Trade down Nonsense Moderator

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't say I didn't warn you. I lost my original thread in database crashes/reorgs/whatever.

Then as now I promised to bump this whenever somebody started in on the Trade Down and stock picks.

Great idea but get used to it folks this isn't going to happen, certainly not from a #6 spot, barring a miracle nobody want's to pay for it. I hear the Benagls want out of #1 and have no takers.

I was reading articles last year saying how tough it will be to sign top picks last year and predicting that this year will be much worse.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6011265.

It seems to me that the only way teams are going to be able to offer these rookies large increases is an every increasing reliance on mortaging their future.

If you do this every year and the cost of the mortgage goes up every year (ie pool flat, minimums up) you are going to reach a breaking point real quick.

I still maintain that the Cardinals way of doing contracts may have sucked 10 years ago but now it may be the right way for long term success.

I also think that sticking to their position for Bryant will make this year a little easier, unlike teams which caved and took out a mortgage. For us the agent should realize going in that we are not going to cave in.

The same articles I've been reading on this subject for the last year suggest some common priorities teams are working on.

1) Sign your own FA, you know them and they know your system
2) Only expect to sign 1 or 2 good external FA
3) Stick to your guns in the draft contracts

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Krang you made me bump this, don't ************ over there and hurt you

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
Krang you made me bump this, don't ************ over there and hurt you

:biglaugh:

Nidan, you better watch out! You're karate is no match for my kung-fu! :D

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming that was true for a moment, consider that I have been studying karate longer than you have been alive.

:D

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To give you and idea here are some the people I have trained with and some of which I know well enough to got out for drink with. Although both Brighteyes and I have our 1st degree BB in Kenpo

http://www.dragonsociety.com/

Brighteyes and I are very good friends with Mr Moneymaker and Mr Muncy. You will never met a nicer person than Tom Muncy, but he is huge, even by our OL standards.

Mr Moneymaker promoted us to 2nd Degree about 10 years ago

Willie Lim is local here in Phoenx and he is a good friend our ours. I can't say enough good things about him from both MA and personal viewpoints. Brighteyes and I have done quite a bit with him, so you can see we know a little of Tai Chi and Kung Fu.

http://www.classicaldimension.com/biolim.htm

Wally Jay

http://www.smallcirclejujitsu.com/

Studied with Mr Dillman in the late 80's and he introduced us to Rick Moneymaker

http://www.dillman.com/

http://www.professorpresas.com/

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Assuming that was true for a moment, consider that I have been studying karate longer than you have been alive.

Well, I better watch myself then! :D

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This post makes me giggle.

I used to say this every year but now I save my breath. People like talking ridiculous scenarios and rumors before the draft, it's all in fun but you have to keep in mind that it's just fiction.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
This post makes me giggle.

I used to say this every year but now I save my breath. People like talking ridiculous scenarios and rumors before the draft, it's all in fun but you have to keep in mind that it's just fiction.

Totally true, but on message boards it's fun to fantasize! :D

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's better, you should learn to respect your elders, particulary when then can come in as a visiting instructor.

Unfortunatly business doesn't leave me enough time to train as consistantly as I would like these days. My interests lie in the application of CHI to throwing people around and knocking them over.

It's a facinating subject best discussed over a joint lock ;)

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No RATS, while I would think that it be a nice idea and I would love to be surprised.

Not going to happen

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Nidan – thanks for the topic.

This is one of my pet peeve frustration type things, particularly with some of the talk radio types who make trading down sound as easy as walking into the store and picking up a gallon of milk.

They never seem to remember that trading down also requires someone wanting to trade up, and be willing to give up something of enough value to do so. It doesn’t always happen.

If the Cardinals are on the clock, and one of the QB’s is there, there is probably interest, but after that, I am not sure -- unless you want them to go quite low in the draft (in the twenties). Given the way rookie contracts have gone, people are not in a huge hurry to trade into the top ten. You never know until the draft day gets there.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The latest winner of a Fish Slap is ...

Chris_Sanders

Not happening buddy.

Dang, I wish I could get the animated icon to work

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See my reply to this Nidan. Like you, I thought it was best to insult you on a completely different thread than the one I am talking about.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The latest winner of a Fish Slap is ...

Chris_Sanders

Not happening buddy.

Dang, I wish I could get the animated icon to work

colon-"trout"-colon

Not too hard :)

:trout:

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been away for a day, did Chris take a dump on me.

he said he was going to but I looked and couldn't find a thread where he insulted me.

I don't have a thin skin, but then as I think Skorp deleted it I'll never know.

We all have our little foibles, Section 11 is a loon, I slap people for saying trade down. It's this fish slap for trade down talk is intented a fun folks.

Lighten folks or I'll set Krang onto you and he knows Kung Fu :)

Testing the trout

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I've been away for a day, did Chris take a dump on me.

he said he was going to but I looked and couldn't find a thread where he insulted me.

I don't have a thin skin, but then as I think Skorp deleted it I'll never know.

We all have our little foibles, Section 11 is a loon, I slap people for saying trade down. It's this fish slap for trade down talk is intented a fun folks.

Lighten folks or I'll set Krang onto you and he knows Kung Fu :)

Testing the trout

Perhaps the "Kung Fu" Krang knows is the "hacker" kind, since that is the lingo used to describe their ability to ply their trade... :D

So, just so I can understand Nidan, you are saying that you wouldn't mind it if the Cardinals traded down, but that it is highly unlikely that it would happen? Or are you saying that the Cards trading down would be a bad idea?

Reaction score
Actually I think because of less money involved, a team would prefer to trade up to #5 or #6 position if a quality player is available than to #1 or #2. Therefore, if the Cardinals want a trade, one might be available. But I doubt that they could get 2 #1s for our pick. More likely a #1 and a #2. But hey, what do I know?:cool:

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct I do not mind if they trade down, although my colledge ball knowledge is minimal, so I don't really know.

My comments are related to the likelyhood of it happening.

Krang does really know some Kung Fu (I think), but we have a bit of a joke going on between us. He figured out that I know more than a bit of Karate, Kung Fu and Tai Chi, so I told him to respect his elders :)

Hence Nidan = 2nd Degree Black Belt

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trout Slap Award

And the latest winner of the "Trade Down" trout slap is ...

Mr. Boston89

It's not that I don't want to but have you noticed all the teams and analysts talking trade down. How many have you heard talking trade up ?

It takes two to Tango and hoping this is taken with a pinch of sense of humor as I heard my last Troup Slap award was not. Never saw it but apparently it was enteraining.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard