The Suns FO is not that bad....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
their plan last off-season was a complete rebuild spending spree which would have made Dragic, Gordon and Beasely the cornerstones of the franchise moving forward... while drafting an awful PG with their lotto pick. That in of itself shows me the FO is a disaster.

Excellent argument Cheesebeef.

Luckily the Hornets saved the Suns from Eric Gordon.

Now the question I have, do the Suns have a FA target who is worth the money?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Dwight doesn't wanna resign with LAL cause he hates Kobe, the Suns may try getting him with their main (and only) selling point being that Aaron Nelson can help him.

Perhaps Igoudala will be looked at as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Dwight doesn't wanna resign with LAL cause he hates Kobe, the Suns may try getting him with their main (and only) selling point being that Aaron Nelson can help him.

Perhaps Igoudala will be looked at as well.

Dwight Howard is not coming to Phoenix and I'm not wanting the Suns to build around a 29 year old shooting guard.

I'm having trouble getting excited about anyone in FA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming things go as well as could reasonably be expected, we're not a year away, we're not two years away, we're not even three years away. There are no fairy tale fixes here. We need to get younger, stockpile assets and avoid throwing big money to anyone that's already well known. This FO, since deciding to part ways with Nash, has done nothing to jeopardize our future but it remains to be seen whether they can actually build a team.

Steve

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
This team cannot financially withstand 3 years of this. They are going to throw big money at someone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team cannot financially withstand 3 years of this. They are going to throw big money at someone.

Perhaps. But, this team wouldn't be looking at so many empty seats if we were losing with a roster loaded with players that appeared to be a few years away from stardom. It's the fact that we are bad with no hope on the horizon that has put the fan-base to sleep, IMO.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assuming things go as well as could reasonably be expected, we're not a year away, we're not two years away, we're not even three years away. There are no fairy tale fixes here. We need to get younger, stockpile assets and avoid throwing big money to anyone that's already well known. This FO, since deciding to part ways with Nash, has done nothing to jeopardize our future but it remains to be seen whether they can actually build a team.

Steve

I think if they handle the draft well and look to unload some players like Gortat for more young players or picks then while we would not be a year away from being good, we could be a much more fun and interesting team to watch as soon as next year.

What I dont want to see is the team to see is the team try and immediately address all their problems on quick fix solutions... like theyve been doing.

I can handle bad seasons if there is a plan, and I wouldnt mind being a middling team if they were a young group with room to grow. But right now we are the worst of both worlds, we're awful and with very little potential on the roster. We really need to buck that trend and blow this team up... along with dismissing the bumblers who assembled it.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Perhaps. But, this team wouldn't be looking at so many empty seats if we were losing with a roster loaded with players that appeared to be a few years away from stardom. It's the fact that we are bad with no hope on the horizon that has put the fan-base to sleep, IMO.

Steve
This is very true.

But this will all change after the draft. All of a sudden we will have rookie A and rookie B to look forward to. They will be the players that we can look forward to and hope are "few years away from stardom".

The present may not look great but after this summer, my guess is that we will be looking good and then after next year's draft we will be looking even better. Not saying we will be contenders or anything, but we will be building up.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This argument is pretty simple... look at this team.. it is devoid of talent and more importantly DIRECTION..

People on here say looking back it is easy to say hanging on to Nash/Hill was a bad descision, it was a horrible decision at the time too..

The drafting has been poor, the Morris pick does not deserve a positive nod in ANY universe.. Marshall has been horrid, you can claim incomplete on him, but as a lotto pick, it is horrid..

The Beasley/Frye/Warrick/Childress signings were all looked at as a joke at the time and an even bigger joke today..

They LUCKED out by getting a potential lottery pick for Nash, though that is looking more and more likely to actually be #28ish pick after all...

There best and really only chance at being relevant is if they get some kind of combination of Mclemore/Olidepo this year and PRAY for Andrew Wiggins next year...

As it stands now, there is no talent and no hope for the future.. it's as depressing as it comes..

That does not say good FO that screams futility..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This argument is pretty simple... look at this team.. it is devoid of talent and more importantly DIRECTION..

People on here say looking back it is easy to say hanging on to Nash/Hill was a bad descision, it was a horrible decision at the time too..

The drafting has been poor, the Morris pick does not deserve a positive nod in ANY universe.. Marshall has been horrid, you can claim incomplete on him, but as a lotto pick, it is horrid..

The Beasley/Frye/Warrick/Childress signings were all looked at as a joke at the time and an even bigger joke today..

They LUCKED out by getting a potential lottery pick for Nash, though that is looking more and more likely to actually be #28ish pick after all...

There best and really only chance at being relevant is if they get some kind of combination of Mclemore/Olidepo this year and PRAY for Andrew Wiggins next year...

As it stands now, there is no talent and no hope for the future.. it's as depressing as it comes..

That does not say good FO that screams futility..

There are lotto picks and then there are lotto picks. I really hate that label, it makes it sound like you had a great spot in the draft and blew it. Look through the last decade at all the middling players that come into the NBA as lotto picks, especially picks in the teens. I disliked the Marshall pick when it was made and I was uninspired by the Morris pick but most teams walked away with very little in those drafts.

Also, it's a bit of overkill to rip them for all the bad things and then dismiss the good thing as "luck". There's enough to be depressed about this franchise without stacking the deck.

Steve

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are lotto picks and then there are lotto picks. I really hate that label, it makes it sound like you had a great spot in the draft and blew it. Look through the last decade at all the middling players that come into the NBA as lotto picks, especially picks in the teens. I disliked the Marshall pick when it was made and I was uninspired by the Morris pick but most teams walked away with very little in those drafts.

Also, it's a bit of overkill to rip them for all the bad things and then dismiss the good thing as "luck". There's enough to be depressed about this franchise without stacking the deck.

Steve

So you are saying the Laker's pick that we got in the Nash trade, it would NOT be considered "luck" if they randomly missed the playoffs? I would considering that INCREDIBLY lucky..

And to say "most teams walked away with little talent" as a way to dismiss the suns swinging and missing a a joke as well.. Picks made directly after Makieff.. Marcus (disappointing, but we ended up with him after all), Kawii Lenard (great pick), Nikola Vucevic (great pick), Iman Shumpart (solid-good pick).. Those were the picks right behind us and all would have been infinitely better than Markeiff.. and that is not even mentioning others like Kenneth Faried or Chandler Parsons...

Detroit should not be given a pass in 2003 because most "lotto" picks don't work out, when there are 3-4 guys taken directly after you pick that are infinitely more successful than your pick, you screwed up..

As for the Marshall pick.. I attend the Las Vegas Summer league every year, been doing it since 2005 when there were about 100 people in the gym for a game... I knew in the Summer that Marshall pick was a bad call, I had given the Suns the benefit of the doubt until then, but it was clear he was not an NBA athlete and in over his head.. and that was in summer league competition...

If Marshal becomes a quality NBA starting PG I will eat my words, he will never be one.. he has an outside chance at being a rotation player, but picking #13 do you really want a player who's upside is a chance at being a rotation player off the bench?!

Even if you think there are very few usable players outside the top 10, we have seen plenty of examples of players that would have been better choices for the Suns..

Errntknght

Reaction score
Someone who didn't follow college basketball at all and had no scouts, but was willing to spend a few hours arriving at a pick would probably compute the value of players by averaging their positions in the final mock drafts - and select the best available value. That's sort of zero knowledge, minimal effort draft picking method... would you guys who follow this stuff say that the Suns have recently drafted better than this method would do?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Someone who didn't follow college basketball at all and had no scouts, but was willing to spend a few hours arriving at a pick would probably compute the value of players by averaging their positions in the final mock drafts - and select the best available value. That's sort of zero knowledge, minimal effort draft picking method... would you guys who follow this stuff say that the Suns have recently drafted better than this method would do?

No they've done worse. I screamed at my tv for both the Morris and Marshall picks.

The real scary part is that Lon Babby claims Blanks' strength is talent evaluation.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No they've done worse. I screamed at my tv for both the Morris and Marshall picks.

The real scary part is that Lon Babby claims Blanks' strength is talent evaluation.

Its a small thing, but I think it was Sarver who said that when he was being interviewed by Gambo after the Gentry firing. I wonder if Babby doesnt know better. It seems to me that Blanks was more Sarver's hire than Babby's.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Honestly, it looks to me like this is exactly the method they used. There seemed to be no special evaluation, no inside knowledge. They just drafted based upon the conventional wisdom of the draft boards out there. They didn't draft anyone surprisingly early at the time. They did just what everyone expected they would do.

They draft "safe" rather than swinging for the fences.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Its a small thing, but I think it was Sarver who said that when he was being interviewed by Gambo after the Gentry firing. I wonder if Babby doesnt know better. It seems to me that Blanks was more Sarver's hire than Babby's.

You're right it was Sarver, my mistake. I got their nasally drones confused.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
looking at each move itself they did not make that many bad moves indeed, probably not more than the average NBA front office..

My problem is with their overall plan of retooling instead of rebuilding. This team badly needs a young players to inspire the fan base and they have failed to address this for the last 4 years at least and 2 of those years are on Blabby.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
looking at each move itself they did not make that many bad moves indeed, probably not more than the average NBA front office..

My problem is with their overall plan of retooling instead of rebuilding. This team badly needs a young players to inspire the fan base and they have failed to address this for the last 4 years at least and 2 of those years are on Blabby.

They stuck with Amare too long. But if they had dealt him, they would have been criticized for that like they were over Joe Johnson.

They stuck with Nash too long. But if they had dealt him earlier, they would have been crucified by most of the fan base.

This is the cycle. Fans don't like it. Next September, everyone will be excited about the new blood in camp.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They stuck with Amare too long. But if they had dealt him, they would have been criticized for that like they were over Joe Johnson.

They stuck with Nash too long. But if they had dealt him earlier, they would have been crucified by most of the fan base.

This is the cycle. Fans don't like it. Next September, everyone will be excited about the new blood in camp.

people were excited this season. just depends if they whiff or not, everything always hindsight.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
people were excited this season. just depends if they whiff or not, everything always hindsight.

As a whole I dont think the fan base was excited for this season. From day one the attendance was pretty bad. IMO, it took a pretty optimistic fan to think this team was going to be either good or entertaining.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a whole I dont think the fan base was excited for this season. From day one the attendance was pretty bad. IMO, it took a pretty optimistic fan to think this team was going to be either good or entertaining.

Actually I found the team entertaining early in the season. I think Dragic and Gortat and others really believed they could come together and be better than anticipated. But, Beasley continued to play despite not warranting minutes and that never plays well with veterans. Once Dragic stopped playing with enthusiasm watching this team became more frustrating than anything else. But, you're right, this roster clearly did not excite the fan base at any time.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i can't think of one person I actually know outside of this message board who was excited about this season... or even cared that it was starting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't think of one person I actually know outside of this message board who was excited about this season... or even cared that it was starting.

I don't think there was anyone on this board that was truly excited about this team either. I love basketball and I really love the Suns so I was interested in watching the season but even I couldn't get excited by this roster. Since NBA League Pass first came out, this was by far the least interested I have been going into a season. And unfortunately, the reality of this team is even worse than the anticipated product.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't know anyone that follows the Suns ever. A couple of people know I do and they ask how they're doing a few times a year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard