Interesting Comments

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stat was hurt that the offense was going through 3D, not through stat.

maybe on purpose or not, thats why stat wasn't looking for his shot or attacking.

i hope stat doesnt start talking about himself in the 3rd person. AJ or a defensive minded coach should put stat's ego in check.

stat says "stat was there for us tonight. stat dominated the game".

Kobe has been butchered on this board for the same thing.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
A comment that was omitted from the article but can be heard here:

Alridge: You've lost to the Spurs the last 3 years, is this team ever going to break through or do you need some changes?

Amare: You know what, as long as I'm here, we're gonna break through sooner or later. I'm tired of losing to these guys. I'm sick and fed up. It's just a matter of everyone putting hard work into their offseason and understanding what it takes to win. Not just working for the playoffs but for the championship. If we're gonna play one way in the playoffs, we have to play that way during the whole season..........I guarantee I'll be a better player next year.

Alridge: Where are you going to get better at?

Amare: Defensive, defensive awareness, every aspect of the game. I guarantee I'll be a better player.

Amare has to stick to his word and improve his defense and rebounding positioning. Judging from where he started as a rookie, I believe with the proper teaching, he can become a better than average defender.

To his credit, Amare has improved when he works on it. He worked on his outside game and now he's a decent shooter. He worked on his free throws, now he's serviceable at the line. This is the offseason of defense I hope.

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
I think Amare will get better at defense during the summer. I think it's not just that he doesn't try defensively, but he never has been taught how to be a good defender. I think he'll stick to his word.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I hope so. If Amare can become a decent defender, he will be the best damn player in the league for years to come, and Suns will be unstoppable.

OP
OP
WuRaider

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
I think Amare will get better at defense during the summer. I think it's not just that he doesn't try defensively, but he never has been taught how to be a good defender. I think he'll stick to his word.

Exactly. In the SI Report, there was mention that Kerr wanted D'Antoni to use more of the practice time on defense. Amare is a horrible defender but its clear that no one is teaching him.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've always questioned Stoudemire's selfishness and lack of intention to contribute other than score.

Players like Duncan, Barkley, Malone, Olajuwon, Robinson, Garnett etc... MVP caliber players...

When they know a team mate is a better go to guy in a specific game... they find another aspect of the game they focus on to help the team.

Barkley will grab 20 rebounds, Duncan will too... Robinson, Hakeem, they focused on defense.... Garnett focused on defense... etc.

Stoudemire?... He showed glimpses but... failed.

Thats why I wanted Marion to stay, when he is "cold"... he would still get you a 15 rebound game or a 5 steal... 5 block game.... while scoring 7-8 points off 3-4 shots.

No sacrifice.. No victory...

You need to find an aspect to contribute to help your team win..

I stated a few times, how crucial Stoudemire will play in the playoffs when the team really needs that dominant rebounder or defender who sacrifices his offense by focusing on defense... he failed... actually... didnt really try...

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mourning, Haslem... heck even Walker... when the Heat faced the Mavs... the defense and hustle these players put on to stop the Mavs... wow that was the type of sacrifice and contribution I expected from Stoudemire... O'neal?.. he tried, he was the Suns best rebounder and inside banger, he did miss a lot of free throws.. but thats a given... he's been bad at the line for 15 years... he simply cannot contribute there.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A comment that was omitted from the article but can be heard here:

Alridge: You've lost to the Spurs the last 3 years, is this team ever going to break through or do you need some changes?

Amare: You know what, as long as I'm here, we're gonna break through sooner or later. I'm tired of losing to these guys. I'm sick and fed up. It's just a matter of everyone putting hard work into their offseason and understanding what it takes to win. Not just working for the playoffs but for the championship. If we're gonna play one way in the playoffs, we have to play that way during the whole season..........I guarantee I'll be a better player next year.

Alridge: Where are you going to get better at?

Amare: Defensive, defensive awareness, every aspect of the game. I guarantee I'll be a better player.

Amare has to stick to his word and improve his defense and rebounding positioning. Judging from where he started as a rookie, I believe with the proper teaching, he can become a better than average defender.

Amare says the right things to get fans riled up to support him...

He's all words.... a politician....

I really like his offense, but he should stop lying about his efforts in defense... 6 seasons and all he knows is try to swat basketball to the stands....

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare runs his mouth alot and says all the things that need to be done, BUT he doesn't do them, commitment to defense is not in his game right now. He is lazy he doesn't want to expend the energy on the D cause he wants to score. We shall see especially if a new coach that focuses on D is brought in.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Stoudemire ever realizes that a big man dominating the boards and the inside defense is almost as good as a 50 point scoring night.... then he will be in the right direction...

I'd rather see Stoudemire put up 14 point 16 rebound 7 block games...

than 30 points 7 rebounds 2 blocks.....

nowagimp

Reaction score
To his credit, Amare has improved when he works on it. He worked on his outside game and now he's a decent shooter. He worked on his free throws, now he's serviceable at the line. This is the offseason of defense I hope.

Amare was going to do that last season, become the MIP in the NBA by getting better on defense. Hes starting to sound like an alky promising to quit drinking tomorrow. His attention span on defense is pathetic, he doesnt even have the will, let alone the know how or technique. The will to be a good defender must come first. Why do you thing the suns best defender, Raja, has so little respect for "team captain" amare? Its because he doesnt give consistent effort on defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love that Amare thinks he should ABSOLUTELY be the man. The Man doesn't miss every big FT he takes during the regular season when the pressure is relatively low, then not even attempt to switch on a critical wide-open 3 in regulation, then turn the ball over and thirty seconds charge into a guy in the last minute of overtime of a crucial Game 1 playoff game on the road.

get over yourself Amare. I once believed in this guy. Not anymore. He can down with the ship just like everyone else as far as I'm concerned.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His brain is the problem, he's just not very smart at all. Dude has all the talent and ability to be one of the best, problem is he wants to be a scorer. And as Cheese mentioned I swear he can hit almost every free throw until they somewhat matter then he throws up some bricks at crucial times. He needs to get over himself he is not a leader and definately not the leader of this team right now.

nowagimp

Reaction score
His brain is the problem, he's just not very smart at all. Dude has all the talent and ability to be one of the best, problem is he wants to be a scorer. And as Cheese mentioned I swear he can hit almost every free throw until they somewhat matter then he throws up some bricks at crucial times. He needs to get over himself he is not a leader and definately not the leader of this team right now.

Big ego plus small brain equals unteachable idiot. Arrogance("the man") and stupidity do not mix well in the learning world. I think Im starting to understand JJ's dislike for amare, wanting to leave the suns. I remember that they didnt get along, now I may understand it better. Amare needs to verbalize his "top dog position" at the expense of team unity .... what a loser, a very talented loser, but a loser nonetheless.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My apology. I forgot Amare is a God and we must not criticize him even when he is being a crybaby and throwing his teammates under the bus. My bad.

How about... if you want to criticize him, try having a good argument.

If you are trying to say that he doesn't score well on Duncan, you're wrong. There are other things to be mad at Amare about. His ability to score on Duncan and the Spurs is DEFINITELY not one of them.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Didn't JJ speak to Amare in the offseason when all those 'Amare to Atlanta' talks were being thrown around?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You guys all forget this guy came into the NBA out of HS! He's still wet behind the ears. He has no maturity, because he is very YOUNG!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
If I was the dominating sexy beast of a man that Amare is I would be an arrogant bastard too.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
can the suns get a do-over and have JJ, Marion and Garnett instead of Amare and Shaq?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Don't buy it. Defense is a mindset, it's not a series of muscle mechanics that you can practice and perfect. You can see it every now and then. When he dedicates himself on the defensive end for stretches you can see a visible difference in results. Most of the time however he coasts and takes lazy fouls, lets his man get the board and misses defensive rotations. All those are effort problems, not mechanical ones.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Don't buy it. Defense is a mindset, it's not a series of muscle mechanics that you can practice and perfect. You can see it every now and then. When he dedicates himself on the defensive end for stretches you can see a visible difference in results. Most of the time however he coasts and takes lazy fouls, lets his man get the board and misses defensive rotations. All those are effort problems, not mechanical ones.

So you're saying Amare knows how to play good defense but chooses not to? I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just asking.

I was trying to be positive and point out that when he sets his mind to work on something, he usually improves. Maybe he's too stupid to execute the basics of good defense, but hopefully he will work on it.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
So you're saying Amare knows how to play good defense but chooses not to? I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just asking.

I was trying to be positive and point out that when he sets his mind to work on something, he usually improves. Maybe he's too stupid to execute the basics of good defense, but hopefully he will work on it.

I don't know if it's a conscious decision or not, but it certainly could be to save his energy for the offensive end. Ironically his laziness on the defensive end more often than not hampers his offensive outputs because of foul trouble.

Amare can improve, but it's not going to be through drills, it's going to be through a defensive mindset. A coach that holds accountability on both ends of the floor could help foster that mindset.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have never been more disappointed with Amare than after this series. His attitude seems all wrong. His effort is sporadic. He was a big reason why we lost, and yet he never takes any of the blame. With him it's always "what we must do" as opposed to what he should have done.

You guys all forget this guy came into the NBA out of HS! He's still wet behind the ears. He has no maturity, because he is very YOUNG!
Well, Dwight Howard came out of HS and he's three years younger.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson