Suns @ Pistons Friday game thread 1-8-2021

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns bench played well tonight. It's one of those nights where they deserved more playing time.

Payne and Dario didn’t play too well. Cam Johnson was ok. Galloway couldn’t find the touch in the 2nd half. The primary reason we lost this game was we inexplicably missed our first 6 free throws, and we missed a bevy of looks we ordinarily make (even made in the 1st half tonight!).

This game feels quite similar to me to the first Kings game. We played better in that than the Dallas game, and we played better in this one than the Toronto game. Just shot muchhhhhh worse in the losses. It happpppens.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Meh. Sucks for the loss considering this was still a winnable game. But it’s early in the season and they’ve proved a couple times now that they can come back from bad efforts. They’ll need to against the Pacers.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even though he didn’t score, I really like Carter out there in weird games where we are a little “off”. He should have played for Paul and/or Book some down the stretch.

Like, Mikal cannot play worse and we were tied in regulation.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With a 23-point lead, this was the Suns game to lose. And they did, in overtime.

All of the starters were a minus and all of the bench were a plus.

We have to win this type of game.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I disagree. Mediocre teams need to win this type of game. The Suns of last year need to win this type of game. This year’s team can beat anyone anywhere anytime.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I disagree. Mediocre teams need to win this type of game. The Suns of last year need to win this type of game. This year’s team can beat anyone anywhere anytime.

Right now, this team looks like it IS the Suns of last year...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne and Dario didn’t play too well. Cam Johnson was ok. Galloway couldn’t find the touch in the 2nd half. The primary reason we lost this game was we inexplicably missed our first 6 free throws, and we missed a bevy of looks we ordinarily make (even made in the 1st half tonight!).

This game feels quite similar to me to the first Kings game. We played better in that than the Dallas game, and we played better in this one than the Toronto game. Just shot muchhhhhh worse in the losses. It happpppens.

Perhaps made free throws could have made the difference but the Pistons took the ball inside and the Suns couldn't stop it.

The Pistons were 25-29 from the free throw line.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s called being good enough to blow a couple games like this. Like how we beat Milwaukee the last couple years. They didn’t sweat it.

thats fine. I just don’t really care. I think it stems from the fact that I don’t really LOVE any one on this team. There’s no one who wows me with athleticism, flare, guttiness (nash had both last two) or this incredible personality. And they don’t really run so they’re not a blast to watch like say the 89-1992 Suns. And they have a player in Ayton, that, let’s face it... I just loathe and he’s one of the most important players on the team.

that’s NOT to say they’re not good. They are. I’m just not all that emotionally invested like I still am with football.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Perhaps made free throws could have made the difference but the Pistons took the ball inside and the Suns couldn't stop it.

The Pistons were 25-29 from the free throw line.

They shot 26/56 from 2. That’s uh...bad.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
thats fine. I just don’t really care. I think it stems from the fact that I don’t really LOVE any one on this team. There’s no one who wows me with athleticism, flare, guttiness (nash had both last two) or this incredible personality. And they don’t really run so they’re not a blast to watch like say the 89-1992 Suns. And they have a player in Ayton, that, let’s face it... I just loathe and he’s one of the most important players on the team.

that’s NOT to say they’re not good. They are. I’m just not all that emotionally invested like I still am with football.

perhaps the difference is that this squad hasn’t had a playoff experience yet. folks seemed pretty jazzed for the bubble run which was playoffs verrrrry lite.

I expect if the team starts winning playoff series the enthusiasm will follow.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
perhaps the difference is that this squad hasn’t had a playoff experience yet. folks seemed pretty jazzed for the bubble run which was playoffs verrrrry lite.

I expect if the team starts winning playoff series the enthusiasm will follow.

this might be part of it. As good as Booker has been, outside of one shot in the bubble during the beginning of a Hail Mary run, he doesn’t have those SUPER DRAMATIC performances over time that make you really love/trust him down the stretch.

and he’s kinda stunk this year compared to the previous two years.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Griffin was 5-6 from the free throw line, Grant was 8-11 and Plumlee was 8-8.

Plumlee shot putting those 8 was a killer too. Every one should have missed if God exists. 56% career shooter flatters him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

This year that’s pretty sad.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Man, what a stinker. It's games like this that you wish Ayton had a more polished offensive game. He had the lane on plenty of opportunities and just couldn't convert with any consistency. The pick and roll with CP3 isn't clicking yet and they need it when the 3 isn't falling.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That’s a fair criticism. They need to get a lot more touches for Ayton near/at the rim. He’s a really good passer from there, too.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
That’s a fair criticism. They need to get a lot more touches for Ayton near/at the rim. He’s a really good passer from there, too.
He is, but everyone was ice cold so i'd rather he just take it hard at the rim every time. There was one play where he flashed to the middle of the paint, got the ball while the defense was scrambling back and he didn't even look to the rim. He was looking for an open man, when he could have had an easy 6ft hook or better. That's frustrating (and yes, I recognize i'm starting to beat a dead horse on this one).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need to work on figuring out defenses especially zone defenses.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They chewed up the Sac zone because they moved the ball and attacked in this game they just got lazy and stayed chucking 3s

EJ was in the call going crazy saying take the ball to the hole and pointing out how it was open all day to drive but they settled for 3s

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard