Suns @ Hornets, Friday 3-15-24

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
It's a shame to see the Suns go down this season, when a backup point guard would help solve a lot of their rotation problems.

I don't understand why they have been so stubborn about it.

A player like Ish Smith would have helped.

There are some centers out there as well.
Unironically, Russell Westbrook would be a great fit with this team (KD relationship aside). He pushes the pace, is an emotional leader, and we have, in theory anyways, shooting to surround him with. I don't know if I'd want him to start, but having him as a minimum salary off the bench would have been nice.

Teams would still go under on screens with him, and off-ball he'd be a liability, but the pros would outweigh that (i think).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair, once we went over the second apron, we were limited to signing guys making below $12 million. If you go to one of the more reputable NBA sites and search on players ranked by their salaries, almost anyone better than Saben Lee makes more than $12 million. Believe me, I was looking. Arguably Bradley Beal and Devin Booker are better than the guys we could sign that were also available. Plus if we traded for someone we had to do it before a certain deadline, otherwise we couldn't aggregate salaries. So currently, we don't have anyone making around $12 million. We would now be signing guys more like league minimum. Plus we have to have someone another team wants. All that working against us, we weren't just going to magically find a PG that would move the needle for us. Just saying all these people on TV and internet saying Suns should get a PG, ever notice they don't say who? They don't know either.

They did say earlier in the year. TJ McConnel and Tyus Jones were regularly mentioned as acquisition. There's also the other option, don't send Cam Payne off in a salary dump before the season! That's 3 PG's all capable of playing 20 minutes a night, at least, at an NBA level.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unironically, Russell Westbrook would be a great fit with this team (KD relationship aside). He pushes the pace, is an emotional leader, and we have, in theory anyways, shooting to surround him with. I don't know if I'd want him to start, but having him as a minimum salary off the bench would have been nice.

Teams would still go under on screens with him, and off-ball he'd be a liability, but the pros would outweigh that (i think).

Almost any journeyman point guard that could have earned consistent minutes would have helped the team.

It's like the Suns went out of their way to prove they didn't need one.

I still hope the Suns haven't given up on the idea of bringing in an outside player that would qualify for the playoffs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They did say earlier in the year. TJ McConnel and Tyus Jones were regularly mentioned as acquisition. There's also the other option, don't send Cam Payne off in a salary dump before the season! That's 3 PG's all capable of playing 20 minutes a night, at least, at an NBA level.
IDK about Tyus Jones, but I read several articles saying we didn't have anything TJ McConnel's team wanted in order to get him. Pretty much I read that was dead in the water. Also, Gambo said either Suns weren't interested or it wasn't happening. Cam Payne would have been good to keep just based on his salary as a trade chip, imho. At the time of the trade before we waived Cam Payne several local reporters were told the idea from the Suns was that Beale was going to be the starting PG and Jordan Goodwin was included because he was supposed to be our back up PG, making Cam unneeded.

I am not agreeing with their logic, but this was the thinking behind all the moves, or non-moves, from the things I read or heard on the radio. Plus I am not arguing, just supplying info. :)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IDK about Tyus Jones, but I read several articles saying we didn't have anything TJ McConnel's team wanted in order to get him. Pretty much I read that was dead in the water. Also, Gambo said either Suns weren't interested or it wasn't happening. Cam Payne would have been good to keep just based on his salary as a trade chip, imho. At the time of the trade before we waived Cam Payne several local reporters were told the idea from the Suns was that Beale was going to be the starting PG and Jordan Goodwin was included because he was supposed to be our back up PG, making Cam unneeded.

I am not agreeing with their logic, but this was the thinking behind all the moves, or non-moves, from the things I read or heard on the radio. Plus I am not arguing, just supplying info. :)

I remember, not this board, but local media outside of this board being high on Goodwin. That didn’t work out.