One Concern About Tanking

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I posted earlier that I don’t see the Cards getting penalized for tanking unless some Cards’ official says something. The last team to clearly tank IMO was the Dolphins. They did get penalized but not ostensibly for tanking. In February of 2022 the NFL “cleared” the Dolphins of tanking. Only 6 short months later the Dolphins were slammed with severe tampering penalties. Many of us felt the penalty was more severe because of the alleged tanking.
So now here’s Bidwill. He’s accused of ignoring NFL communications restrictions. He’s also accused of mistreating employees. So when the Cards get to the 2024 draft, let’s hope all the acquired picks are still intact.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I posted earlier that I don’t see the Cards getting penalized for tanking unless some Cards’ official says something. The last team to clearly tank IMO was the Dolphins. They did get penalized but not ostensibly for tanking. In February of 2022 the NFL “cleared” the Dolphins of tanking. Only 6 short months later the Dolphins were slammed with severe tampering penalties. Many of us felt the penalty was more severe because of the alleged tanking.
So now here’s Bidwill. He’s accused of ignoring NFL communications restrictions. He’s also accused of mistreating employees. So when the Cards get to the 2024 draft, let’s hope all the acquired picks are still intact.
Different circumstances entirely.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO there is nothing that they have done so far that the league could definitively take as deliberately tanking. They can't take picks or fine for malfeasance or there would be a few teams, including the Cardinals, that would annually lose picks and get fined. Absent an accusation a la Brian Flores against Mr. Bidwill and some concrete evidence it won't happen, again IMO.
Now, in reality, the tank is on, again IMO. It is kind of an enforced tank job due to Mr. Keim, but they are definitely taking their lumps this upcoming season and setting their sights on 2024, at least that's how it appears.
So far, I think the new regime has shown to be pretty meh in their approach, but time will tell.