Suns @ Thunder Friday game thread 3-29-2024

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a week ago I told all of you that we would go 1-1 when playing the Nuggets and Thunder this week, you'd all be ecstatic.
I don't disagree but that lacks complete context of where they are in the standings, who they keep losing against, and the expectations of this team. The Suns set the expectations. Not the fans.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If a week ago I told all of you that we would go 1-1 when playing the Nuggets and Thunder this week, you'd all be ecstatic.

Winning 1 of 2 shouldn't make anyone ecstatic. Thanks to that Spurs loss we need every win we can get and choked against OKC when they didn't have their best player. The game was basically over shortly after the half.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't disagree but that lacks complete context of where they are in the standings, who they keep losing against, and the expectations of this team. The Suns set the expectations. Not the fans.
A week ago we had just lost to the Spurs. I think the context is appropriate. Or do you forget the multitude of posts from people that thought we weren't going to win another game at all?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Winning 1 of 2 shouldn't make anyone ecstatic. Thanks to that Spurs loss we need every win we can get and choked against OKC when they didn't have their best player. The game was basically over shortly after the half.
Who's "ecstatic ?" Changing te narrative again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A week ago we had just lost to the Spurs. I think the context is appropriate. Or do you forget the multitude of posts from people that thought we weren't going to win another game at all?
There were some extreme posts about not winning another game but that was hardly the majority of the board.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
It's the exact same make up on the Mercury. Big plodding center, who they never iso on the low post, so WTF? An aged sharpshooter that has lost a step. Then they go get players that are highly skilled, but not athletic. Same formula as the Suns. Now though, at least the Mercury have seemed to figure it out and are bringing in more athletic players. I watch both teams and it's been the same poo, can't beat the double teams, let alone take advantage of it, and are too slow driving the ball that other teams can recover when they do drive off the three point line.

Bradley Beal is proving this lack of athleticism. Since he began sacrificing his offensive play to play smothering D, we have won some games. That proves what you guys are saying, we need more athletic guys that can trap, and recover, play the passing lanes, play more physical. Grayson Allen is surprisingly more physical than I thought he would be. Royce One and Thad young have been good pick ups. The problem is they lack the speed, strength AND length other teams like the Pelicans are dishing out to us. We had no one that could match the lay up line the Pels pulled on us last night. KD as old as he is, was the only guy to manage some blocks and slow them down at all.
Actually, Okogie, Saben, Roddy, Little are all young and athletic, capable of playing good to great defense. They just cannot shoot like OKC's young guys. KD, Beal, RO, Young are old but very good defenders. Allen and Gordon are decent. Booker and Bol are the weakest links on D. It's coach'es job to balance it adjusting to the game at hand. Vogel is not doing a good job there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not changing any narrative. You literally said....

So tell me how I'm changing the narrative?
You're right, I'm an idiot. (not sarcasm)

That said, I still think you are changing the narrative. Getting 1 out of 2 vs the Nuggets and the Thunder would have been a very happy outcome in those hours after we lost to the Spurs. Not acknowledging that is recency bias.

We still suck and we still are going to be an early out in the playoffs, but that is besides the point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right, I'm an idiot. (not sarcasm)

That said, I still think you are changing the narrative. Getting 1 out of 2 vs the Nuggets and the Thunder would have been a very happy outcome in those hours after we lost to the Spurs. Not acknowledging that is recency bias.

We still suck and we still are going to be an early out in the playoffs, but that is besides the point.

Appreciate you acknowledging your mistake. It's all good.

Personally, knowing we played Denver without Jamal Murray and OKC without SGA, I'm not surprised we won 1 of those games. The only time this team has looked good outside of the Kings comeback months ago is when a team is missing a key player. We really pissed away a golden opportunity to be fighting for the 4th or 5th seed by losing against lesser opponents. With those teams missing players, we should be the favorite based on talent alone.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Appreciate you acknowledging your mistake. It's all good.

Personally, knowing we played Denver without Jamal Murray and OKC without SGA, I'm not surprised we won 1 of those games. The only time this team has looked good outside of the Kings comeback months ago is when a team is missing a key player. We really pissed away a golden opportunity to be fighting for the 4th or 5th seed by losing against lesser opponents. With those teams missing players, we should be the favorite based on talent alone.
You aren't? I mean, I think we match up well with Denver, but we lost to SA without Wemby. I would say that very few people after that loss were expecting to win 1 of those 2 games. But then again, more power to you. The win we got was impressive but the loss against OKC was incredibly bad, much worse than any amount of good that was taken from the Denver game.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Just dawned on me my Dad died never seeing this team win a Championship. Me next. My two boys I suckered into being Suns fans. Wow! Hopefully, in Ishbia we trust...
Yeah, my dad either. And he was born in Illinois and grew up a Cubs fan (but later became a DBacks fan and did witness their championship) and he just missed the Cubs Championship.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my dad either. And he was born in Illinois and grew up a Cubs fan (but later became a DBacks fan and did witness their championship) and he just missed the Cubs Championship.
Make that 3 of us. My dad passed a few years ago and hoped he would see it too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You aren't? I mean, I think we match up well with Denver, but we lost to SA without Wemby. I would say that very few people after that loss were expecting to win 1 of those 2 games. But then again, more power to you. The win we got was impressive but the loss against OKC was incredibly bad, much worse than any amount of good that was taken from the Denver game.
We were built to beat Denver. That we lose to more aggressive defensive teams seems to be our kryptonite now.