Definitive Ranking of the NFL's 32 Starting Quarterbacks

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1. Patrick Mahomes (KC) - Mahomes might be the best quarterback I've ever seen play on a down-to-down basis.

2. Josh Allen (BUF) - Allen's highs are as good as anyone (non-Mahomes division). He's managed to reduce the amount of low plays this year.

3. Lamar Jackson (BAL) - He's the MVP and maybe the greatest combination of running and passing ability we've seen. It'll be exciting to see how he evolves in the second year in this offense.

4. Joe Burrow (CIN) - I haven't forgotten the only QB who's bested Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs (non-Brady division).

5. Justin Herbert (LAC) - I believe in the physical skill set. I think that Harbaugh will be enough to overcome the hex that has followed this franchise from San Diego to the Rams' couch.

6. Matthew Stafford (LARM) - Stafford has somehow become extremely underrated nationally. He wasn't along for the ride when the Rams won the Super Bowl two years ago.

7. Jalen Hurts (PHI) - He reminds me of like a homeless man's Cam Newton. I think he was playing with an injury for much of 2023.

8. Brock Purdy (SFO) - Yes, he's surrounded by exceptional weapons, but so are a lot of QBs rated higher on this list. Purdy plays like a homeless man's Joe Burrow.

9. Dak Prescott (DAL) - Dak is a very smart player surrounded by good talent and two terrible coaching staffs. He's been consistently better than Tony Romo, even though I think their careers will be remembered similarly.

10. C.J. Stroud (HOU) - A nice little placeholder for an extremely promising young quarterback. Could move up five spots if he shows out again in his second year.

11. Tua Tagovailoa (MIA) - Fun fact: Tua passed for more yards than anyone else last season and was healthy for 17 games. Would I pay him more than Kyler? Don't be ridiculous -- of course not.

12. Jordan Love (GB) - I don't know if I watched a single Packers game this year. Kind of a vibes-based ranking.

13. Kyler Murray (ARI) - Kyler Murray can take you to the playoffs if you design your offense to minimize the need for him to do anything. Yikes.

14. Trevor Lawrence (JAX) - Would you hand Trevor Lawrence the bag right now? I sure wouldn't. He's obviously an above-average quarterback, but you'd really love for him to have shown some special traits by this point.

15. Jared Goff (DET) - Submitted: Jared Goff has replaced Kirk Cousins as the league-average quarterback. Yes, he was second in yardage and started in the NFC Championship game, but who's going to blink at this ranking?

16. Baker Mayfield (TB) - Progressive should bring back Baker for his free agency tour. Have him touring stadiums around the NFL like a homebuyer. It'd be fun. America deserves it.

17. Aaron Rodgers (NYJ) - LOL this guy. It will be extremely interesting to see how effectively he can play within himself with a new team coming off that injury. I think he was more supported by Matt LaFleur's offense than we realized at the time.

18. Geno Smith (SEA) - What a journey the past two seasons have been for my guy. Is he a sneaky trade candidate?

19. Deshaun Watson (CLE) - What's happened with Deshaun the past two years would be sad if it weren't for... you know.

20. Anthony Richardson (IND) - Richardson started four games and maybe finished one of them. He had eight fewer passing attempts than Drew Lock (LOL). I'm very comfortably saying he's better than the guys below him on this list.

21. Justin Fields (CHI) - I think Justin Fields should keep his starting job with the Bears. Instead, I fully expect Justin Fields to follow the career arc of Geno Smith.

22. Daniel Jones (NYG) - I'd actually left him off this list altogether until I was counting teams before posting. I look forward to Daniels Jones' future as Andy Dalton.

22. Derek Carr (NO) - Remember when people expected the Cards to draft Derek Carr, and we took Logan Thomas instead? Derek Carr started 17 games last season and no one believes in him. He'll start another 15+ games in 2024.

23. Bryce Young (CAR) - Man, tough rookie year for my guy. I didn't watch more than 15 snaps of Panthers football this season. My most salient memory is when he appeared briefly in the NYJ Hard Knocks episode.

24. Will Levis (TEN) - I love a good second-round quarterback. Good enough to get you beat, completely expendable, but just enough skills to keep you on the hook for one extra year.

25. Kenny Pickett (PIT) - If Clayton Tune absolutely maximizes his potential he's Kenny Pickett. A quarterback that no Arizona Cardinals fan would take on their team.

26. Sam Howell (WAS) - I love the idea that Washington looks at Brock Purdy and thinks "Why Not Us?" Remember when he lead a furious comeback against us in Week 1?

27. Desmond Ridder (ATL) - The Falcons were completely uninterested in trading for Lamar Jackson because they had Desmond Ridder. That was their guy.

Teams without starting quarterbacks (SAD!): Minnesota, New England, Denver, Las Vegas
Starting-caliber quarterbacks without teams: Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think thats fair, if not generous, for K1

while i have been a "of course you keep K1" guy, im also of the opinion that he has to improve further for the Cards to have a shot

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, Purdy is too high.

If Kyler had played the exact game Purdy did, the board would be up in arms and blaming him for the loss.

Panicked under pressure, missed many open receivers (including for touchdowns) by overthrowing, once again should have been picked at least twice.

Right now he is Jimmy G - good, but not top half. But, he has great offensive weapons, and a great coach (unless that coach has a 10 point or more lead in the Super Bowl).

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To me, Purdy is too high.

If Kyler had played the exact game Purdy did, the board would be up in arms and blaming him for the loss.

Panicked under pressure, missed many open receivers (including for touchdowns) by overthrowing, once again should have been picked at least twice.

Right now he is Jimmy G - good, but not top half. But, he has great offensive weapons, and a great coach (unless that coach has a 10 point or more lead in the Super Bowl).
You mean his play in the Super Bowl? The game he won two playoff games to participate in?

Don't be a prisoner of the moment.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean his play in the Super Bowl? The game he won two playoff games to participate in?

Don't be a prisoner of the moment.
Was equally meh'd by him in those games, and the board would have the same reaction - some great plays, a lot of missed receivers, should have been interceptions, etc.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
yes I want k1 to be the qb next year

That said- I think his positions is pretty spot on. He’s definitely not a top 10 QB in his current form/performance. In fact, I’d probably even put Goff ahead of him as of today. Hopefully this year is a redemption year, he’s got all the opportunity and is running out of excuses/apologies

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As these things go seem pretty fair. The one outlier for me is Aaron Rodgers. Feels like your letting your personal dislike get in the way. He's a top 3 QB all day when healthy.
Still? Perhaps recency bias, as my only current memories of him are being a COVIDiot, ayahuasca trips, and accusing Jimmy Kimmel of cavorting with Epstein on some B list former NFL'ers podcast.. and of course rolling his achilles up like a loony tunes window shade like 2 plays into the season.

Until he comes back and shows something, anything, other than a penchant for weirdness, he's slides comfortably into middle of the road. Fact is, to me, we just dont know what that guy has left.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Rodgers is living off rep until he shows something at this point.

Purdy is a tough rank. In fact, 8-15 and how you could swap them around demonstrates the state of the league at the QB position pretty well.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still? Perhaps recency bias, as my only current memories of him are being a COVIDiot, ayahuasca trips, and accusing Jimmy Kimmel of cavorting with Epstein on some B list former NFL'ers podcast.. and of course rolling his achilles up like a loony tunes window shade like 2 plays into the season.

Until he comes back and shows something, anything, other than a penchant for weirdness, he's slides comfortably into middle of the road. Fact is, to me, we just dont know what that guy has left.
Kinda agree, and I'm not a Rodgers fan by any means, but... Let's not forget that before the injury in 2023 and one mediocre season on a team with meager receiving talent in 2022, he was the NFL MVP two consecutive years in 2020-2021, which I think buys him some benefit of the doubt even now.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda agree, and I'm not a Rodgers fan by any means, but... Let's not forget that before the injury in 2023 and one mediocre season on a team with meager receiving talent in 2022, he was the NFL MVP two consecutive years in 2020-2021, which I think buys him some benefit of the doubt even now.
More meager than KC this year

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
21. Justin Fields (CHI) - I think Justin Fields should keep his starting job with the Bears. Instead, I fully expect Justin Fields to follow the career arc of Geno Smith.

Bears scored zero offensive touchdowns in 3 out of the last 4 games except maybe a drive from the 1 where it took 6 tries to get in.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Bears scored zero offensive touchdowns in 3 out of the last 4 games except maybe a drive from the 1 where it took 6 tries to get in.

What are you talking about? Fields had a passing TD against the Browns. Justin Fields had a rushing TD and a passing TD against the Cards.

I don't know how you just skip over his 37 point orgy against Atlanta (Kyler only managed 25 points).

YMMV on the road game at Lambeau where he only attempted 16 passes and had 48 total offensive plays.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Fields had a passing TD against the Browns. Justin Fields had a rushing TD and a passing TD against the Cards.

I don't know how you just skip over his 37 point orgy against Atlanta (Kyler only managed 25 points).

YMMV on the road game at Lambeau where he only attempted 16 passes and had 48 total offensive plays.
The passing TD vs the Browns capped a one yard drive. Congratulations.

He had no passing TDs vs. the Cardinal Amazon Driver Defense.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Purdy is a tough rank. In fact, 8-15 and how you could swap them around demonstrates the state of the league at the QB position pretty well.
QB rating in the three playoff games of 87,88,89

on rating, he was 11th out of 14 Qbs in the playoffs

history also weighs on his ranking -- we saw Shanahan make Garrapolo look like a good QB for stretches

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson