Final Two Minutes

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Hmmm... Watching the last series again. Q4 offense was not very good but the situation was salvageable right up until the two minute warning.

We had it first and ten at the HOU 29 with two minutes left. Every chance in the world to win.

1st Down - Flat pass to Conner. Frodholt does not get any part of #48 Christian Harris and Conner is taken down for a 5 yard loss.

Defense read the play, but if Frodholt makes a decent block it probably picks up five or ten yards. Terrible execution and not sure about that play call.

2nd down - Pass to Swain for seven, which is fine, but he's tackled with 1:17 on the clock and the 3rd down play is not snapped until :39 40 seconds!

3rd down - total disaster - about ten things appeared to go wrong - Murray was still calling the play in the huddle until :57 Then at :51 Murray called for Moore to change sides into the slot and Dortch went all they way out wide? Then Murray says something to Conner (protection call?). Then the HOU player jumps. Murray maybe calls for the ball, but nothing happens? HOU shows and brings an all out Blitz. Conner blocks the blitzer coming from K1's left, and Murray throws to the right (to Brown). Brown runs a really weird route? Like he's not even running hard? But it doesn't matter because the blitzing safety/CB knocks the pass back into Murray's face. Complete disaster. The play took half the remaining game and had no chance. Not good.

4th down (1st try) - there appeared to be confusion about the initial play call and Murray has to call a timeout.

4th down (2nd try) - HOU rushes six. On the right side either Paris or McBride or T. Jones busted the protection and there's a free runner at Murray. Murray is hit hard as he throws. It actually looks like a decent ball, and Brown had a step on the defender. But Murray had to throw it off his back foot and it had too much air under it. The CB has a chance to break on the ball and it's game over.

Grading the last four plays:

1st down F (Frodholdt with an assist from Petzing)

2nd down C (meh)

3rd down F- (wtf - where is the two minute drill, call a timeout after the 2nd down catch if you have to get your poop together. I'm going to have to put this one on the manager of the offense, Murray).

4th down F (pass protection)

Wow. So, so bad.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Watching the last series again. Q4 offense was not very good but the situation was salvageable right up until the two minute warning.

We had it first and ten at the HOU 29 with two minutes left. Every chance in the world to win.

1st Down - Flat pass to Conner. Frodholt does not get any part of #48 Christian Harris and Conner is taken down for a 5 yard loss.

Defense read the play, but if Frodholt makes a decent block it probably picks up five or ten yards. Terrible execution and not sure about that play call.

2nd down - Pass to Swain for seven, which is fine, but he's tackled with 1:17 on the clock and the 3rd down play is not snapped until :39 40 seconds!

3rd down - total disaster - about ten things appeared to go wrong - Murray was still calling the play in the huddle until :57 Then at :51 Murray called for Moore to change sides into the slot and Dortch went all they way out wide? Then Murray says something to Conner (protection call?). Then the HOU player jumps. Murray maybe calls for the ball, but nothing happens? HOU shows and brings an all out Blitz. Conner blocks the blitzer coming from K1's left, and Murray throws to the right (to Brown). Brown runs a really weird route? Like he's not even running hard? But it doesn't matter because the blitzing safety/CB knocks the pass back into Murray's face. Complete disaster. The play took half the remaining game and had no chance. Not good.

4th down (1st try) - there appeared to be confusion about the initial play call and Murray has to call a timeout.

4th down (2nd try) - HOU rushes six. On the right side either Paris or McBride or T. Jones busted the protection and there's a free runner at Murray. Murray is hit hard as he throws. It actually looks like a decent ball, and Brown had a step on the defender. But Murray had to throw it off his back foot and it had too much air under it. The CB has a chance to break on the ball and it's game over.

2nd down C (meh)

3rd down F- (wtf - where is the two minute drill, call a timeout after the 2nd down catch if you have to get your poop together. I'm going to have to put this one on the manager of the offense, Murray).

Wow. So, so bad.
Not taking the points…F-. We should have been going for a fg and a win.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're right, I think we chased points because we didn't trust the defense. The way the first half was going it looked like we needed to score 40 just for a chance to win.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

The K1 rushing TD was on 4th down. 4th and goal from the one and half yard line I believe.

But the two two 4th down calls where Murray missed a wide open McBride, and then also hit Dortch but Dortch was short. I think both of those were in Prater's FG range. And then the two point conversion fail.

I don't know Slan. I mean we love the TD on 4th right? We love being aggressive, but the going for it on 4th and 3 and 4th and 5 in FG range seems to be a little different.

Might be a lesson learned for JG.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The K1 rushing TD was on 4th down. 4th and goal from the one and half yard line I believe.

But the two two 4th down calls where Murray missed a wide open McBride, and then also hit Dortch but Dortch was short. I think both of those were in Prater's FG range. And then the two point conversion fail.

I don't know Slan. I mean we love the TD on 4th right? We love being aggressive, but the going for it on 4th and 3 and 4th and 5 in FG range seems to be a little different.

I just hate the analytics of chasing points when it’s not needed at the time.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, I think we chased points because we didn't trust the defense. The way the first half was going it looked like we needed to score 40 just for a chance to win.
Need to trust the defense more. Even though we get gashed on runs and give up some big plays they amazingly keep the games very winnable (most weeks) if the offense would simply step up their game. Holding this explosive Texans offense to 21 points should have resulted in a Cardinals win, but we couldn't get it done and our coaches made horrible decisions not to kick a chip shot FG and to go for two too early. The defense handed us a game where we should have wrapped it up with an easy field goal.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

2nd down C (meh)

Wow. So, so bad.
Im still stunned they huddle after picking up 7 yards. Did you see how ready to go Denver was tonight? Why let the defense get set? It was such a momentum killer because huddling basically forces Kyler to check into the "right" play. So frustrating.
Need to trust the defense more. Even though we get gashed on runs and give up some big plays they amazingly keep the games very winnable (most weeks) if the offense would simply step up their game. Holding this explosive Texans offense to 21 points should have resulted in a Cardinals win, but we couldn't get it done and our coaches made horrible decisions not to kick a chip shot FG and to go for two too early. The defense handed us a game where we should have wrapped it up with an easy field goal.
Gannon coached like he expected to give up another TD. Kinda disappointing he just didnt take the points.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

The coaching staff trusted Kyler to hit an easy throw in a big moment. Maybe that’s the learning lesson.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The coaching staff trusted Kyler to hit an easy throw in a big moment. Maybe that’s the learning lesson.
Good coaching wouldn’t let it come to that imo. Coaches mistake take the freaking points it was to early to be chasing a TD when a FG would have made it a 1 score game. Plus how many times we see a ball hit a cards receiver right in the hands and they drop it, give me a break the coaches know they don’t have a great group of WRs and no real #1 should have took the FG.

Reactions: PJ1

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
my main complaint with that series was 3rd down. Kyler audibled twice and barely got the play off. No wonder it went horribly.

Gannon gets praised for not using time outs like Kliff but even I saw Kyler panicking and a timeout was needed to collect our heads.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Final two minutes series...... coaching and the team efforts pissed this game away... seen it coming. Lack of clock management. Get your shyt together!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really didn't like the play clock running all the way down on many plays. Gives me anxiety and brings back bad memories. Clock issues rearing its ugly head again and no KK around to blame.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why was Hernandez turning around to look at Kyler on so many plays? The other OL weren't doing this.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
That makes sense. I thought maybe he was asking Kyler if the white pants made his ass look big.
Hernandez looks back at Kyler. Kyler raises his leg to indicate he's ready. Hernandez looks forward either tapa center on the leg just reaches his arm out to tell center to snap the ball.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
my main complaint with that series was 3rd down. Kyler audibled twice and barely got the play off. No wonder it went horribly.

Gannon gets praised for not using time outs like Kliff but even I saw Kyler panicking and a timeout was needed to collect our heads.
Kyler has to learn. I have no issue with them seeing how he handled the pressure.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Im still stunned they huddle after picking up 7 yards. Did you see how ready to go Denver was tonight? Why let the defense get set? It was such a momentum killer because huddling basically forces Kyler to check into the "right" play. So frustrating.

Gannon coached like he expected to give up another TD. Kinda disappointing he just didnt take the points.
For the most part, NFL QBs call their own plays in two minutes. They have game planned it during the week, they know what they like, and they know what has worked in the game so far. Some of the Cardinals issues were because Kyler has been out and is still learning the system. Some of it is Kyler still learning how to be an NFL QB and execute in those situations.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Shockingly bad two-minute-offense on that 3rd down. I'd like some more info from the coaches and players about what happened.

And I think you're right. If two plays were not called (and/or ready) prior to the short 2nd down pass play to Swain, then a TO should have been called immediately after the 2nd down play.

Kinda looking like this might be more of an error by JG/DP than Murray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Shockingly bad two-minute-offense on that 3rd down. I'd like some more info from the coaches and players about what happened.

And I think you're right. If two plays were not called (and/or ready) prior to the short 2nd down pass play to Swain, then a TO should have been called immediately after the 2nd down play.

Kinda looking like this might be more of an error by JG/DP than Murray.
A veteran QB should know this regardless of the scheme. It is on the QB to know this. Time to take some of the kid gloves off Kyler.