A past draft “what if” (not Luka/Halliburton related)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In 2017 the Suns drafted Josh Jackson one spot ahead of De’Aaron Fox. They got the guy they wanted and felt good about it (to the point of McDonough bragging about trolling Boston). The rest is history but in honor of @Mainstreet who was banging the table for Fox in real time. What would’ve happened to the team’s arc had they taken the now elite PG?

Fox was bad as a rookie so they’re still in play for the #1 pick the next year. In year two he took a leap and averaged 17/7/4 on 46/37/72 splits in 81 games. By year three he was over 20 ppg and getting to the FT line nearly 7 times. Considering Book having been pretty loyal (to this point) and Fox would be extended how is this team looking right now? They’d have the best backcourt in the league, maybe Bridges/Ayton still plus all our assets. Other factors make it complicated but what’s your simple answer to this hypothetical?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In 2017 the Suns drafted Josh Jackson one spot ahead of De’Aaron Fox. They got the guy they wanted and felt good about it (to the point of McDonough bragging about trolling Boston). The rest is history but in honor of @Mainstreet who was banging the table for Fox in real time. What would’ve happened to the team’s arc had they taken the now elite PG?

Fox was bad as a rookie so they’re still in play for the #1 pick the next year. In year two he took a leap and averaged 17/7/4 on 46/37/72 splits in 81 games. By year three he was over 20 ppg and getting to the FT line nearly 7 times. Considering Book having been pretty loyal (to this point) and Fox would be extended how is this team looking right now? They’d have the best backcourt in the league, maybe Bridges/Ayton still plus all our assets. Other factors make it complicated but what’s your simple answer to this hypothetical?
I was never sold on Jackson, and was intrigued by Fox, but I don't think I was convinced enough to be pushing for Fox at 4, mainly because I don't follow the draft very carefully. I just remember that Fox was reputed to have a good head on his shoulders, which seems like an important quality for an NBA player, a point guard in particular.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to consider, if Ryan McDonough had drafted De’Aaron Fox, he might still be the Suns GM even with all his draft misses.

It's ironic, he reportedly wanted to trade for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in the 2018 draft. Had he learned his lesson?

Still, he was not good at handling player personnel issues, so that would have been limiting. See Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was never sold on Jackson, and was intrigued by Fox, but I don't think I was convinced enough to be pushing for Fox at 4, mainly because I don't follow the draft very carefully. I just remember that Fox was reputed to have a good head on his shoulders, which seems like an important quality for an NBA player, a point guard in particular.

I was low on Fox because I thought he was too young and raw to pair with Book. Maybe they could’ve gotten more for Bledsoe that off-season rather than trading him at the deadline for pennies.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Something to consider, if Ryan McDonough had drafted De’Aaron Fox, he might still be the Suns GM even with all his draft misses.

It's ironic, he reportedly wanted to trade for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in the 2018 draft. Had he learned his lesson?

Still, he was not good at handling player personnel issues, so that would have been limiting. See Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas.

And Earl Watson might still be coach. :/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Earl Watson might still be coach. :/

I don't think we were a De'Aaron Fox rookie season from avoiding a bottom 5 finish that year.

Lets say... we finish 4th, we get the 4th pick, still do the trade that lands us Bridges and draft JJJ #4... that is one helluva young roster.

But it would have been McD drafting so he probably takes Bamba instead and we're screwed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we were a De'Aaron Fox rookie season from avoiding a bottom 5 finish that year.

Lets say... we finish 4th, we get the 4th pick, still do the trade that lands us Bridges and draft JJJ #4... that is one helluva young roster.

But it would have been McD drafting so he probably takes Bamba instead and we're screwed.
lol... true.