Week 9 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 3/04/24-3/10/24

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scuttlebutt is Jones takes a lot of plays off. Not sure that’s a good fit for the culture Gannon wants to build (making him the alpha of the Defense).

Wilkinson maybe, but there will be other suitors more rich in cap money.

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm not blowing the bank on a big name DT in FA this year. I'd much rather them go after middle tier DTs that won't break the bank.

I think that you mentioned in another thread that if the Cardinals do go after a top tier FA defender, it should be a proven Edge rusher. I totally agree with that take.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If I'm the Cardinals, I'm not blowing the bank on a big name DT in FA this year. I'd much rather them go after middle tier DTs that won't break the bank.

I think that you mentioned in another thread that if the Cardinals do go after a top tier FA defender, it should be a proven Edge rusher. I totally agree with that take.

I don't know. I think it's valuable to have the right guy in the center of your defense. Some talking heads call it "Building the spine" of the defense. I think we have the right guys at safety and ILB, but there's nothing at IDL.

I think you get four good years out of Christian Wilkins. I think he's a high-octane Corey Peters. I think you can get two or three good years out of Sheldon Rankins, although you probably have to invest more in the draft class at the position, because he's a rotational player.

I really don't want to pay for sacks. IMO there's too much volatility in the players that reach free agency. Just depends on what you mean by "middle tier DTs." If you can give me Rankins and Fatukasi for a combined $18-20 million, that's probably a win.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I think it's valuable to have the right guy in the center of your defense. Some talking heads call it "Building the spine" of the defense. I think we have the right guys at safety and ILB, but there's nothing at IDL.

I think you get four good years out of Christian Wilkins. I think he's a high-octane Corey Peters. I think you can get two or three good years out of Sheldon Rankins, although you probably have to invest more in the draft class at the position, because he's a rotational player.

I really don't want to pay for sacks. IMO there's too much volatility in the players that reach free agency. Just depends on what you mean by "middle tier DTs." If you can give me Rankins and Fatukasi for a combined $18-20 million, that's probably a win.

I just think it's easier to find a decent DT in FA(middle tier) or the Draft. Finding a quality Edge rusher in the draft is difficult.

Yes someone like Rankins would fit the middle tier FA DT that I was referring to.

Yeah I'm referring to a proven elite FA edge rusher like a Danielle Hunter. Hunter consistently gets double digit sacks and QB hits. The only reason he is a FA this year is the contract that he signed last season had a No Tag clause in it. But yeah I'm not spending big bucks on a one year sack wonder hoping that they can repeat.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did Chris Wilkins sign with us lol? Why are the AzCardinals trending on X?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine trading picks for Sean Payton only to blow it up after a year and start a multi year rebuild.

Why would anyone trade for Jeudy?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

What FA proven edge rusher? They just got franchised.

I strongly disagree with your first statement. We need studs and especially on defense. We don't need JAG starters. We're not getting a stud Edge in FA because they aren't available. I'd rather get a stud DT than a top corner at this point.

Not breaking the bank is so irrelevant. We as fans don't nee to try to keep the team's powder dry here :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I strongly disagree with your first statement. We need studs and especially on defense. We don't need JAG starters. We're not getting a stud Edge in FA because they aren't available. I'd rather get a stud DT than a top corner at this point.

Not breaking the bank is so irrelevant. We as fans don't nee to try to keep the team's powder dry here :)
That defense was historically bad. They need both one or two studs AND JAG starters who are not coming off a stint driving for Amazon or studying for finals.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

If we spend big DT is exactly where it needs to happen.
A penetrating DT makes everyone on our defense better.

With what we currently have inside any edge we bring in can be schemed out of the game pretty easily.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
White has only played 21 of 50 games the last 3 years.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Tre was great with the bills, FA CB market is pretty thin with Snead and Johnson getting tagged. If he’s healthy enough I’d take a shot on him and draft a corner day 2.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There will probably be at least 40ish more cuts coming, to get teams clear of the cap. Buyers market.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He's a slot corner though.
As much as teams play nickle an experienced slot corner has value.

Philly obviously wants him to take a pay cut...we just need to offer him more than the iggles. Assuming of course he wants to reunite with JG

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Danielle Hunter had it in his contract that he couldn't be tagged this offseason. So he is available and I would throw $24M ish per year at him. Plus he played for JG when JG was coaching in Minn. so there is familiarity there.

On NFL.com he is listed as the #4 FA available now that the Franchise tags have been assigned:

I'm not sure why you don't consider him a proven pass rusher (27 sacks over the last two seasons)? Or why you wouldn't spend big money on him?

In my offseason plan I had the Cardinals signing him to a three year contract similar to this so his cap hit this season is very manageable:

Contract Projection: Three years, $72 million ($24 million per year), $36 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $10.5M
2025 $16M $25M
2026 $18.5M $27.5M
2027 Void $9M

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Danielle Hunter had it in his contract that he couldn't be tagged this offseason. So he is available and I would throw $24M ish per year at him. Plus he played for JG when JG was coaching in Minn. so there is familiarity there.

On NFL.com he is listed as the #4 FA available now that the Franchise tags have been assigned:

I'm not sure why you don't consider him a proven pass rusher (27 sacks over the last two seasons)? Or why you wouldn't spend big money on him?

In my offseason plan I had the Cardinals signing him to a three year contract similar to this so his cap hit this season is very manageable:

Contract Projection: Three years, $72 million ($24 million per year), $36 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $10.5M
2025 $16M $25M
2026 $18.5M $27.5M
2027 Void $9M
Yes, he's the one. Do you honestly think the Cards will outbid everyone for the one top Edge? I mean, I'd love to have him, and we could do it. With DT, I'm being slightly more hopeful as there are multiple options.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard