What a Hard Draft to Evaluate

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
If MO had done that, and it might turn out to be a good move, but not only the national media, but many on this Board would have trashed him for:
1. Taking a RB so high.
2. Drafting a guy with short arms that many say is better suited for OG.
Time will tell.
A reach is a reach. If I deem Anderson jr the best football player in the draft; I'm taking him no matter what the roster looks like.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He wouldn't have if PJ were available for other teams to pick.

PJ would have gone at #7 to the Raiders. Maybe Falcons take Tyree instead of Bijan and Bijan falls further back. I don't think Tackle market would play out any different.

Titans likely had Paris then Skoronski so would have taken him either way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess you mean that taking a RB at #3 is a SUPER REACH. And with that I'll agree.
No he thinks Paris was a reach...which is really silly when you consider that pretty much everyone agreed before this draft that there were a cluster of 12ish players with similar grades. But the Cardinals obviously wanted to address tackle, so Paris was the guy.

Personally I had Skoronski and Paris with a similar grade, but I look at Skoronski as ideally a guard and Paris as a tackle.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No he thinks Paris was a reach...which is really silly when you consider that pretty much everyone agreed before this draft that there were a cluster of 12ish players with similar grades. But the Cardinals obviously wanted to address tackle, so Paris was the guy.

Personally I had Skoronski and Paris with a similar grade, but I look at Skoronski as ideally a guard and Paris as a tackle.
I preferred Skoronski myself, and wish the team had stood at 12 and just gone CB, but you got it spot on with the Cards' thinking.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
just gone CB
Why?

Trenches, trenches, trenches. We all know that’s where the game is won.

I don’t understand wanting to draft a CB behind mostly a bad front 7 instead of a LT(who I know will play Guard just this year).

You’re just setting him up to fail. The fanbase would get mad at him allowing a TD because he couldn’t cover for 6 seconds.

Stout

Reaction score
Why?

Trenches, trenches, trenches. We all know that’s where the game is won.

I don’t understand wanting to draft a CB behind mostly a bad front 7 instead of a LT(who I know will play Guard just this year).

You’re just setting him up to fail. The fanbase would get mad at him allowing a TD because he couldn’t cover for 6 seconds.
Because then we'd have had consecutive 2nd round picks plus change that we didn't spend to trade up?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because then we'd have had consecutive 2nd round picks plus change that we didn't spend to trade up?
Still didn’t give me an actual reason as to why you wanted CB at 12.

Stout

Reaction score
Still didn’t give me an actual reason as to why you wanted CB at 12.
Gonzalez. I wanted Gonzalez #12 because he would have been best available for us at that point. Trading back up to 6, I'd have preferred Skoronski to PJ, but am not going to argue with the Cards on that one. Rather than Paris, who isn't a sure thing, I'd have stayed at 12 and gone BPA, which was probably Gonzalez, IMO.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Broderick Jones, OT would have been an option at #12 if the plan was to address trenches --

a good prospect, but one i have never seen ranked higher than Johnson or Skoronski

the Cards could still have traded down with Tenn at #33 (and LV at #34 - who really wanted Mayer) and come away with Ojulari and .......?

we will fill in "Tippman" -- but maybe its a Corner or one of the DTs

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The league is full of 250lb outside linebackers who aren't great against the run. Chandler Jones was one of them.

For his size he handles himself well. If he going to be throwing off 300lb tackles like a 270lb DE? No he isn't, but he's no worse than many successful OLB's. Certainly not at the same stage. It's something he has to work on, it's something every edge in this class has to work on, including Will Anderson.
So which is it? You said it is all over his tape he can defend the edge.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The only people saying this have been on this board, from what I've heard. Every time it came up with the talking heads n TV, the center class was spoke of glowingly. This is a false ASFN narrative.
But the persistent minority keep saying enough so it must be true.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One caveat to all this confusion, is our GM is a Belicek product, and a LOT of draft picks I see NE make, I wonder about on draft day. Then I see them playing well in the NFL later on for NE. Is it picking a certain type of player as Belicek says, or is it any player playing in his system that has to produce or they are out? This draft will be a good barometer of our GM's philosophy and seeing if it is the type of player that makes the difference.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Hahahaha! Also, I've only seen the narrative that this center class sucked on this message board.
There were definitely quality Centers in this draft, and just think about how the left side of our line would've looked with DJ, PJ, and Schmitz at Center

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gonzalez. I wanted Gonzalez #12 because he would have been best available for us at that point. Trading back up to 6, I'd have preferred Skoronski to PJ, but am not going to argue with the Cards on that one. Rather than Paris, who isn't a sure thing, I'd have stayed at 12 and gone BPA, which was probably Gonzalez, IMO.
Maybe. You stay at 12 and it changes the entire draft. Maybe the Falcons get a trade down offer since they know they can get Robinson a few picks later and then both Johnson and Gonzalez are gone.

So imagine a world where Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Johnson, and Skoronski are all gone. Just to save a 2nd round pick. Big nope.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So which is it? You said it is all over his tape he can defend the edge.

The one I clearly explained where he's good against the run for his size and the expectation levels of a 250lb OLB.

Nobody is expected a 250lb to throw off a 310lb tackle for a TFL. They are expected to stand up the tackle and keep contain so the RB can't get to the outside and the linebacker can fulfil his gap assignment, and Ojulari does that frequently on tape.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The only people saying this have been on this board, from what I've heard. Every time it came up with the talking heads n TV, the center class was spoke of glowingly. This is a false ASFN narrative.
I don't listen to the talking heads as much.

My favorite guy is Jeremiah, but I also listen to a few others. One thing that scares the crap out of me about Tippmann is he routinely gives up his chest. If you watch a ton of reps from him, I think that even with his tools, he's going to struggle initially.

JMS is straight up old for a rookie, and older players may not have much room for growth. It happens all of the time with older players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson