The Coach We Need

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What this team desperately needs to hire is an assistant head coach who will be able to help KK manage the team and keep SK and MB from trying to over insert themselves because the void in leadership and management. This doesn't seem like MB's style but after the Wilks debacle and the inexperience of KK I could see an added temptation to provide more involved oversight.

There needs to be good chemistry between the GM and head coach but also a healthy tension so push back happens when needed between the two parties when it comes to the on-field product. This relationship sets up for problems without an experienced voice who can push back on management when needed to create the required separation between church and state.

Who could we open the check book for that could provide that but at the same time not have an agenda to be a head coach that could undermine or threaten KK? BA had guys like Tom Moore to bounce things off but not threaten. Bum Philips provides non-threatening wisdom to McVay as a coordinator, but we don’t even need this guy to be a coordinator. Infact a coordinator like Joseph likely still has aspirations to be a head coach so that is not a guy you want in high level meetings with MBSK. Last thing this experiment needs is politicking to undermine things.

Could Kubiak, or Caldwell provide this? Might be too many offensive cooks in the kitchen with KK, Kubiak and DeFillipo. Any other ideas?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What this team desperately needs to hire is an assistant head coach who will be able to help KK manage the team and keep SK and MB from trying to over insert themselves because the void in leadership and management. This doesn't seem like MB's style but after the Wilks debacle and the inexperience of KK I could see an added temptation to provide more involved oversight.

There needs to be good chemistry between the GM and head coach but also a healthy tension so push back happens when needed between the two parties when it comes to the on-field product. This relationship sets up for problems without an experienced voice who can push back on management when needed to create the required separation between church and state.

Who could we open the check book for that could provide that but at the same time not have an agenda to be a head coach that could undermine or threaten KK? BA had guys like Tom Moore to bounce things off but not threaten. Bum Philips provides non-threatening wisdom to McVay as a coordinator, but we don’t even need this guy to be a coordinator. Infact a coordinator like Joseph likely still has aspirations to be a head coach so that is not a guy you want in high level meetings with MBSK. Last thing this experiment needs is politicking to undermine things.

Could Kubiak, or Caldwell provide this? Might be too many offensive cooks in the kitchen with KK, Kubiak and DeFillipo. Any other ideas?
vance joseph

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Mike McCoy?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't see a need to add too much more here in terms of oversight. I think it becomes muddled when too many people with conflicting visions are around. Kubiak and Moore are very special exceptions - in Kubiak's case, he's tied very closely to that franchise and GM John Elway. In Moore's case, he just wasn't going to be able to take on coaching but definitely had an existing relationship with Arians.

Given that Kingsbury doesn't have much NFL experience, I can't see anyone coming in that really is going to serve as anything more than a roadblock to getting things done KK's way. We should let Joseph have a voice in helping to talk about how an NFL organization is run from the top down, but I wouldn't do much more here.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't see a need to add too much more here in terms of oversight. I think it becomes muddled when too many people with conflicting visions are around. Kubiak and Moore are very special exceptions - in Kubiak's case, he's tied very closely to that franchise and GM John Elway. In Moore's case, he just wasn't going to be able to take on coaching but definitely had an existing relationship with Arians.

Given that Kingsbury doesn't have much NFL experience, I can't see anyone coming in that really is going to serve as anything more than a roadblock to getting things done KK's way. We should let Joseph have a voice in helping to talk about how an NFL organization is run from the top down, but I wouldn't do much more here.
I agree. Plus,..I think K2 is man enough to push back on his own while being smart enough to know which boundaries not to cross.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
That’s a good role for Caldwell. Flores will need all the help he can get.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like another layer of babysitting the H C. Don't like the idea. I believe that Wade Phillips worked well in L A since he does not seem to have any inclinations to be a H C once again. The FB Czar position doesn't seemed to have worked out so well In Jax. Tom Coughlin's influence over Moreau could result in T C becoming the H C.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are we so enamored with K2's supposed lack of experience? The guy was a HC for 6 years at a D1 college. He's coached the likes of many very good QB's that are now in the NFL. Stop babysitting the guy & let him change the course of this franchise.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are we so enamored with K2's supposed lack of experience? The guy was a HC for 6 years at a D1 college. He's coached the likes of many very good QB's that are now in the NFL. Stop babysitting the guy & let him change the course of this franchise.

Ships with broken rudders change direction too.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

It's simple. Being a head coach for a bunch of unpaid players that aren't in it as a business is a completely different beast than adults trying to put food in their family's mouths.

Not only that, but talent level. KK had Mahomes, likely this year's MVP, playing against kids who are now selling insurance or something. Yet he still couldn't muster a winning record. And a storied NFL head coach has his version of Mahomes on the cusp of the Super Bowl in his first season.

Not only that, but KK is going to be implementing an offense that has never really been tried in full in the NFL.

There's a lot of hurdles here.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
This. Pundits acting like KK is a fish out of water are so wrong. His HC experience, even at D1 college level, is very valuable. Some of the HC hirings in recent years have been DC/OC for just a year or two. Wilks is the perfect example. While he had experience and knowledge of the NFL, he had no clue of how to be a HC.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

When one factors in recruiting and donor glad handing and the banquet circuit, and alum, etc. , it is possible the college level HC has it tougher. College coaches are less protected from outside interference in many cases. Most old school NFL HC s have operated in a bubble. Giving a coach responsibility but denying authority is a recipe for failure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kubiak is going to Minny in a role similar to Caldwell in Miami.

Yup just saw that. I know some disagree but If BA who was around the NFL for decades needed that support, then KK who hasn't even sniffed the NFL as a coach certainly does. I agree though that the wrong guy and wrong chemistry would do more damage than good. Just don't want SK providing that wisdom and input or this will definitely fail. Need some checks and balances.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kubiak is going to Minny in a role similar to Caldwell in Miami.
Minnesota might be panicking with Kirk Cousins situation.

According to Schefter, Kubiak’s son, Klint Kubiak, is expected to become the Vikings’ quarterbacks coach.

It is unclear what Gary Kubiak’s role will be with the Vikings because current offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski will remain in his role.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's not like he hasn't coached before as the head man in charge, I agree with you pacardsfan. He just needed an attacking defensive coordinator that will run the 34 & surround him with good position coaches, plus good free agent signings & a good draft. Everything is unknown at this point but I'm optimistic about the new head coach considering what we had to go through with Steve Wilks. Nowhere to go but up imo.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMhumbleO - I don't want any NFL good 'ole boys at this point. I embrace the "movement" of where the league is heading. Give me cutting edge new talent!!!

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
It's simple. Being a head coach for a bunch of unpaid players that aren't in it as a business is a completely different beast than adults trying to put food in their family's mouths.

Not only that, but talent level. KK had Mahomes, likely this year's MVP, playing against kids who are now selling insurance or something. Yet he still couldn't muster a winning record. And a storied NFL head coach has his version of Mahomes on the cusp of the Super Bowl in his first season.

Not only that, but KK is going to be implementing an offense that has never really been tried in full in the NFL.

There's a lot of hurdles here.

He had Mahomes and nothing else. The defense was the biggest dumpster fire of all-time. Recruiting on the defensive side of the ball was a huge weakness for Kliff. That is a non-issue in the NFL. It’s up to the GM to put together a roster of good defensive players.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They are already surrounding him with tons of NFL experience on this staff...Joseph, Kugler, Saxon, Robertson, Rodgers--all have been around the NFL a long time. The guys they are interviewing for OC all reflect the same philosophy, Kingsbury is going to have support within his coaching staff no doubt and can lean on the experience that is there. I don't think he needs another extra staff member to serve as a mentor or buffer.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It seems like the league in general is fatigued with the whole coaching carousel, same good 'ol boys trading jobs.
Six of the eight head coaches hired have never been an HC before in the NFL. Only Gase and Arians.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone realizes that the "Air Raid" was a simplified version of Don Coryell's offense right? LaVell Edwards simplified it so college players with less athletic ability could compete with top programs. Hal Mumme and Mike Leach took it to its extreme (layering specifics like shotgun, wide OL splits, blocking schemes, no huddle, tempo, etc)...

But at its heart, the Air Raid is a pro offense. The Air Raid concepts (from the Air Raid as well as Don Coryell's) are used in the NFL right now. If you watched the Chiefs game, the first couple of series, they marched down the field using "Y Stick" which most NFL teams have a variation in their play book.

Additionally, EVERY team has some version of the "Mesh"...

CK2 needs coaches who will help integrate his philosophy and version of the Air Raid and we need to players who can execute the concepts...because they are concepts.

Using the Y Stick as an example, the Y receiver has to stem and sit down his route where the defense let's him, that gives the vertical receiver room to clear the over the top help and make the guy in the area of the Y make a decision between the Y and the back (or TE or whoever in this version) who is circled out of the back field and now is running an out in the flat.

Most of the time the defenders hedges his bets and tries to defend both by splitting the difference and the Y gets the ball.

I have no doubt these concepts will work, but we need the right players.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This. Pundits acting like KK is a fish out of water are so wrong. His HC experience, even at D1 college level, is very valuable. Some of the HC hirings in recent years have been DC/OC for just a year or two. Wilks is the perfect example. While he had experience and knowledge of the NFL, he had no clue of how to be a HC.

To be a successful HC I think you need to be able to delegate with trust while still providing oversight. You need to allow your coaches freedom to do their job without getting in the way and trust that they can do it well. You also need to monitor how they are doing and if you have a reason to involve yourself then you need to be able to do it without upsetting the apple cart. You need to have an understanding with your staff that ultimately if push comes to shove you have final say. You need to listen to them and be open to ideas and change. Most of all you need to support them when they have problems with players or other coaches. I think that is why Belichick is so successful in NE. He has a knack for keeping a finger on the pulse while keeping his hands off for the most part while providing input when he feels it's needed. He empowers his coaches and yet maintains a involvement that doesn't feel like micromanaging.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson