Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Greatest Showman

Release date: December 20, 2017
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Michael Gracey
MPAA Rating: PG (for thematic elements including a brawl)
Screenwriter: Jenny Bicks
Genre: Musical, Biography

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Zendaya Coleman, Rebecca Ferguson

Plot Summary: Inspired by the imagination of P.T. Barnum, "The Greatest Showman" is an original musical that celebrates the birth of show business & tells of a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I really enjoyed this. In real life we know people who literally "ran away to the circus." Crazy timing that this is released just after the Ringling Bros. Circus shut down "for good."

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. Surprised that not more of you guys commenting on this. Didn't know it had a thread. Greatest musical I've seen and I'm not into musicals.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Really? Everyone I knew that saw it thought it was horrible. Huh.

I can't believe anyone thought his movie was horrible. Maybe some people that hate, I mean hate, movies that have singing(Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, ha ha I can't think of anything recent :) ), but this was a damn good movie.

You haven't seen it yet?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone thought his movie was horrible. Maybe some people that hate, I mean hate, movies that have singing(Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, ha ha I can't think of anything recent :) ), but this was a damn good movie.

You haven't seen it yet?

No, and I don't plan on it. I'm talking about musical theater lovers that didn't like this movie. Gotta go with those I trust, you know?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Wow. Surprised that not more of you guys commenting on this. Didn't know it had a thread. Greatest musical I've seen and I'm not into musicals.

I generally don't like musicals either, but I enjoyed this one. The song sequences were actually pretty fun.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this again. Even better the 2nd time around. Can't believe this only had one Oscar nomination.....

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, and I don't plan on it. I'm talking about musical theater lovers that didn't like this movie. Gotta go with those I trust, you know?
Shoot, this got my kids INTO musical theater.

Next year they’ll both be in their high school show choir … yay.

Stout

Reaction score
Shoot, this got my kids INTO musical theater.

Next year they’ll both be in their high school show choir … yay.
It bombed with critics but audiences seemed to like it. I usually side with audiences, as so many critics are wannabe intellectualist snobs, but with my musical theater homies not liking it, I side with them. I'm also not the biggest fan of musicals, though I do like some.

That's awesome that it got your kids into musical theater, though!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It bombed with critics but audiences seemed to like it. I usually side with audiences, as so many critics are wannabe intellectualist snobs, but with my musical theater homies not liking it, I side with them. I'm also not the biggest fan of musicals, though I do like some.

RT - 57% Critics, 86% Audience

The snob critics were upset because it glamorized PT Barnum, who in real life was a bit of a turd. But this isn't a friggin' biopic.... it's a musical VERY loosely based on the popular myths about the man. It's a damn good movie, and we rewatched it yet again last night. As @Shaggy noted above, it just doesn't get old. And BTW..... Hugh Jackman can do anything, I swear! Very good dancing and singing on his part.

Stout

Reaction score
RT - 57% Critics, 86% Audience

The snob critics were upset because it glamorized PT Barnum, who in real life was a bit of a turd. But this isn't a friggin' biopic.... it's a musical VERY loosely based on the popular myths about the man. It's a damn good movie, and we rewatched it yet again last night. As @Shaggy noted above, it just doesn't get old. And BTW..... Hugh Jackman can do anything, I swear! Very good dancing and singing on his part.
Like I said before though, my musical theater fans gave it the thumbs down. Since I don't normally like musicals, it's a no for me. Glad you enjoy it, though!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said before though, my musical theater fans gave it the thumbs down. Since I don't normally like musicals, it's a no for me. Glad you enjoy it, though!
My youngest is in a private theater company. She loves the music. Her fiends LOVE the music. They sing the songs all the time in warmups etc. My wife loves the music. Her good friend loves the music. Covers are all over social media. If I hear it one more time I might puke. Evidently, there are a TON of fans.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Honestly, I wanted to hate the movie, but I really enjoyed it. Old Wolvie killed it singing and dancing and the movie is just...fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player