We Need A Smarter Offense

BLRIGHT

Reaction score
I'm with those that say we need to use the no-huddle much earlier and more often. It works, but it has limitations. It works best with defenses that use multiple blitz packages and other schemes requiring constant communication with the defensive coordinator (i.e., the Ravens). It did not work as well against the Redskins and Bucs because they use base defenses and stuck with rushing only the front four. So we can't just abandon the base offense because these defenses basically dare you to pass the ball on them and stop the run well too.

But I think these games exposed gaping holes in our game plans and offensive philosophy. WE HAVE NO ABSOLUTELY NO PLAY ACTION PASS GAME, WE DO NOT RUN DRAWS OFTEN AND WE DO NOT RUN SCREEN PASSES. This is what you need to do when linebackers like London Fletcher (who was all over the field) can guess pass or run in literally one step on a play. We have a two dimensional offense: we hand the ball off to Edge or drop back and throw to our wideouts. We have to keep the defense guessing and use plays that complement our core running and passing plays.

With Warner in his current state, running the plays above can be huge because they will slow down the pass rush, keep linebackers honest, have a higher success rate and will ultimately help the base running game because they compliment it.

The people who are calling for Rattay to play on anything other than goal line plays (which may be unnecessary now) or if Warner goes down are misguided. Warner knows this offense better than his coaches and is playing unbelievably well with one arm. I sometimes wonder whether he's doing enough warm-ups because he plays so well late in the game, but he's incredibly tough, I think people are losing sight of that. With more help in the running game, more use of the no-huddle and smarter offense, we're going to be just fine.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WE HAVE NO ABSOLUTELY NO PLAY ACTION PASS GAME, WE DO NOT RUN DRAWS OFTEN AND WE DO NOT RUN SCREEN PASSES.

We would if we had Adrian Peterson.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BLright, welcome to ASFN. However, calling those who disagree with you "idiots," is not a good start for a first post.

Go back and read the board rules, please.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
With Warner in his current state, running the plays above can be huge because they will slow down the pass rush, keep linebackers honest, have a higher success rate and will ultimately help the base running game because they compliment it.

With Warner in his current state of handing off backwards with his right arm it makes it nearly impossible to pull of play action passes.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with those that say we need to use the no-huddle much earlier and more often. It works, but it has limitations. It works best with defenses that use multiple blitz packages and other schemes requiring constant communication with the defensive coordinator (i.e., the Ravens). It did not work as well against the Redskins and Bucs because they use base defenses and stuck with rushing only the front four. So we can't just abandon the base offense because these defenses basically dare you to pass the ball on them and stop the run well too.

But I think these games exposed gaping holes in our game plans and offensive philosophy. WE HAVE NO ABSOLUTELY NO PLAY ACTION PASS GAME, WE DO NOT RUN DRAWS OFTEN AND WE DO NOT RUN SCREEN PASSES. This is what you need to do when linebackers like London Fletcher (who was all over the field) can guess pass or run in literally one step on a play. We have a two dimensional offense: we hand the ball off to Edge or drop back and throw to our wideouts. We have to keep the defense guessing and use plays that complement our core running and passing plays.

The people who are calling for Rattay to play on anything other than goal line plays (which may be unnecessary now) or if Warner goes down are absolute idiots. Warner knows this offense better than his coaches and is playing unbelievably well with one arm. I sometimes wonder whether he's doing enough warm-ups because he plays so well late in the game, but he's incredibly tough, I think people are losing sight of that. With more help in the running game, more use of the no-huddle and smarter offense, we're going to be just fine.

I am becoming more idiotic by the day.

How do you reconcile the need for more play action passes (and the fact that we have a one-armed, immobile QB in Warner), with stating that a change to a QB more suited to faking a hand-off is idiotic?

JTS