Suns at Nuggets, Tuesday 3-5-24

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, we all thought that Kings game where they came down from big in the 4th quarter was them turning the corner but that clearly wasn't the case.
The big 3 need to play a bigger chuck of games together and the 4th quarter woes resolved before I would say they turned the corner. Great win but I still have the same concerns.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Indeed. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if they laid an egg vs. Toronto. It's impossible to predict with this team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is not only one of the most under-performing, underwhelming teams in Suns history, but even a historic cautionary tale against this sort of team-building. Dumping random stars (Booker and Beal) together with a random superstar (Durant) could work; but it is a weaker or riskier model of contender-building than what the Golden State Pacifists did (building through the draft).
I mean the main issue has been health. Had they thrown three similar players together who all stay healthy than who is to say it would be underperforming?

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Not great defense. They built a sizeable enough lead that their collapse didn't kill them. They also woke up in overtime. If the Nuggets played harder in the 4th then they would have walked away with it. They didn't really play at all that great either. Rather than play like a team hungry to fight it's way back into the game they just went through the motions and the Suns ineptitude let them back in.
Comparatively, we did great defense throughout the game. In the 4th, we also held them to 20ish points. It's our own offensive inaptitude, not able to score more than 12 pts there. In OT, we held them to merely 5 pts, about the equivalent of 12pt in a qrt.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I mean the main issue has been health. Had they thrown three similar players together who all stay healthy than who is to say it would be underperforming?
Not so sure. I know our big 3 haven't played that often together, but I don't at all feel so far as if they form any kind of unstoppable force. Beal, in particular seems like he's barely starting 5 caliber to me. His defense is not great, his drives to the hoop often don't result in anything special, his passing is just okay and his 3s and mid-range shots are not that reliable. He's nice to have while Booker is out. That, I am not denying. Shame he's untradeable due to his having to approve any trade.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s a fatigue issue with Durant. He was unguardable 2nd and start of 3rd. When he is gassed he just isn’t the same player.
This is especially in games where the referees are allowing guys like Gordon to body him up. You can see it wear on him and annoy him as the game progresses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not so sure. I know our big 3 haven't played that often together, but I don't at all feel so far as if they form any kind of unstoppable force. Beal, in particular seems like he's barely starting 5 caliber to me. His defense is not great, his drives to the hoop often don't result in anything special, his passing is just okay and his 3s and mid-range shots are not that reliable. He's nice to have while Booker is out. That, I am not denying. Shame he's untradeable due to his having to approve any trade.
No offense but “barely starting 5 caliber” is an absurd statement. I get being disappointed, but cmon.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No offense but “barely starting 5 caliber” is an absurd statement. I get being disappointed, but cmon.

I agree. Beal seems to still be finding his way. It is always the "third" guy in the "big three" that has the most difficult job, and on top of that, he's been hurt most of the season. That said, he still looks like a very solid player.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree. Beal seems to still be finding his way. It is always the "third" guy in the "big three" that has the most difficult job, and on top of that, he's been hurt most of the season. That said, he still looks like a very solid player.
Could be arguable that Grayson Allen is maybe the third guy. I love Beal, but Grayson has been unreal lately.