What happened with Alan Branch?

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something at some point.... but how did Branch go from being a possible top 10 pick like a month ago to not being a 1st round pick? Does anyone have the info? We're at pick 18 and he isn't in Mel's next top 12 available. Is he hurt or something?

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Bad interviews, questionable effort, too tall to be a true NT, disappeared in some games despite having a ton of talent around him. I doubt the stress fracture rumor did this.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need to trust our eyeballs and have faith that Cardinal staff has come a long enough way to check out any medical red flags before surrendering a 4th round pick in order to trade up to get him.

In addition to this and other last-minute scuttlebutt concerning effort, there may have been other factors.

1. There was a talent-plateau extending from around #6 well into the 2nd round. Other teams may simply have felt there were safer options of equal talent.

2. Only so many teams placed DT at a higher priority than other positions. Recent news that Harrell's bench press indicated he had fully recovered from his pec injury elevated him above Branch on many boards.

3. Some teams consider drafting a DT in the first round an iffy proposition.

To those teams who opted out because of the so-called effort rumors, they should consider this:

Players don't change between the close of regular season and draft day (the only thing that changes are opinions about those players). Alan Branch's body of work coming into preseason was good enough to warrant a Top 10 grade at that time. Nothing during post season happened to change that. It's been said that, instead of being dazzled by post season drills and workouts in shorts, more GM's should trust the game tape that led them to conclude the young man was something special in the first place.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
I think we need to trust our eyeballs and have faith that Cardinal staff has come a long enough way to check out any medical red flags before surrendering a 4th round pick in order to trade up to get him.

In addition to this and other last-minute scuttlebutt concerning effort, there may have been other factors.

1. There was a talent-plateau extending from around #6 well into the 2nd round. Other teams may simply have felt there were safer options of equal talent.

2. Only so many teams placed DT at a higher priority than other positions. Recent news that Harrell's bench press indicated he had fully recovered from his pec injury elevated him above Branch on many boards.

3. Some teams consider drafting a DT in the first round an iffy proposition.

To those teams who opted out because of the so-called effort rumors, they should consider this:

Players don't change between the close of regular season and draft day (the only thing that changes are opinions about those players). Alan Branch's body of work coming into preseason was good enough to warrant a Top 10 grade at that time. Nothing during post season happened to change that. It's been said that, instead of being dazzled by post season drills and workouts in shorts, more GM's should trust the game tape that led them to conclude the young man was something special in the first place.

Jeff's keepin' it real... :thumbup:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I hear it is because he convinced all the other teams that he had to be a Cardinal, and be reunited with his old buddy Spongebob Squareback.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been said that, instead of being dazzled by post season drills and workouts in shorts, more GM's should trust the game tape that led them to conclude the young man was something special in the first place.
There it is there ...

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
My dad worked with Justin Harrells dad at the Goodyear tire company in Union City Tenn. for years. Justin is from Martin Tenn (about 50 miles from where I live) Now Green Bay has two kids from Martin. Chad Clifton attended High School there as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard