My Draft Expectations & Preferences

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I realize some of these choices may differ slightly from my mock, but if everything falls into place earlier, I take a few chances. I think it’s imperative the Cards begin the draft by selecting one of the top 3 WRs. Whether they trade down or stay put they must acquire a weapon of this caliber. Not only for the fans, but now they’ve decided Murray is the QB. They owe it to him. Too often the Cards have allowed players to fail by not providing the weapons that would allow them to succeed.

If they ignore this advice and end up at pick 11 they should switch direction and build the most powerful defense possible. I pick the best CB on the board, though history has been mixed on CBs taken early. The Cards could go Mitchell or Arnold. I favor Arnold because of his toughness. I would be fine with either guy. The other big defensive need is Edge. It’s just too early to make that choice here.

Following this line, if the Cards ended up at 11, they also have 23. Here the Cards must move up. I’m gong to 15 to make certain I get my man. This would cost picks 66 & 138. I’m taking Verse. He will not give you a giant year one sack total, but like Anderson, he plays all aspects of the position. He will gradually build his number of sacks, but he will immediately lock down a key spot for 5 years. He’s the essence of a team player.

I realize the Cards can’t completely ignore their weak current WR group. At 27 I take Mitchell. You can debate whether he’s a 1 or 2 WR, but he’s a weapon Murray can use. He can certainly grow into a 1 with proper coaching. If he’s gone I take McConkey or Coleman.

At 35 I go back to defense. If Newton is there he’s my pick. If not I’d take Jenkins. If both are gone, I switch to offense and take Kingsley Suamataia. He can move inside to LG or compete with Williams for a tackle slot with the loser going to LG.

At 71 if Fiske fell I’d take him. He should be gone, but maybe. If not I’m taking another player early; Brenden Rice. My love of legacy players comes forth again. This is talented receiver who’s been too often compared to his dad. Compared to the other available WRs, he fits here. The best thing about legacy players is effort. That fits with what the Cards are trying to build.

At 90 I’m gambling on Sweat. I know there are maturity questions. Those issues have been raised with numerous players through the years. Dockett was in that category. There’s no guarantee, but the Cards would be aware of the concern. At 90 I think the risk is justified. If they got Fiske, obviously they go elsewhere, like Christian Mahogany. He might be the best pulling guard in the draft. Even if they get Suamataia, I like him for fit and depth.

Next comes 104. If you looked at my mock, you know they may well have filled to slots I pointed to for this pick. The exception is likely CB. Khyree Jackson intrigues me. I see him as a slot corner or maybe a safety if he adds strength. He’d also be useful to cover TEs. He’s very competitive and he can play several different roles.

At this point of the draft you start looking for returning injured players, special teams contributors and talented athletes who are projects. Role players like a blocking TE would fit. You’re just looking for players who could make some sort of contribution. I have some of that type in my mock.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice update, just hope they get one of the 3 top WRs. Having 6 picks in the top 90 should add some solid value

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I realize some of these choices may differ slightly from my mock, but if everything falls into place earlier, I take a few chances. I think it’s imperative the Cards begin the draft by selecting one of the top 3 WRs. Whether they trade down or stay put they must acquire a weapon of this caliber. Not only for the fans, but now they’ve decided Murray is the QB. They owe it to him. Too often the Cards have allowed players to fail by not providing the weapons that would allow them to succeed.

If they ignore this advice and end up at pick 11 they should switch direction and build the most powerful defense possible. I pick the best CB on the board, though history has been mixed on CBs taken early. The Cards could go Mitchell or Arnold. I favor Arnold because of his toughness. I would be fine with either guy. The other big defensive need is Edge. It’s just too early to make that choice here.

Following this line, if the Cards ended up at 11, they also have 23. Here the Cards must move up. I’m gong to 15 to make certain I get my man. This would cost picks 66 & 138. I’m taking Verse. He will not give you a giant year one sack total, but like Anderson, he plays all aspects of the position. He will gradually build his number of sacks, but he will immediately lock down a key spot for 5 years. He’s the essence of a team player.

I realize the Cards can’t completely ignore their weak current WR group. At 27 I take Mitchell. You can debate whether he’s a 1 or 2 WR, but he’s a weapon Murray can use. He can certainly grow into a 1 with proper coaching. If he’s gone I take McConkey or Coleman.

At 35 I go back to defense. If Newton is there he’s my pick. If not I’d take Jenkins. If both are gone, I switch to offense and take Kingsley Suamataia. He can move inside to LG or compete with Williams for a tackle slot with the loser going to LG.

At 71 if Fiske fell I’d take him. He should be gone, but maybe. If not I’m taking another player early; Brenden Rice. My love of legacy players comes forth again. This is talented receiver who’s been too often compared to his dad. Compared to the other available WRs, he fits here. The best thing about legacy players is effort. That fits with what the Cards are trying to build.

At 90 I’m gambling on Sweat. I know there are maturity questions. Those issues have been raised with numerous players through the years. Dockett was in that category. There’s no guarantee, but the Cards would be aware of the concern. At 90 I think the risk is justified. If they got Fiske, obviously they go elsewhere, like Christian Mahogany. He might be the best pulling guard in the draft. Even if they get Suamataia, I like him for fit and depth.

Next comes 104. If you looked at my mock, you know they may well have filled to slots I pointed to for this pick. The exception is likely CB. Khyree Jackson intrigues me. I see him as a slot corner or maybe a safety if he adds strength. He’d also be useful to cover TEs. He’s very competitive and he can play several different roles.

At this point of the draft you start looking for returning injured players, special teams contributors and talented athletes who are projects. Role players like a blocking TE would fit. You’re just looking for players who could make some sort of contribution. I have some of that type in my mock.

Thanks Harry!

I agree with you with H. Brown, gone it puts the Cardinals in the unenviable position of having WR1 WR2, and WR3 all unsettled. Not good!

Whether it's defense or WR at #27 maybe depends if the Cardinals leadership thinks they're still at year away. If they do, then maybe they roll with Wilson at WR2, + a later round draft pick or Chris Moore at WR3, and see if that works at all. If it doesn't then maybe those are the last pieces of the puzzle for a run at a championship in 2025.

I guess the alternative is they go WR at 27 with the intention of trying to build the best offense in the division, Christian McCaffrey be damned.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I want to come out of the first 2 days of the draft with 2 WR's. We need some firepower, and have enough picks to add to the defense. We didnt bring in ANY big names in FA, and unless we somehow have a trade lined up for Jefferson, there is no one we are bringing in who has as much potential impact as this 2 round group of rookies.

Obviously if we are able to get crazy with trades and end up betting our picks, stacking picks for next year...and we can still get great players that's fine, but its too hard to predict.

That said, if we stick and pick....Im going MHJ at #4, Newton/Murphy/Robinson/Kool-Aid at #27, and Keon Coleman at #35.