Hypothetical For The Tank

Which deal do you like better?

• Total voters

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is floating around the Good News thread, but it doesn't belong there at the level of detail I want to discuss it.

Say the Cards decide to trade Kyler. They want at least a first-round pick for him, and they don't want to eat any more of his current deal than they're scheduled to (that's a $35 million guaranteed salary for 2024).

This teams would have to have at least $35 million in effective cap space and (probably) the ability to compete in 2024, or at least no near-term option for something more. Who are those teams?

Bears (maybe you get their 2024 second and 2025 first)
Pats
Commanders
Titans
Lions (maybe move Goff over in the deal -- he's under contract with a $22m base salary in 2024)
Raiders

The Vikes and Bucs can probably maneuver themselves into a position to get Kyler if they really want him.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
This is floating around the Good News thread, but it doesn't belong there at the level of detail I want to discuss it.

Say the Cards decide to trade Kyler. They want at least a first-round pick for him, and they don't want to eat any more of his current deal than they're scheduled to (that's a $35 million guaranteed salary for 2024).

This teams would have to have at least $35 million in effective cap space and (probably) the ability to compete in 2024, or at least no near-term option for something more. Who are those teams?

Pats
Commanders
Titans
Lions (maybe move Goff over in the deal -- he's under contract with a $22m base salary in 2024)
Raiders

The Vikes and Bucs can probably maneuver themselves into a position to get Kyler if they really want him.
What about the 81 million dead money hit. How does that come into play?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What about the 81 million dead money hit. How does that come into play?
That's if you cut him. There's no scenario where we cut Kyler Murray.

Michael Bidwill would have to pay Kyler $35.3 million in 2024 to not be an Arizona Cardinal. This isn't dead money -- where a paid signing bonus is being accelerated. This is Michael cutting a check for 18 weeks of $1.9 million.

My pet theory is that the Cards waited so long to move on from McCoy because his $3.5 million salary was guaranteed. McCoy had to stink out loud for a month of training camp and preseason games to convince Michael to cut him $185,000 checks for the next 18 weeks to not be an Arizona Cardinals.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Pats
Commanders
Titans
Raiders

I believe the Falcons could figure it out if they needed to. I also figure they would be one of the most interested.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I believe the Falcons could figure it out if they needed to. I also figure they would be one of the most interested.
They're an obvious choice but they only have 38 players under contract next year and about $48.5 million in cap space. They don't really have a ton of young free agents they want to hold on to though.

Atlanta could well make the playoffs this season with Ridder at QB. They didn't want to make a deal for Lamar last offseason; dunno why they'd want to make a deal for Kyler next offseason unless Ridder really is a single point of failure in that offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They're an obvious choice but they only have 38 players under contract next year and about $48.5 million in cap space. They don't really have a ton of young free agents they want to hold on to though.

Atlanta could well make the playoffs this season with Ridder at QB. They didn't want to make a deal for Lamar last offseason; dunno why they'd want to make a deal for Kyler next offseason unless Ridder really is a single point of failure in that offense.
He has been and their offensive pieces are very cheap. They might be our best chance for a 1st round pick because it wouldn't be a top 10 pick. But again, we only do this if we are in a position to draft Drake Maye. I don't see AZ trading Kyler if they are sitting at 3 or later.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Now that bigger brands like the Pats and Broncos are contenders for the #1 pick nobody cares that the Cards are terrible anymore. Before the season they were getting trashed more than anyone else for tanking. If Kyler doesn’t suit up this season I doubt they get much blowback. They know his health level and see him in practice. I think we will be picking 4-5th.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof. 4 more weeks of this is going to be rough.
Also, they said AT LEAST, AFTER Week 10.

I’ll be honest… Kyler’s physical fragility might be starting to really tear it’s ugly head here. It doesn’t take most players this long to even come back and PRACTICE after an ACL tear. Including RBs, WR, CBs… all of whom rely on their legs, just like Kyler.

Hopefully, my fears go completely unfounded and we hear something sooner.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I’ll be honest… Kyler’s physical fragility might be starting to really tear it’s ugly head here. It doesn’t take most players this long to even come back and PRACTICE after an ACL tear. Including RBs, WR, CBs… all of whom rely on their legs, just like Kyler.

If he can't make it back this season, he's toast. As well he should be. That would be ridiculous and utterly unacceptable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he can't make it back this season, he's toast. As well he should be. That would be ridiculous and utterly unacceptable.
This I Agree with, mostly because it says to me his body just isn’t made to take the physical rigors of the NFL… or he was just too mentally weak/lazy/didn’t have the fire in his belly to comeback and get back on the field.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score

Agreed. Perhaps I was taking too much hopium over the summer when what little news we were getting seemed very optimistic. Now reading "at least after week 10" is a close step away from "not at all this season"

If Kyler isn't going to play anytime soon, they should probably just go ahead and give Tune a significant number of starts to give him some experience.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Perhaps I was taking too much hopium over the summer when what little news we were getting seemed very optimistic. Now reading "at least after week 10" is a close step away from "not at all this season"

If Kyler isn't going to play anytime soon, they should probably just go ahead and give Tune a significant number of starts to give him some experience.
Whatever the best solution to get a top pick...

Houston has totally screwed us, but we can still get #2

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Shoot, man. We don't know. I really hesitate to draw these kinds of conclusions when we don't have enough information. Maybe Kyler is bristling to get back on the field, but the coaching staff is holding him back. Maybe he had a legit setback.

After what happened with installing this offense with Deshaun Watson, I'd be careful too.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Whatever the best solution to get a top pick...

Houston has totally screwed us, but we can still get #2
I was excited when the Panthers went up 14-0. Unfortunately they gave up 35 unanswered after that. Lol

Imagine being Carolina fans right now. Very good chance they finish with worst record but don't have 1st round pick. Sheesh.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Worst case scenario is playing out for the cards right now. Say they end up with picks 5 and 10, they won’t get a QB and Kyler will be done with the cards. We have to hope we hit the way the jets did with Sauce and Garrett Wilson

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoot, man. We don't know. I really hesitate to draw these kinds of conclusions when we don't have enough information. Maybe Kyler is bristling to get back on the field, but the coaching staff is holding him back. Maybe he had a legit setback.

After what happened with installing this offense with Deshaun Watson, I'd be careful too.
Don’t have much quibble with any of this.

The team is just stuck in such a frustrating purgatory. Was my nightmare the second Kyler went down late last season that it didn’t just mean that year was officially dust, but that this entire year would be a lost one as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don’t have much quibble with any of this.

The team is just stuck in such a frustrating purgatory. Was my nightmare the second Kyler went down late last season that it didn’t just mean that year was officially dust, but that this entire year would be a lost one as well.
Good time to stop watching. I get the cope of posters who say that we've been right in these games, but the facts are the facts, and we've failed to cover the spread in the past three games. There's no hope for Conner coming back, and he got injured after a pretty light workload.

This team is nothing. This is actually what purgatory feels like. @DVontel is selling a fairytale about being hopeless amid 9-win seasons .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good time to stop watching. I get the cope of posters who say that we've been right in these games, but the facts are the facts, and we've failed to cover the spread in the past three games. There's no hope for Conner coming back, and he got injured after a pretty light workload.

This team is nothing. This is actually what purgatory feels like. @DVontel is selling a fairytale about being hopeless amid 9-win seasons .

Agreed.

It’s why a lot of people want to see Tune, me included. Deep down, we know that’s going to be an epic disaster as well, but it is the absolute LAST drop of hopium left in the bottle until Kyler ever comes back this season and Mid-October is just so painfully early to completely give up on football for another 11 months.

That said, starting him on the road in Seattle isn’t realistic in any stretch of any scenario. So, let Dobbs be Dobbs next week, but after that, if he’s bad Dobbs for a third straight week, give the fans a little bit of hopium and see if the rookie can spin it.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really just don’t get your obsession about wanting to be a smoke-&-mirrors team. I really don’t. I’m cool with taking lumps in the 1st year of a new regime. I’m glad they’re not doing what Keim did & just pushed all their chips in despite lacking in premier areas.

I want to root for a team that has a great chance to go all the way, not a team that justttttt MIGHT eke out a playoff win. You can have that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I really just don’t get your obsession about wanting to be a smoke-&-mirrors team. I really don’t. I’m cool with taking lumps in the 1st year of a new regime. I’m glad they’re not doing what Keim did & just pushed all their chips in despite lacking in premier areas.

I want to root for a team that has a great chance to go all the way, not a team that justttttt MIGHT eke out a playoff win. You can have that.
IMO with Kyler Murray healthy you’re not a smoke-and-mirrors team. You surround him with what you can on the assumption that every year he gives you a chance to win a championship.

This year was gonna be tough, but there’s no defined end of The Process. Nine wins isn’t purgatory; 4 wins is.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
IMO with Kyler Murray healthy you’re not a smoke-and-mirrors team. You surround him with what you can on the assumption that every year he gives you a chance to win a championship.

This year was gonna be tough, but there’s no defined end of The Process. Nine wins isn’t purgatory; 4 wins is.
That's a hell of an assumption, though. We've seen a lot to say he ain't that guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard