Suns @ Rockets Friday game thread 2-23-2024

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was one of the worst games I can remember from Booker. I give a lot of credit to Thompson and the overall length and athleticism of the Rockets.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some final stats.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I know we’re all fans of the team and root for them, but does anyone here actually LIKE this Suns team this year?
The team has the potential to be very likable IMO. There are some potential good stories but they are making it very hard.

It starts with Vogel IMO. You know your coach sucks or not in tight games. It comes down to X’s and O’s in those games. Vogel is playing checkers against other coaches playing chess.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are going to be a lot of games like this with Vogel coaching.

Well, there have already been lot, but unless the Suns are somehow firing on all cylinders every night... meaning, nobody out of the lineup and everybody shooting lights out... they will routinely be getting outplayed and outcoached.

Unlike many of the contenders, the Suns simply don't have the personnel or competent coaching to overcome anything less than an outstanding team performance on most nights.

We may never find out how good the Suns are with Vogel coaching.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Suns find a backup center and he has been sitting on the bench the whole time.
I guarantee Bol will be back to being totally ignored by Vogel within the week, if not by the next game even... like his performance tonight never even happened.

And that's solely because everyone will ask Vogel in the presser why Bol hasn't been playing more, and that will offend Vogel's ego. So he will use any excuse to bury Bol again as soon as he can possibly justify it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guarantee Bol will be back to being totally ignored by Vogel within the week, if not by the next game even... like his performance tonight never even happened.

And that's solely because everyone will ask Vogel in the presser why Bol hasn't been playing more, and that will offend Vogel's ego. So he will use any excuse to bury Bol again as soon as he can possibly justify it.
If Bol Bol hasn’t played himself into the regular rotation it’s another indictment of Vogel. Having said that? I am not sure Vogel can use him in a rotation properly regardless.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is my expectation as well. Vogel will ignore the option staring him right in the face.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
It's a dilemma for Vogel as he has to integrate new guys. And ONeale disappearing on offense the past 2 games only makes his job worse. Young came back much better in the 2nd half. If not for Bol's explosion, the game was lost after the 3rd qrt. Houston has tons of athletic long defenders making life hard for Booker and KD isos. Aside from Vanfleet and for a short stretch Whitmore, they had no player who can create. Yet we gave VF too much room for too long.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
I think we know why LeBron was over Vogel even after the chip - he's predictable - doesn't play the hot hand and honestly hasn't brought any defense - I'm starting to think he was just blessed with defensive talent
For offense we supposedly have genious AC in KY. If Vogel can find sufficiently good def. schemes to hide Nurk, Allen and Bol's weakness when facing the best teams, if he can find off. schemes to hide JO and RO's weakness, we contend for title.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So, I know we’re all fans of the team and root for them, but does anyone here actually LIKE this Suns team this year?
On paper I LIKE this team. We have some very good players. Allen is the top three point shooter right now. Book and KD are two of the top NBA players period. A listing of players rankings have Book at number eleven and KD in the top 5 I believe. Gordon is a top off the bench guy. Bol Bol keeps amazing me. Nurkic is decent. Royce adds to our depth nicely. Beal is really good when on the court.

On the court, this team seems like they are WAY underperforming for the skills the players do have. Dallas seemed to use their top two guys way better than we set up our guys. I just don't think our coaches have put much imagination in how to utilize the players we have as well as other teams do with theirs. Tonight I thought Udooka out coached Vogel.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
For offense we supposedly have genious AC in KY. If Vogel can find sufficiently good def. schemes to hide Nurk, Allen and Bol's weakness when facing the best teams, if he can find off. schemes to hide JO and RO's weakness, we contend for title.
I have ZERO confidence in KY's offense. That's where I think we really don't utilize our talent. We went for scorers on this squad, and we should be scoring over 120 every night in my opinion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Taking a step back, I will say that losing Nurk and Beal both in this game is a massive loss. However, you still had Book and KD. If just one of those guys isn't having a great game it just goes to show this bench still has ZERO margin of error.
Bol Bol brought the bench points tonight.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score

This sounds like deja vu.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lol. I was just thinking tonight that for a team full of guys I like individually I sure find this team impossible to like.

This is like one of the only teams where the sum of the parts is LESS than they are individually.

Nice game by bol. That’s literally the only thing I can say about tonight. Well, that and the fact that KD and book have become so unclutch it’s embarrassing.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Beginning of the year.. yes..

At this moment.. no..

I know most will disagree with that I am going to say. I am not trying to argue but it's what I feel in my heart. I do hope I am wrong when I say this and the ones that don't agree with me are right.

I see this team getting bounce in the first round. I honestly feel this team should be blown up at the end of the year and we try to get back what we can. If we bring everyone back I feel like we will be in the same boat again. It just not working and I don't think it's a chemistry thing.

I think our WCF championship team a couple of years ago would beat our current roster. I was on board with all the moves that were made to get KD and Beal but I feel like it is not working and will admit I was on that train. At this moment all the moves we made was a mistake and we have to deal with it. I know Beal and Nurk were out but if we can't beat the Rockets without them then maybe we aren’t as good as we thought. If we have one star go down and we turn into a train wreck then we aren’t good.

I do hope I am wrong. I will always root for this team no matter what. I get frustrated at times but my enjoyment is coming on the boards to celebrate the small wins with you guys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh we didn’t have two starters. And we’ve seen how important beal is to our winning. We are going to keep jumping on and off the bandwagon as that dude can’t stay healthy. Is what it is.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Beginning of the year.. yes..

At this moment.. no..

I know most will disagree with that I am going to say. I am not trying to argue but it's what I feel in my heart. I do hope I am wrong when I say this and the ones that don't agree with me are right.

I see this team getting bounce in the first round. I honestly feel this team should be blown up at the end of the year and we try to get back what we can. If we bring everyone back I feel like we will be in the same boat again. It just not working and I don't think it's a chemistry thing.

I think our WCF championship team a couple of years ago would beat our current roster. I was on board with all the moves that were made to get KD and Beal but I feel like it is not working and will admit I was on that train. At this moment all the moves we made was a mistake and we have to deal with it. I know Beal and Nurk were out but if we can't beat the Rockets without them then maybe we aren’t as good as we thought. If we have one star go down and we turn into a train wreck then we aren’t good.

I do hope I am wrong. I will always root for this team no matter what. I get frustrated at times but my enjoyment is coming on the boards to celebrate the small wins with you guys.
At this rate, we’ll be lucky to make the play-in. Didn’t bother watching the last 2 games. The effort has been piss poor all season. If the players don’t care why should we as fans? Lol. This team is going nowhere as presently constructed. Vogel sure as heck ain’t the answer.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
We have the best 3 point shooter and don’t set up plays for him
we have Bol and don’t give him massive minutes or use him for pick and rolls.
we have superstars who can’t hit 3s
we have useless Eubanks and bricklayer Gordon who cannot play defense
we have a useless coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson