Building the Roster

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Let’s assume Murray stays. Step one is to project your cap. I’m using Overthecap data & Spotrac info. The Cards are projected to have $64 million to start. Assuming they keep all their picks (they won’t), I’m guessing their rookie pool at about $26 million. I’m also guessing cuts, like Ertz post 6/1, total $11 million. That leaves the Cards at $49 million spendable. I’m also assuming for this post that they don’t re-sign Brown or extend anyone.

You start with the positions that are weak in the draft. When I say weak that’s a relative term. For example, there will be DTs taken in the draft, but only 3-4 in the first 2 rounds despite the widespread shortage. Even if you target one in round one, he may be gone before you choose. So you should at least consider targeting one in free agency.

Next consider positions that have an elusive history of success. CB jumps out at me. There are good potential CBs in this draft, but the bust rate is high. I’d target Kendall Fuller who could add stability and experience to the unit, plus some badly needed ballhawking. Williams may fit at number 2 and later swap status with Fuller. The Cards can get a good slot in the draft. I know Fuller may have a year one hit of $15 million.

Edge rushers, in the Cards’ case DEs, are often hard to project. I like Collins and he’s improving, but he will be in his last contract year next season. Ojulari is on the way up. Gardeck is useful. Still if the right impact player was available you’d have to consider him. Yannick Ngakoue at DE could be a bargain coming off a terrible year with the Bears. They might get him on a one year, make good contract for around $8 million. The risk is affordable and the Cards could win big. It is concerning he’s changed teams so often.

The DL needs help. Maybe a durable DT, like Sheldon Rankins. He offers a good balanced run/pass rush skillset. He also offers leadership. He’s not a Pro Bowler, but he’d be a solid addition. He has accumulated enough tread wear that you could likely get him on a 2 year contract, maybe 3. Think $10 million hit.

Next comes positions with decent availability at typically affordable costs. This would be exemplified by blocking TEs. They should be out there at a negligible cost.

Finally positions with multiple needs. The O-line comes to mind. You don’t want too many rookies on one line. The Cards need proven guards. Connor Williams looks like an appropriate target. The Cards have been terrible inside. Williams would solve that. He’ll cost big money, maybe a $15 million+ hit, but he would permanently lock down the LG slot. He’d be a great mentor for developing linemen. I’m remember how acquiring Hutchinson worked for Minnesota. I know that’s a great deal to spend on a guard. Williams, however, would help both Humphries and Froholdt. I’m thinking Humphries current weak year is partly due to having to try to help this parade of terribly weak LGs. Protecting the QB is paramount.

Well, I’ve likely spent the money leaving a little tweaking room. I’ve got 2 aces in Fuller and Connor. I’ve added solid vets on the DL to merge with up and comers like Stills. A few existing contracts could be reworked to gain more breathing room. Humphries could be moved if you are committed to drafting an OT. I believe a group like this would be a solid base to use to set up for the draft.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s assume Murray stays. Step one is to project your cap. I’m using Overthecap data & Spotrac info. The Cards are projected to have $64 million to start. Assuming they keep all their picks (they won’t), I’m guessing their rookie pool at about $26 million. I’m also guessing cuts, like Ertz post 6/1, total $11 million. That leaves the Cards at $49 million spendable. I’m also assuming for this post that they don’t re-sign Brown or extend anyone.

You start with the positions that are weak in the draft. When I say weak that’s a relative term. For example, there will be DTs taken in the draft, but only 3-4 in the first 2 rounds despite the widespread shortage. Even if you target one in round one, he may be gone before you choose. So you should at least consider targeting one in free agency.

Next consider positions that have an elusive history of success. CB jumps out at me. There are good potential CBs in this draft, but the bust rate is high. I’d target Kendall Fuller who could add stability and experience to the unit, plus some badly needed ballhawking. Williams may fit at number 2 and later swap status with Fuller. The Cards can get a good slot in the draft. I know Fuller may have a year one hit of $15 million.

Edge rushers, in the Cards’ case DEs, are often hard to project. I like Collins and he’s improving, but he will be in his last contract year next season. Ojulari is on the way up. Gardeck is useful. Still if the right impact player was available you’d have to consider him. Yannick Ngakoue at DE could be a bargain coming off a terrible year with the Bears. They might get him on a one year, make good contract for around $8 million. The risk is affordable and the Cards could win big. It is concerning he’s changed teams so often.

That $26M seems really high for the Rookie Pool. If they selected at their current position the two first round picks would only cost about $11M against the cap ($7.5M + $3M). The second round pick would be around $2M. The third round picks would be around $1M each. The rest of the picks would likely be just under $1M each.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That $26M seems really high for the Rookie Pool. If they selected at their current position the two first round picks would only cost about $11M against the cap ($7.5M + $3M). The second round pick would be around $2M. The third round picks would be around $1M each. The rest of the picks would likely be just under $1M each.
Plus, instead of hoping the players you want will be available I hope they consume some draft capital to go after the players they want.

We could also acquire draft capital by moving down although some would be for the next year’s draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yup. That's why I like OvertheCap's Effective Cap Space as a jumping off point. Gives you the chance to see how much you have to upgrade the roster's 30-40 replacement-level players we have right now.

Cards have $44.1 million in effective cap space and 1 interior defensive lineman. Love to get two above-replacement level free agents in here before the draft (You Jonathans Ledbetter will always be available).

@Krangodnzr has incisively observed that the Cards can also restructure Kyler and/or Humphries to open up additional cap room.

Left guards are insanely cheap if you're not looking to take the biggest name out there. It shouldn't be a huge lift to add one of our three favorites from this list:

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Left guards are insanely cheap if you're not looking to take the biggest name out there. It shouldn't be a huge lift to add one of our three favorites from this list:

I would add Robert Hunt from Miami to the list.

Not sure what the cost will be but he is a solid/young OG.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
That $26M seems really high for the Rookie Pool.
while the rookie pool will be some high number -- the practical effect on the cap is always far lower than the rookie pool number

the reason: cap takes the top 53 salaries, even though you may have 90 players "signed" in the offseason. Every time you sign one of your rookie draftees - it knocks the 53rd highest paid player off the cap list. Those players typically have vet minimum cap hits of around $800k.

as an example: BJ Ojoulari, 2nd round pick has a $1.6mm cap hit. When they signed him, $1.6mm went on the cap, but $800k came off by knocking the 53rd highest paid player "off" the cap roster. Net impact -- $800k.

I suspect the net impact of signing the 2024 draft pool will be less than $7mm

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yup. That's why I like OvertheCap's Effective Cap Space as a jumping off point. Gives you the chance to see how much you have to upgrade the roster's 30-40 replacement-level players we have right now.

Cards have $44.1 million in effective cap space and 1 interior defensive lineman. Love to get two above-replacement level free agents in here before the draft (You Jonathans Ledbetter will always be available).

@Krangodnzr has incisively observed that the Cards can also restructure Kyler and/or Humphries to open up additional cap room.

There's a Runyan on that list. We should get him... Runyan are always good linemen

Did some research...availability is solid... only 6 penalties in his career...the downside is that 4 of the 6 have come in the 9 games this season.

Would be a good get.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Plus, instead of hoping the players you want will be available I hope they consume some draft capital to go after the players they want.

We could also acquire draft capital by moving down although some would be for the next year’s draft.
Having the two extra third rounders will be helpful if the Cardinals do want to move up.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are in such a good position to go in a number of directions.
A Wr or an ot will be available when we make our first pick depending what the teams above us do.
I’d prefer to sign an experienced guard to solidify the o-line.
A cornerback would be nice as well as a big bad ass Dt.
I want a rb in the mold of a guy like Auchane….FAST!
That leaves a lot of picks and cap space to do what we need.

All we really need is Kyler to be the man. If that happens we will compete for a playoff spot next year.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

You can, of course, get cheaper LGs. I want the best one on the market. Spotrac has been reasonably accurate. I mentioned Hutchinson to the Vikes. Everyone yelled overpay for a guard. He transformed that entire line. Here’s the note from Vikes’ history page. “Hutchinson was a significant factor in the Vikings improving from 6-10 in his first season to 8-8 in 2007 and 10-6 with a playoff appearance in 2008. The progression led to a 12-4 showing in 2009 when Minnesota advanced to the NFC Championship.”

Here’s their thought.

Market Value​

• 5 yrs, $67,676,377
  • Avg. Salary: $13,535,275
Here’s their comps
PLAYERLENGTHVALUEAVG. SALARYAGE WHEN SIGNED
Frank Ragnow4$54,000,000$13,500,00024
Corey Linsley5$62,500,000$12,500,00029
Erik McCoy5$60,000,000$12,000,00025
Mitch Morse2$19,500,000$9,750,00029
Averages4$49,000,000$12,250,00026.8

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You can, of course, get cheaper LGs. I want the best one on the market. Spotrac has been reasonably accurate. I mentioned Hutchinson to the Vikes. Everyone yelled overpay for a guard. He transformed that entire line. Here’s the note from Vikes’ history page. “Hutchinson was a significant factor in the Vikings improving from 6-10 in his first season to 8-8 in 2007 and 10-6 with a playoff appearance in 2008. The progression led to a 12-4 showing in 2009 when Minnesota advanced to the NFC Championship.”

Here’s their thought.

Market Value​

• 5 yrs, $67,676,377
  • Avg. Salary: $13,535,275
Here’s their comps
PLAYERLENGTHVALUEAVG. SALARYAGE WHEN SIGNED
Frank Ragnow4$54,000,000$13,500,00024
Corey Linsley5$62,500,000$12,500,00029
Erik McCoy5$60,000,000$12,000,00025
Mitch Morse2$19,500,000$9,750,00029
Averages4$49,000,000$12,250,00026.8
Seems like a lot to pay for a guy who’s never made a pro bowl.

Tennessee leads the league in cap space next year; if they don’t want to keep him, when do you ask why?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The rookie pool has two numbers. The gross allocated rookie pool is currently 21M - not 26M. But the rookie also takes the buttom spots of the roster and since the cap goes into complex calculations around the buttom end of the roster to determine the cap number where only the top 51 top paid players count against the cap, so 21M is not the cap hit. The actual cap hit is estimated 21M - 12x795k = 11.5M.

Cardinals currently hold 12 picks. 6 picks in top 84. 7 picks in the top 100. Only 3 picks in 6th and 7th round. Highly unlikely that picks drafted in the first 5 rounds are cut and at a minimum 10 picks will remain on the roster. Those picks should at a minimum result in 5 quality starters.

With the current cap space and not many quality free agants to keep. Plenty of cap space. Do 3-4 high level signings, 12 draft picks of which 10-12 will be on the team. Fill in the gaps in the 2nd round of FA. Voilá. Roster transformed.