year didn't move us forward. We are in worse shape than a year ago. Instead of answers, we have more questions. You would like to say at least some of these guys we brought in, beyond 4 or 5 of our drafts picks (potentially), are guys to help build on. But that just hasn't happened. Our top vets are still all holdovers from Keim Time.
Kyzir White was a good pickup. He’s pretty much the only guy we brought in that could be part of a foundation. One guy. For an entire season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyzir White was a good pickup. He’s pretty much the only guy we brought in that could be part of a foundation. One guy. For an entire season.
Yeah, he is the best. But even him, I see as a good 2nd string rotational type player than ride him for 60 plays stud.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t do this simply because I feel there are players that are not top line starters but would be adequate depth and yet some may still be starters next year because we can’t replace 15 guys.

For instance I would sign the best OG I could and I would draft an OT. Which means two of our current starters would be gone.
I would draft a Wr and/or sign a guy like Pittman which means Brown would be gone.
I would draft 2 Dt which means two current starters would be gone.

I know this isn’t what you’re looking for but I’m not qualified to grade individual players. I only see apparent holes and weaknesses.
WR, O-Line, D-line, CB and depth just about anywhere is needed.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Starters
RT - Johnson
TE - McBride
ILB - White
FS - Thompson

Depth
RB - Conner
WR - Wilson
OLB - Ojulari
CB - Williams

I'm really not sure there are many guys beyond these 8 worth keeping, and a few of them are on the list because they are super young.

I have been a huge Kyler advocate for quite a while, but I am starting to accept that the old Kyler isn't coming back. He looks like a totally different QB outside of the running.

This is a very bad team that with absolutely no identity. The path forward without a high pick from Houston also seems much murkier. Sean Payton has to be pretty happy with his decision right now.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking into account contracts...these are the only people I would have on the team right now

Kyzer White
Paris Johnson
Will Hernandez
BJ Oulari
Trey McBride
Michael Wilson
Ke'Trel Clark

Don't say Prater. Our kicker will be the 10th highest paid player in 2024. That's an egregious waste of resurces.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Starters
RT - Johnson
TE - McBride
ILB - White
FS - Thompson

Depth
RB - Conner
WR - Wilson
OLB - Ojulari
CB - Williams

I'm really not sure there are many guys beyond these 8 worth keeping, and a few of them are on the list because they are super young.

I have been a huge Kyler advocate for quite a while, but I am starting to accept that the old Kyler isn't coming back. He looks like a totally different QB outside of the running.

This is a very bad team that with absolutely no identity. The path forward without a high pick from Houston also seems much murkier. Sean Payton has to be pretty happy with his decision right now.
I think this is a bit overblown and I feel I am fairly critical of this team.

Starters
RB - James Conner
TE - Trey McBride
LT - DJ Humphries
RG - Will Hernandez
RT - Paris Johnson

LB - Kyzir White
S - Budda Baker
S - Jalen Thompson

Non-rookies worth a roster spot
RB - Michael Carter
TE - Geoff Swaim (re-sign)
WR - Rondale Moore
WR - Greg Dortch RFA
WR - Zach Pascal
C - Froholdt
OT - Kelvin Beachum

DL - Jonathan Ledbetter RFA
DL - Kevin Strong (re-sign)
EDGE - Zaven Collins
EDGE - Dennis Gardeck
EDGE - Victor Dimukeje
ILB - Kkyrs Barnes
ILB - Josh Woods
CB - Antonio Hamilton

Rookies who can be rotational players or better
EDGE - BJ Ojulari
WR - Michael Wilson
CB - Garrett Wilson
CB - KeiTrel Clark
CB - Starling Thomas
DT - Dante Stills

Rookies who I have no clue about
Owen Pappoe
Clayton Tune
Jon Gaines

I am sure there are a couple reserve OL who are worth keeping. I don't hate our secondary without Marco Wilson.

In terms of FA, the front 5 is an absolute need. Adding a LG also is a need. Adding a cheap vet S would be nice but the draft could offer one. I could get behind the idea of adding Derrick Henry at RB especially if we draft a QB. What he is looking for dollar wise would be the question.

The issue with this team continues to be the QB. The rest can be fixed if the team decides it wants to try. Kyler just isn't looking like an NFL QB and if you keep him, GM and coaches are likely getting fired in two years so none of it really matters.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Starters
RB - James Conner
TE - Trey McBride
LT - DJ Humphries
RG - Will Hernandez
RT - Paris Johnson

LB - Kyzir White
S - Budda Baker
S - Jalen Thompson

RB - Michael Carter
WR - Rondale Moore
WR - Greg Dortch RFA
WR - Zach Pascal
C - Froholdt
OT - Kelvin Beachum

EDGE - Zaven Collins
EDGE - Dennis Gardeck
EDGE - Victor Dimukeje
ILB - Kkyrs Barnes
ILB - Josh Woods
CB - Antonio Hamilton

EDGE - BJ Ojulari
WR - Michael Wilson
CB - Garrett Wilson
CB - KeiTrel Clark
CB - Starling Thomas
DT - Dante Stills

Owen Pappoe
Clayton Tune
Jon Gaines

I am sure there are a couple reserve OL who are worth keeping. I don't hate our secondary without Marco Wilson.

In terms of FA, the front 5 is an absolute need. Adding a LG also is a need. Adding a cheap vet S would be nice but the draft could offer one. I could get behind the idea of adding Derrick Henry at RB especially if we draft a QB. What he is looking for dollar wise would be the question.

The issue with this team continues to be the QB. The rest can be fixed if the team decides it wants to try. Kyler just isn't looking like an NFL QB and if you keep him, GM and coaches are likely getting fired in two years so none of it really matters.

Conner makes 8.5 million next year. That's an overpay

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conner makes 8.5 million next year. That's an overpay
And he’s looking to get Derrick Henry too, who is finally hitting the wall. That would be a terrible allocation of resources.

Also, Humphrey Dumpfrey to fall off the wall. He’s an average at best LT. Needs to be replaced, especially at his salary.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, it's more about the GM than anything else. He makes all the decisions about the team, short of the owner.

Did the Cardinals hire the right GM to get the job done?

If they did, the Cardinals should be fine. They have a lot of assets in the draft and should be able to fill in the gaps in free agency and trade.

In James Jones first year as the Suns GM, the answer was obvious.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And he’s looking to get Derrick Henry too, who is finally hitting the wall. That would be a terrible allocation of resources.

Also, Humphrey Dumpfrey to fall off the wall. He’s an average at best LT. Needs to be replaced, especially at his salary.
We saw where trusting Kyler to pass the ball gets us. And if you draft a rookie, the Cardinals will need to run the ball. You want to have an identity, have Conner and Henry as your two RBs and run the ball. Obviously if Henry is demanding 8 mil, it is a pass.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, regarding Humphries. I get he is not playing to his contract but there is no way the line gets better by cutting him to save 9 mil. PJJ hasn't lit the world on fire and there is no guarantee he is any better at LT with less help. The RT FA class is trash and LT is about the same. Cutting quality NFL players to save a few bucks when you don't have anyone to replace them is the reason the Cardinals are in the position they are in this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What is funny is that no one is viewing the Texans as the example of how this can work with a rookie QB. If we are luck enough to be in a position to draft Maye, you can be a competitive team. You can find Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Noah Brown, George Fant, etc in FA. You just need a QB to elevate them. Maybe Maye is that guy, maybe not, but we are seeing Kyler isn't.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is funny is that no one is viewing the Texans as the example of how this can work with a rookie QB. If we are luck enough to be in a position to draft Maye, you can be a competitive team. You can find Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Noah Brown, George Fant, etc in FA. You just need a QB to elevate them. Maybe Maye is that guy, maybe not, but we are seeing Kyler isn't.
To be fair the Texans sucked for three seasons and got a huge windfall for trading Deshaun Watson. The had so much capital that they’d almost have to try to screw it up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
To be fair the Texans sucked for three seasons and got a huge windfall for trading Deshaun Watson. The had so much capital that they’d almost have to try to screw it up.
Kinda yeah, but what players did they really have prior to this draft? Tunsil, Nico Collins, Tytus Howard , Stingley and Jalen Pitre? Most of their roster was built this year by just adding pieces where ever they could.

EDIT: They had Maliek Collins as well. Gave him an extension.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you go down the list of the TExans...they added Stroud, Devin Singletary, Schultz, Woods, Dell, Shaw Mason, George Fant, Anderson, Rankins, Ward, Ridegway, Nelson, Ward, and Too'too all this year.

Literally added starting QB, RB2, WR2, WR3, TE1, C, RG, RT, DE, DT, LB, CB, NB, S all this year. Along with a bunch of additional players with varying levels of success.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Oline is in decent shape, look to add a G and C through FA and or draft.
Need better talent at WR, a vet and a draft pick.
RB rooms is decent, but cold draft another.

D line needs vets and draft picks
Cb needs vets and draft picks.
Ojulari is looking like the long term answer, but need another pass rusher.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to mention that their OC is from the Shanahan tree. We know how friendly his offense is to the QBs & WRs. We won’t have that same outlook.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Starters
RB - James Conner
TE - Trey McBride
LT - DJ Humphries
RG - Will Hernandez
RT - Paris Johnson

LB - Kyzir White
S - Budda Baker
S - Jalen Thompson

RB - Michael Carter
WR - Rondale Moore
WR - Greg Dortch RFA
WR - Zach Pascal
C - Froholdt
OT - Kelvin Beachum

EDGE - Zaven Collins
EDGE - Dennis Gardeck
EDGE - Victor Dimukeje
ILB - Kkyrs Barnes
ILB - Josh Woods
CB - Antonio Hamilton

EDGE - BJ Ojulari
WR - Michael Wilson
CB - Garrett Wilson
CB - KeiTrel Clark
CB - Starling Thomas
DT - Dante Stills

Owen Pappoe
Clayton Tune
Jon Gaines

I agree with pretty much all of this.

I think that any conclusions about our defense should be suspended. The Rams walked down the field more or less unimpeded all game yesterday. Matt Stafford completed 75% of his passes yesterday and tossed four TDs in our house. No one should feel good about our secondary.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Starters
RB - James Conner
TE - Trey McBride
LT - DJ Humphries
RG - Will Hernandez
RT - Paris Johnson

LB - Kyzir White
S - Budda Baker
S - Jalen Thompson

RB - Michael Carter
WR - Rondale Moore
WR - Greg Dortch RFA
WR - Zach Pascal
C - Froholdt
OT - Kelvin Beachum

EDGE - Zaven Collins
EDGE - Dennis Gardeck
EDGE - Victor Dimukeje
ILB - Kkyrs Barnes
ILB - Josh Woods
CB - Antonio Hamilton

EDGE - BJ Ojulari
WR - Michael Wilson
CB - Garrett Wilson
CB - KeiTrel Clark
CB - Starling Thomas
DT - Dante Stills

Owen Pappoe
Clayton Tune
Jon Gaines

Basically what Chopper said, thanks for saving me the time.

Only addition is I'd resign LJ Collier too, who won a starting job and looked pretty decent in his limited snaps. Also vet min guy.

Also that depth safety guy who's name I can't be bothered to go look up he's really good on ST's and had a couple of forced fumbles.