Membership cost questionnaire

How much are you willing to pay for a yearly membership on ASFN?

• $60

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • $50

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • $40

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • $30

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • $20

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • I probably wont pay anything

Votes: 58 49.6%

• Total voters

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted 20 but ill take more ads before ill pay, i pay for enough things already.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not trying to sound sheisty(sp?) here, but what would these "perks" for members consist of? I wouldn't mind paying 20 or 30 bucks, but not if I get practically the same thing for nothing. Also, I tend to get banned here and there during football season. How does that apply to people who pay to be here? Can I still go to the members only forums? I didn't vote because that seems like I would be encouraging you to ask for my money.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I really like this site and would be willing to pay the same amount that I normally donate to other fan pages that i'm on

however, i may be in a similar boat as ASU Dude - the ads really do not bother me

also i really don't use PM much, I don't have an avatar and frequently go without signatures (and when I do there is no picture)

members only forum could be interesting - but i'd be curious first as to see what it does to the various forums normal discourse

if those are the benefits I couldn't see paying a premium for them as I do not use them

if this were a television service I'd be in the boat where I'd pay a small, yearly fee as I think there is value added over other arizona community pages - so to me it would be like basic cable versus off air antenna

however, I don't need 50 movie stations, 100 hrs of DVR, etc as I don't use them

also, if you go for a larger sum premium membership I think the banning process would need to be looked at - if I were a premium member and was banned for something borderline I would be pissed as it would be pretty much taking money out of my pocket

i think in that instance there should be a review (through chat, e-mail, etc) featuring the poster, the banning mod and two other mods and let all 3 mods vote it out ..... but that would be way down the line

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My idea for the member's forum is to take the Everything Else forum and turn it into that.

Since it's just a goof-off forum anyways, it would serve it well, plus have a ton of posts already in it.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
maybe I am in the minority... but the Ads REALLY don't bother me at all... I mean every other site on the Net has ads, and if you ask people to pay $50.00, and you will get rid of the ads, I don't think people care...

That said I think if you charged a set amount just to get into the site, you will lose 75% of your audience.... and if you do an optional you will have about 3 people total pay it.....

I think ultimatly, the idea of charging a $10 annual fee plus ads may make sense, but I will pay whatever....

I also think most people who won't pay, don't feel obligated to give a reason, hence most of the posts going for "I'll pay" and like 2 posts of I Won't....

Just my 2 cents...

Pretty much my feelings. I don't mind the ads so much that I would want to throw money around to get rid of them.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If it was set up like Total Fark, I'd probably pitch in around $5 a month or so. You'd have to set it up so that the non-payer could get in for free, but the paying members got more bene's.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
That's the idea, but members will also get:

Members only forum
Bigger Private Message space allowed
Whatever else I can think of...

So, if we decide not to pay we lose our Avatar privileges?

Honestly, I'd probably go somewhere else if I was forced to pay to be "full member". It would kinda be a slap in the face, to say my 4 years here have been for nothing. I've tried to do my shopping through the Amazon link on here, since I first saw it. Also, I already pay fees to be able to view or listen to out of market games involving my AZ teams, since I no longer live in AZ. If we had those types of services here, where I could cancel those types of memberships, I'd be happy to be a paying member of ASFN. Maybe we could come up with more alternatives for people to be financially involved, without requiring membership dues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if we decide not to pay we lose our Avatar privileges?

Honestly, I'd probably go somewhere else if I was forced to pay to be "full member". It would kinda be a slap in the face, to say my 4 years here have been for nothing. I've tried to do my shopping through the Amazon link on here, since I first saw it. Also, I already pay fees to be able to view or listen to out of market games involving my AZ teams, since I no longer live in AZ. If we had those types of services here, where I could cancel those types of memberships, I'd be happy to be a paying member of ASFN. Maybe we could come up with more alternatives for people to be financially involved, without requiring membership dues.

I guess I see your point, but also consider what that means to this site, especially Jim Skane, who ponies up $500 a month so you guys have a place to talk sports.

And it's not just a PLACE, it's the #1 AZ sports forum around...

So when we ask for a little help...$50 a year, $4 a month, TWELVE CENTS A DAY...and I have 30 people voting no....

Well that's a slap in the face.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I see your point, but also consider what that means to this site, especially Jim Skane, who ponies up $500 a month so you guys have a place to talk sports.

And it's not just a PLACE, it's the #1 AZ sports forum around...

So when we ask for a little help...$50 a year, $4 a month, TWELVE CENTS A DAY...and I have 30 people voting no....

Well that's a slap in the face.

I don't think so. Considering less than a month ago, people paying to help contribute to ASFN wasn't even a viable option.

I think that we should be happy with the contributions that we get, and then go from there. If Jim has to shut this place down, because not enough people contributed, well... that would suck.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I'd be willing to pay $30-40 and I don't even use PM's, haven't for awhile anyways lol but I've been posting since Sunsbackcourt.com...

ESPN Insider was around $37-39 when I had that (got rid of last year but I had it for at least 3-4 years) and all I used that site for was to read the Draft Prospects top-100 list (Basketball)...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to pay $30-40 and I don't even use PM's, haven't for awhile anyways lol but I've been posting since Sunsbackcourt.com...

ESPN Insider was around $37-39 when I had that (got rid of last year but I had it for at least 3-4 years) and all I used that site for was to read the Draft Prospects top-100 list (Basketball)...

draftnik, you bring up a great point. As a paid membership, maybe we should purchase an "ASFN member ESPN insider" account that all ASFN members could use to get that information. Any possiblility of that happening CM?

I know the legalities of it........

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will I still be able to visit the other forums if I don't pay?

like, you could see the EE forum, but not be able to post in it? I think that should be an option.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. Considering less than a month ago, people paying to help contribute to ASFN wasn't even a viable option.

I think that we should be happy with the contributions that we get, and then go from there. If Jim has to shut this place down, because not enough people contributed, well... that would suck.

Well, it's always been an option, the problem is that most people ignore everything except the stuff they come here for.

We've had the Support ASFN up for awhile, and only once have we gotten a donation.

That's fine, it's okay, but there have been lots of ways to help contribute. The Shop Amazon has been up there too.

Other than forcing it down people's throats, it wont work unless people WANT to help.

Otherwise, when I put up Ebay links that are IN YOUR FACE, I get crap about it...so if I do that, I get in trouble, if I make it less obvious, people don't see it.

It's just tough...that's all...

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think the results are so far fairly encouraging. We're looking at just under 1/2 of those voted would be willing to pay. If that trend continues amongst our members, you'll have PLENTY of people willing to pay.

:alwayslookingforsilverlining:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...you would be able to see everything else, but a Member's forum would kind of be off-limits I think...I dunno.

I can agree with that. You made it seem like the EE forum would become the member forum. If we have a separate one, I'd like that idea.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is just boggling my mind; the site has enough traffic/technical requirements to cost $500/month, but cant get enough traffic to sell $500 worth of advertising?

People didnt have the ebay links for no reason. They hated them because they looked like normal hyperlinks and crapped up the board.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is just boggling my mind; the site has enough traffic/technical requirements to cost $500/month, but cant get enough traffic to sell $500 worth of advertising?

People didnt have the ebay links for no reason. They hated them because they looked like normal hyperlinks and crapped up the board.

Looking at it that way, that does seem pretty strange.

Although if they went some stupid way of advertising, (like pop up ads) I'd be gone so fast.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at it that way, that does seem pretty strange.

Although if they went some stupid way of advertising, (like pop up ads) I'd be gone so fast.

True, true. If the traffic numbers are serious, the owners could sell banner ads to local valley businesses or companies that desire traffic.

Donald knows a crapload about this kind of stuff and getting this site to break-even should be the goal using traffic, Google, Amazon, donations, banner ads, etc.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, true. If the traffic numbers are serious, the owners could sell banner ads to local valley businesses or companies that desire traffic.

Donald knows a crapload about this kind of stuff and getting this site to break-even should be the goal using traffic, Google, Amazon, donations, banner ads, etc.

Great point. Local businesses should be a great way to advertise on here. Local card collecting shops, or sports gear shops, etc. would be a good business target.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great point. Local businesses should be a great way to advertise on here. Local card collecting shops, or sports gear shops, etc. would be a good business target.

Maybe the Suns team shop has an affilliate program. I also could see local restaurants, Tempe Improv, local venues, etc. If you can drive the traffic, they'll pay.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
this is ridiculous. so now the non-membership paying posters are going to have to fight spam and talk with less people because the others will be in the "membership section". ridiculous.