The Latest On Tanking

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kyler is out for the first 4 games.

Then there are 4 games before the trade deadline.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s been years where I’ve believed we were going to be REALLY bad but I fear this is going to be the roughest season we’ve ever seen.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There’s been years where I’ve believed we were going to be REALLY bad but I fear this is going to be the roughest season we’ve ever seen.
The first five minutes of the Wilks era set the tone for that year, I hope it’s not that bad. Just look competent and stay in most games. For me it’s really about 2024 but don’t want to look like a train wreck in 2023

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first five minutes of the Wilks era set the tone for that year,
Yup. I went into that year believing catastrophe was on the way, still flew home for opening day and unfortunately knew my fears wouldn’t go unfounded after the first ten minutes. That was as lifeless a Cardinals team as I had ever seen.
I hope it’s not that bad. Just look competent and stay in most games. For me it’s really about 2024 but don’t want to look like a train wreck in 2023
Yeah… this whole felt like an abortion in the making the moment Kyler tore his ACL last year. Just put us in total limbo for what I fear will be multiple seasons.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After watching that flight plan video I am more convinced then ever the coaches want no part of tanking
You think they were going to say “Okay men, let’s make sure not go to 100%. Take it easy out there! Remember, our goal is to earn the #1 overall pick!”?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching that flight plan video I am more convinced then ever the coaches want no part of tanking
You think they were going to say “Okay men, let’s make sure not go to 100%. Take it easy out there! Remember, our goal is to earn the #1 overall pick!”?
Man… this board can be brutal.

Hilarious, but brutal.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nope, it doesn't at all. But rolling that over to next season will give us $75 million in cap space with 35 players under contract. We are slated to have about $55 million plus any roll over.

Could be more with a few in season trades.

Unless we unload Kyler, then all this cap space is just for that. Which means 2025 is the year.
2025 being "the year" makes me want to puke. The NFL isn't the place for long, slow, protracted rebuilds. It's literally built to allow for quick turnarounds. Granted that we were so godawful we would need an extra year, but being pleased with two suck seasons in a row is a hard pass from me. And it's a stupid plan.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just chiming in here to throw in my 2 cents.

Gannon isn't going to participate in any tanking. The dude is an animal. He intends to build a culture of winning, not half-assery. Sure, some of Monti's moves have been head scratchers. But letting McCoy go isn't a tanking step, despite the national media frenzy.

That is all. Carry on and add another 12 pages to this thread. :) .
Gannon doesn't have a choice unless he quits. Oh, he won't actively participate by coaching bad, but he signed on to a franchise tank season beyond that.

Also, letting McCoy go isn't a tanking step, but signing a never-was at the last second to start for you sure is. That, or gross incompetence.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s been six months but all I remember from free agency is a lot of just above replacement level guys signing stupid contracts.

Not sure who we could have added on defense without screwing up the cap even more going forward.

Javon Hargrove @ 21M a year?

Jamel Dean for 13?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the 49ers let two of their 10 best players go, and those players were both under 25, every person on this board would be happy and would see it as a benefit to the Cardinals.

In a vacuum, yes. But if the Niners sucked, and let two of their ten best under 25 year old players go, we'd shrug and say, man that team is really crapping the bed. Which is what everyone is saying about us. I see no need to re sign top ten players from a bottom 3 team. Eff it. Drop a bomb on it, start anew.

So yeah, if thats tanking, no problem. I just prefer my cup o suck to come with a cube of the sweet sweet it'll-all-better-next-year, dropped with a single cc of your finest hopium.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "competitive." It's extremely possible that seven or eight wins will be enough to make the playoffs in the NFC this year.

Based on the roster in March, moves could have been made to make this a team that could potentially win eight games. This front office chose not to make those moves.

poverty mindset. being the worst playoff team in a crap conference is so Keim-y it hurts. Blow it up. All of it.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the gap between Monti and Keim, Kliff and Gannon. If you feel we upgraded in terms of our GM, HC and schemes, it isn't a stretch to think they could do more with less.

Maybe holding onto Hopkins, adding a better LG, and another RB gets us a better offense for the 10 - 11 games Kyler plays.

Maybe retaining Murphy and Allen, as well as adding an impact DT and a veteran edge player gets you a middle of the pack defense instead of a bad Vance defense.

Sometimes I feel these threads make assumptions based upon the previous regime's results vs what a better regime should be able to do.

New regime felt so down on the pieces in place that this was the way forward? Just because youre better at it, doesnt mean you WANT to play with someone else's broken toys.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
you are correct

but the Cards could have done what the Texans have done: hire a single year caretaker coach that they could move on from after this year

heck -- that same coach -Lovie Smith -- was available

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one thing I would love to know:

what did Monti tell Mike during the interviews?

what did all the candidates tell Mike?

at the intro presser, Mike said that this can be a quick turnaround. Monti hedged on that and since that time not a single action taken suggests quick turnaround.

curious if all other GM candidates told him: this is a "long term" rebuild in the sense that the team gets worse before it gets better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's called delayed gratification. Keim should have done a deep rebuild after Arians, but he didn't.
Nothing is promised but today. This isn’t a Marshmallow Test situation where you’re guaranteed to get two marshmallows if you wait to eat one.

The only thing guaranteed right now is the cards force-feeding their fans intentionally bad football in 2023.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nothing is promised but today. This isn’t a Marshmallow Test situation where you’re guaranteed to get two marshmallows if you wait to eat one.

The only thing guaranteed right now is the cards force-feeding their fans intentionally bad football in 2023.
The Cardinals could have maybe, maybe been slightly competitive if they signed a few big free agents and ate into future cap space, but that was a longshot.

That would have been the Keim move.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals could have maybe, maybe been slightly competitive if they signed a few big free agents and ate into future cap space, but that was a longshot.

That would have been the Keim move.
So much this.