Just for Fun: Things that Drive Me Crazy about Football

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
A team runs a successful play. The team never runs that play again for the entire game. My thought is why not make the defense prove they can defend that play.

Instant replay is out of control. When it was created the intent was to correct clear officiating errors. Instead replays are being re-officiated. No more is it required that the replay show definitively that an error was made. Too often officials are changing calls based on what they think probably happened. There should be a requirement that the play be treated like a photo finish. I want a still frame showing the proof the play should be overturned.

Then there’s pass interference. One of the requirements for this penalty is quite simple. The ball must be catchable in the area of play. That is it can’t just be catchable out of bounds. Yet I keep seeing this call on passes 10 feet above the head of the receiver or 5 yards short of the receiver. It’s one thing to allow some latitude to guess what the receiver might have done if there had been no interference impeding him, but a clean play would not have made him taller. The worst is in the red zone when the ball comes down well out of the back of the end zone. This issue was partly the reason they made these calls reviewable, but when they dispensed with that part of the criteria, they failed to tighten up the officiating.

Then there’s the QB that loses sight of the value of making the best of a bad situation. Whether it’s a designed rollout or a pocket escape, I can’t stand it when they run out of bounds with the ball for a loss when all they had to do was throw it away. That would return the ball to the line of scrimmage and avoid the loss.

Ball is on their 10 yard line. If the defense commits a personal foul, they’re penalized half the distance to the goal, 5 yards. If the offense commits a personal foul on the 10, they’re penalized 15 yards. The offensive penalty should be the same as the defensive penalty would be in legnth.

With 20 seconds on the clock, the defense commits a hold on the play. The defense is penalized 5 yards, but 12 seconds run off the clock. I’m surprised, like in basketball, the defense doesn’t occasionally deliberately foul. On a defensive penalty the clock should be reset to the time the play started.

Why not make the trade deadline more exciting? Allow teams to include part of the cap hit along with a player to make it more plausible to move expensive players. If not allow trading team to breakup up the cap hit over 3-5 years. Trades are exciting and often beneficial to the player as well. Facilitate the process.

This is what happens when my mind is idle.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
With 20 seconds on the clock, the defense commits a hold on the play. The defense is penalized 5 yards, but 12 seconds run off the clock. I’m surprised, like in basketball, the defense doesn’t occasionally deliberately foul. On a defensive penalty the clock should be reset to the time the play started.
IIRC, one of the Ryan brothers had this strategy for 1st and goal inside the 5 or so --

the idea being that you can keep doing holding penalties until you get the clock down to a point where there is only time for one play

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then there’s pass interference. One of the requirements for this penalty is quite simple. The ball must be catchable in the area of play. That is it can’t just be catchable out of bounds. Yet I keep seeing this call on passes 10 feet above the head of the receiver or 5 yards short of the receiver. It’s one thing to allow some latitude to guess what the receiver might have done if there had been no interference impeding him, but a clean play would not have made him taller. The worst is in the red zone when the ball comes down well out of the back of the end zone. This issue was partly the reason they made these calls reviewable, but when they dispensed with that part of the criteria, they failed to tighten up the officiating.

This bugs me somewhat with holding calls too. When a QB or a RB breaks off a 25 yard run outside the right tackle but gets called back because the LG held a DT for 0.25 of a second.

Like, the dude was a good 5-8 yards off the ball and runs 5.2, he wasn't catching the runner. Let the play go.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This bugs me somewhat with holding calls to. When a QB or a RB breaks off a 25 yard run outside the right tackle but gets called back because the LG held a DT for 0.25 of a second.

Like, the dude was a good 5-8 yards off the ball and runs 5.2, he wasn't catching the runner. Let the play go.

Yeah "holding" has really gotten nebulous and takes away from the game some.

So much hand-fighting between DBs and WRs now is one thing that bugs me.

But these guys are playing for tens of millions of dollars, so you better believe they're going to break/bend the rules as much as they can get away with. I damn sure would.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A team runs a successful play. The team never runs that play again for the entire game. My thought is why not make the defense prove they can defend that play.
Makes no sense. I'm with you 100%.
Instant replay is out of control. When it was created the intent was to correct clear officiating errors. Instead replays are being re-officiated. No more is it required that the replay show definitively that an error was made. Too often officials are changing calls based on what they think probably happened. There should be a requirement that the play be treated like a photo finish. I want a still frame showing the proof the play should be overturned.
I'd rather the game be re-officiated, than continue to get the call wrong. That is what was happening with more regularity. Every game means so much and calls make games, and even one game can be the difference of tens of millions of dollars.
I don't see this as often as I see balls that are only 1-2 yards over a players head and they deem it uncatchable.
Furthermore, I hated that they
A) Got rid of the PI instant replay, and B) had such a high standard that they don't have on just about any other part of the game. There are some blatant PI calls that get ignored, and they are arguably the most important penalties to get right due to the amount of yards a call would have.

So since I have talked about instant replay twice, I'd fix it by allowing each team to have unlimited instant replays, as long as they have a time out. I would also allow just about every part of the game to be officiated. (penalties, possession, clock management, you name it)
Then there’s the QB that loses sight of the value of making the best of a bad situation. Whether it’s a designed rollout or a pocket escape, I can’t stand it when they run out of bounds with the ball for a loss when all they had to do was throw it away. That would return the ball to the line of scrimmage and avoid the loss.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Every time Kyler runs out of bounds for a 2-3 yard loss when all he had to do is throw the ball 3 yards up the field, I scream at my TV.
Ball is on their 10 yard line. If the defense commits a personal foul, they’re penalized half the distance to the goal, 5 yards. If the offense commits a personal foul on the 10, they’re penalized 15 yards. The offensive penalty should be the same as the defensive penalty would be in length.
Yeah, I'm not sure how to fix it.
Putting more time on the clock would set a dangerous precedent. Not sure that is the right move.
Why not make the trade deadline more exciting? Allow teams to include part of the cap hit along with a player to make it more plausible to move expensive players. If not allow trading team to breakup up the cap hit over 3-5 years. Trades are exciting and often beneficial to the player as well. Facilitate the process.

This is what happens when my mind is idle.
I love this idea.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've had it with these jersey numbers. Maybe it's just me, but it's just plain distracting.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Should take a page from the UFL and put a replay guy/gal in the booth. Takes a few seconds to get it right and move along. Also, the "super challenge" rule is very interesting as well.

NFL is "No Fix League" when it comes to some of their rules of officiating. They are printing money so why should they really care?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Offensive PI should be automatic 4th down, or at least loss of down.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I kinda agree with that. They been smacking down defense for years so why not make the offense have to do better.
But...they just wouldn’t call opi anymore

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Just like you can decline a penalty. Let the defense decide if they would rather -10 yards or loss of down.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
The rule that makes it illegal to swat a live ball out of bounds. Why is this a rule? Just mark the ball where the team that had last possession down at where ever the ball was swatted from.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My pet peeve is more general.

It's the feeling that the rules committee is seeking problems to solve and that, as a result, the rule book has as many clauses as the criminal code.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My pet peeve is more general.

It's the feeling that the rules committee is seeking problems to solve and that, as a result, the rule book has as many clauses as the criminal code.
Rules based on player safety have been good for career longevity such as the chop block.

Rules that are entertainment based such as creating a pass dominant high scoring game not so good.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
What I would change is making PI a flat 15 yard penalty.
I've thought about this one as well...maybe the ball is placed at the spot of the infraction when it's under 2 minutes in the half; otherwise it's 15 yards.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Holding on the offense 10 yard penalty. Holding on the defense is 5 yards and a first down.

Change it to all holding is 5 yards. Defensive holding is an automatic first down. Offensive hold is a five yard penalty and loss of down.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Holding on the offense 10 yard penalty. Holding on the defense is 5 yards and a first down.

Change it to all holding is 5 yards. Defensive holding is an automatic first down. Offensive hold is a five yard penalty and loss of down.
Eh I wouldn't do loss of down. Losing a down and yardage really sets an offense back.

I hate offensive holding calls because 10 yards is often a drive killer.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Since some offensive holding happens on most every play, 5 yards would put more offense into the game. I’m all for more action.