Week 7: Cardinals Off-Season 2/20/2023-2/26/2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes it would be terrible to be innovators in the field of forward thinking

It's nothing to do with being innovative. I guarantee lots of teams TRY to extend players early and they all say "Nah we're good".

DT is one of the longest positions to develop in the NFL. Even the best top 10 guys often don't start to really produce until year 3 onwards. We have seen it ourselves with Allen.

As I've said before, they are only going to except a year 3 extension if you pay them what they think they will get after year 4. Nobody is taking $10m now that they only receive in a year when they think $14m is achievable in a year. 3rd year extensions are taken by guys that already feel they reached their peak and are getting paid their top money. WR's with 1300 yard seasons. QB's with 4000 yard seasons. CB's with multiple pro bowls that are shut down etc

Justin Jefferson will likely get a 3rd year extension because he ain't getting better in year 4. Brandon Aiyuk will not, because he's still ascending and will get more later. Unless Niners pay him $25m now that is.

If you were a WR that just put up 1000 yards in year 3 and your team came to you and said "You did well, here's a 4 year deal at $15m per" would you take it? Or would you think you had 1400 yards in you and you could get $23-24m in a years time?

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Allen's one of those guys who is starting to pick up buzz in everything I read, so I do get concerned he's going to get offered some kind of a Christian Kirk kind of deal in an offseason where we don't have a lot of coin to throw around.

As you said, it all comes down to money. I can't imagine Allen's going to sign before hitting FA, it does him no good to not at least see what's out there. The same goes for Byron Murphy.

I agree, I don't think he will. His agent will have a number he thinks is achievable in FA. Let's say $15m. If the Cards offer that he may well sign but then I don't think they offer that.

All depends who is offering the $15m too. Me personally, I'd take $13.5m to stay in Arizona than take $15m to freeze my ass off in Chicago. But depends on the person.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then I have to hate your guts. Season's just going downhill for the Mags. Effing Charlie Browns of soccer, man.

I like Newcastle. If they were in the final against anyone else I would have liked them to win. They have good fans who deserve some wins. They weren't really in the game yesterday though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I like Newcastle. If they were in the final against anyone else I would have liked them to win. They have good fans who deserve some wins. They weren't really in the game yesterday though.
I think Eddie Howe said it best--they were dominant in the middle third of the pitch, but a touch off in both boxes. And that's a recipe for a loss, which is just how it played out.

If this game is played pre-WC, Newcastle wins, I am confident. It was always going to be tough with Newcastle in bad form and Man U flying now, though.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I agree, I don't think he will. His agent will have a number he thinks is achievable in FA. Let's say $15m. If the Cards offer that he may well sign but then I don't think they offer that.

All depends who is offering the $15m too. Me personally, I'd take $13.5m to stay in Arizona than take $15m to freeze my ass off in Chicago. But depends on the person.
Yeah, there's a few factors at play. I don't recall if it's in this thread or not, but there's a conversation going on about income tax in a thread here, and if you have the choice between an LA team at 13% tax, and AZ at 2.5%, that can make a difference. Allen isn't coming out of FA as the highest paid at his position of all time, so there's no stroking of the ego there.

Although, unfortunately to your point about who is offering it... I don't know that I'd be particularly inclined to pick AZ in what is likely to be an abysmal year without your top QB, where you're more likely to have a season jockeying for a top five pick in front of other teams' fans instead of on a roster more ready to compete with a loyal fanbase.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a few factors at play. I don't recall if it's in this thread or not, but there's a conversation going on about income tax in a thread here, and if you have the choice between an LA team at 13% tax, and AZ at 2.5%, that can make a difference. Allen isn't coming out of FA as the highest paid at his position of all time, so there's no stroking of the ego there.

Although, unfortunately to your point about who is offering it... I don't know that I'd be particularly inclined to pick AZ in what is likely to be an abysmal year without your top QB, where you're more likely to have a season jockeying for a top five pick in front of other teams' fans instead of on a roster more ready to compete with a loyal fanbase.

I don't think it's going to be an abysmal year. I don't get the feeling anyone around the building is setting up for it to be an abysmal year. It could be, but much is still in play.

I don't think Kyler is going to be out as long as people thought (including me) and while it's easy to think the year is a write off when you look at who we play the only QB's that are likely top 10 guys are,

Dak
Hurts
Jackson (assuming he stays)
Burrow

Maybe, depending on how they return you can add Stafford and Watson. But that Rams team looks to be rebuilding.

A long way to go yet. Hard to really say on this accurately until post FA and draft. But I don't think the year is as much as a write off as people think.

Playoffs are a distant outside shot but I think we could be mediocre and eek out 7-8 wins with a prevailing wind.

Much will depend on Kyler. If Kyler hits the rehab hard and is invigorated by the new staff and comes out like 2021 Kyler then anything is possible.

But from a player perspective, I think it would be short sighted to look at only one year. Allen may look at the new staff and believe the future is bright even if next year might not be.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Eddie Howe said it best--they were dominant in the middle third of the pitch, but a touch off in both boxes. And that's a recipe for a loss, which is just how it played out.

If this game is played pre-WC, Newcastle wins, I am confident. It was always going to be tough with Newcastle in bad form and Man U flying now, though.
Somehow this thread got hijacked by soccer, when it would have more appropriate to talk rugby. ;-)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

During the lead up to the Super Bowl, I heard multiple players from other teams make a comment about how they wished they lived somewhere with the weather of Arizona.

Arizona is a place that a lot of people want to live.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson