Not Overreacting

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I'd love to find the specific games where our defense was super-strong outside a complete self-destruction by Dallas.
Maybe it was their incredible performance… on opening weeekend… against the 4th worst team in the league?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is worth to ask the question:

Does Bidwill let his front office and coaches decide Murray future in 2024?

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m cool with us using the WR house as the scapegoat for Kyler’s trash play this year, if only because they have done nothing to deserve otherwise. I’d also rather deal with Kyler for one more year if it meant us drafting MHJ. I don’t think we are lights out better with another qb under center.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Niners just gave up 29 with all that talent they have.
With their starting DTs resting to play against serious opponents and the second and third units playing most of the second half.

This isn't a serious argument that the offense was good yesterday.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With their starting DTs resting to play against serious opponents and the second and third units playing most of the second half.

This isn't a serious argument that the offense was good yesterday.
Where did I make the argument?

No serious defense wants to give up 29 points in any situation. The rest of your argument is nonsense. The Niners heavily rotate their front seven and play everyone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Where did I make the argument?

No serious defense wants to give up 29 points in any situation. The rest of your argument is nonsense. The Niners heavily rotate their front seven and play everyone.

Are you saying that the 49ers defense played bad yesterday? What conclusions would you like us to draw from your factual statement that the 49ers defense gave up 29 points yesterday?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Murray played a neat game Cardinals had a chance in this one to lose by 10 points or less.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Did they play well? They gave up over 200 yards rushing and 29 points.
Yeah, kinda.

Three sacks
Five fumbles forced
Two turnovers including a pick six

Game was effectively over with 13:18 remaining in the third quarter. I don't think they're going to lose a lot of sleep over a random explosive TD on a fourth-down run or a garbage time TD with less than a minute on the clock.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda.

Three sacks
Five fumbles forced

Game was effectively over with 13:18 remaining in the third quarter. I don't think they're going to lose a lot of sleep over a random explosive TD on a fourth-down run or a garbage time TD with less than a minute on the clock.
Quit bringing facts into a perfectly good argument K9.:sarcasm:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda.

Three sacks
Five fumbles forced

Pretty sure I posted the post-game thread in the 3rd quarter

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Cards current starting D is comprised of:

three DLs who were street FAs who basically make the league minimum

the two inside LBs make a $1mm a year, just a touch above the league minimum

the two OLBs are Denis Gardeck and Zaven Collins, with some BJ Ojulari thrown in

the starting CBs are a rookie UDFA (Starling Thomas), a rookie 3rd rounder coming off an ACL and a journeyman in Antonio Hamilton.

there is no defensive scheme or game plan that can consistently compensate for this.

i see posts that feel like the poster is surprised the defense is bad. I think we should be surprised when the D plays well for stretches

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
the Cards current starting D is comprised of:

three DLs who were street FAs who basically make the league minimum

the two inside LBs make a $1mm a year, just a touch above the league minimum

the two OLBs are Denis Gardeck and Zaven Collins, with some BJ Ojulari thrown in

the starting CBs are a rookie UDFA (Starling Thomas), a rookie 3rd rounder coming off an ACL and a journeyman in Antonio Hamilton.

there is no defensive scheme or game plan that can consistently compensate for this.

i see posts that feel like the poster is surprised the defense is bad. I think we should be surprised when the D plays well for stretches
No serious GM puts this lineup together with the hope of winning. It's not possible with the personnel.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is the reality of tanking in football. It sounds cool in April, but by December you realize why good football teams don't go into full-on tank mode aside from the "Suck for Luck" Colts.

It's different than basketball where 1 high draft pick instantly replaces 20% of your starting lineup with elite talent (hopefully). Even if we do get MHJ, there is only so much he can do. Look at the Lions with Calvin Johnson. This is just a bad football team with holes all over the roster and no identity. It is far too bad to be be saved by one player.

There is very little young talent outside of McBride, and our best offensive player is a smash mouth RB who will be 29 next year. We have a grind it out offense combined with a defense that can't stop anyone, which is a bizarre and seldom seen combination. We have a defensive head coach, but the defense is now giving up more ppg than the 2018 Steve Wilks team. At least last year we could just blame everything on Kliff. Now we are left with the sad realization that this is all we have.

I don't think that is overreacting. I think it's accepting reality, and the reality with this team is pretty bleak right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda.

Three sacks
Five fumbles forced
And 200 yards rushing. McBride got open at will too.

The game was over because the Cardinals made mistakes and they couldn't stop the Niners.

But overall, down to down, the Cardinals could move the ball effectively.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda.

Three sacks
Five fumbles forced

Eh.

Cardinals did not go to a 3rd down on the opening touchdown drive.

And, ARZ ran effectively against that defense for the entire 1st half. Numbers will back that up K9. SF was giving up like 70 a game on the ground, but we had 90 at the half.

But outside of the 1st drive, yes, they throttled our passing game (until garbage time).

Kind of a mixed bag defensively yesterday for SF.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the reality of tanking in football. It sounds cool in April, but by December you realize why good football teams don't go into full-on tank mode aside from the "Suck for Luck" Colts.

It's different than basketball where 1 high draft pick instantly replaces 20% of your starting lineup with elite talent (hopefully). Even if we do get MHJ, there is only so much he can do. Look at the Lions with Calvin Johnson. This is just a bad football team with holes all over the roster and no identity. It is far too bad to be be saved by one player.

There is very little young talent outside of McBride, and our best offensive player is a smash mouth RB who will be 29 next year. We have a grind it out offense combined with a defense that can't stop anyone, which is a bizarre and seldom seen combination. We have a defensive head coach, but the defense is now giving up more ppg than the 2018 Steve Wilks team. At least last year we could just blame everything on Kliff. Now we are left with the sad realization that this is all we have.

I don't think that is overreacting. I think it's accepting reality, and the reality with this team is pretty bleak right now.
The 49ers went through a rebuild/tank to get where they are at.

The Bengals went through a rebuild/tank to get where they are at.

It’s like you guys believe Monti had a 1 year limit to turn this around. I understand if were in year 3 of Monti, but we’re barely in year 1.

It’s so weird. It’s like you guys acknowledged this will be a bad team this year, but still get mad at the fact that it’s a bad team. It’s almost as if one predicted to go 2-15, but are still very upset the team didn’t go 10-7.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m fully convinced people would rather be the Steelers of the past 5 years. Or the Saints the past 3 years. Just wallowing in the middle & not being a real contender, but hey we had a winning record just to do enough. That’s cute I guess.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, I ask to please stop with the “a WR/MHJ won’t change this franchise overnight” yea….that would be understandable if we were only allowed to draft 1 player. There’s still another 1st round pic & many more picks after that.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The 49ers went through a rebuild/tank to get where they are at.

The Bengals went through a rebuild/tank to get where they are at.

It’s like you guys believe Monti had a 1 year limit to turn this around. I understand if were in year 3 of Monti, but we’re barely in year 1.

It’s so weird. It’s like you guys acknowledged this will be a bad team this year, but still get mad at the fact that it’s a bad team. It’s almost as if one predicted to go 2-15, but are still very upset the team didn’t go 10-7.

Both 49ers and Bengals scouting teams are better than Cards.

Bengals are financially about same as Bidwills. 49ers are superior.

Almost always they had great talent at certain spots during their rebuild years too.

This Cardinals team has no pro bowlers this year except may be McBride.

Not able to have any starer on the defense that is irreplaceable in 2024 shows the plan for 2023 has failed in some aspects.