Suns at Nuggets, Tuesday 3-5-24

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
It was pretty interesting to see the adjustment of Eubanks to stay on Jokic. They refused to attack the lane even though it was open a few times.
Probably dangerous to do too often with MPJ and KCP hitting shots, but Aaron Gordon was a bit more iffy and they helped off him a couple times.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't get why we consistently go to ISO ball in the 4th with KD (and Book when uninjured), when we don't do it much in the first 3 quarters. Why the change? And why stick with it after so many losses and with a historically bad 4th quarter rating.

Complete and utter coaching fail.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get why we consistently go to ISO ball in the 4th with KD (and Book when uninjured), when we don't do it much in the first 3 quarters. Why the change? And why stick with it after so many losses and with a historically bad 4th quarter rating.

Complete and utter coaching fail.
Totally agree. We completely move away from what got us to that point in the game. It’s every game and every 4th quarter too.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Go in and beat the champs who haven’t lost since all star break on their home floor without our best player, and one of our best defenders! Hell of a win even if it was ugly in the 4th when no one could buy a shot! Crazy in this teams head Allen 8/8 then didn’t hit another damn shot and for some reason they weren’t even trying to get him attempts! This team is just stupid sometimes! Great great much needed win as we have crazy schedule and any games we can win without Book are flat out HUGE!!!
Allen's mind is vulneral to emotional swings, it seems. Afer 8/8 3s, he attempted quick 3pt shots twice, as if he wanted to break his own earlier record. After the misses he again appeared less confident with his next 2 3s, by how he missed them. But his defense on Murray was excellent, as well as his total defensive contribution. With Waterson there to protect the rim, he'd better have passed to Eubanks instead having his dunk blocked cleanly. All in all, he needs to be mentally stronger regarding his 3pt makes and misses

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
I feel like I remember seeing stats that Gordon caused Durant hell in the playoffs. When they were matched up Durant shot poorly and had a ton of turnovers.

And I do think he is an ideal guy to cover Durant, he's very quick, he's long, he's strong and he doesn't really back down unless he's in foul trouble.

There were rumors about us being interested in Gordon back in 2021 and man... he'd have been huuuuuuuuuge for us if we'd been able to land him. He'd have been the perfect 4 with those guys.
Gordon single covered KD in the playoffs and won the battle. KD got a lot of problem getting a good shot up against him, Pope and even Porter, one on one, most of the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is the best team at providing false hope I've seen. They play awful for a few games, suffering ugly losses against teams they should beat and right when they're written off they pull out a win like this. Credit where it's due, this is a nice W but this doesn't mean the ship has been righted and smooth sailing ahead. 11 points in the 4th quarter? That's pathetic for a team with Durant, Beal, Allen, and Gordon.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
I was wrong thinking this would be a Denver blow-out....I need to be kicked in the ass.

But what,, another collapse,,,22 pt lead to a 3 pt deficient.
12 pt 4th quarter > 5 for 24 shooting, We've seen this too often.

The tie was a prayer answered,,,,the overtime was a miracle.

Entertaining game for us to watch while east coast and middle America were fast asleep mostly.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch, but seems like it was a roller coaster.

These big leads that keep getting blown - is that on Vogel?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen's mind is vulneral to emotional swings, it seems. Afer 8/8 3s, he attempted quick 3pt shots twice, as if he wanted to break his own earlier record. After the misses he again appeared less confident with his next 2 3s, by how he missed them. But his defense on Murray was excellent, as well as his total defensive contribution. With Waterson there to protect the rim, he'd better have passed to Eubanks instead having his dunk blocked cleanly. All in all, he needs to be mentally stronger regarding his 3pt makes and misses

That's when KD started making his shots in the 3rd, he looked off Allen a couple of times and over dribbled. After that Allen never got looks again.

Once again, we go to iso too much too early in the 4th. But we did a better version of it where instead of a lob pass to KD at the high post, it KD above the 3pt line, and 1 in the corner and the other 3 on one side of the court. Only once did I see that we ran a set that didn't involve iso.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, how did they win despite doing that? Great defense?

Not great defense. They built a sizeable enough lead that their collapse didn't kill them. They also woke up in overtime. If the Nuggets played harder in the 4th then they would have walked away with it. They didn't really play at all that great either. Rather than play like a team hungry to fight it's way back into the game they just went through the motions and the Suns ineptitude let them back in.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
This seems familiar. Have they turned a corner? I guess, but they will soon turn one more and be back to where they started, playing sloppy and losing to bad teams. I have zero expectations for the rest of the season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems familiar. Have they turned a corner? I guess, but they will soon turn one more and be back to where they started, playing sloppy and losing to bad teams. I have zero expectations for the rest of the season.
1 game does not a corner turn make. There’s no consistency with this team… except for them stinking in 4th quarters. If they ever started fighting that ship, well, they’d be a hell of a lot better.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
If the Nuggets don't win the west, it'll be because of their bench. It's really bad.
It's true, I'd argue that Phoenix actually has a better bench but Jokic is so good it kind of masks it a bit. Braun seems to have taken a step back from last year, and they lost Bruce Brown and Jeff Green who were major pieces for them. Reggie can be a flamethrower, but the rest of the pieces skew defensively.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We have turned the corner. We’ve turned the corner quite a few times this season that we’ve gone in circles.