Suns@Kings

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people give you a lot of heat for your posts but I agree. Can Frye shoot? Hell yes. Is he afraid to shoot? Hell yes. The guy has choked before and he continues to be afraid to shoot in games that are no where close to pressurized and miss badly. I've seen Frye shoot the Suns out of many games as well. It's amazing how many times we see the guy wide freaking open and he fakes and passes it off (OMFG SMH)... I know most of you will not agree with this but I'm just saying what I'm seeing on the court. When Frye shoots the Suns win which means he does mean a lot to the team when he is on. He spreads the defense. Nowadays, his impact offensively on defensive positioning of the opponent is very little since he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shooting.

The irony in it all was that it was proven time and time again that when JRich shot well the Suns seemed to win. Win he didn't we sputtered. When we traded him, the Suns needed someone to step up. Frye was suppose to be one of those guys and it has not happened.

So, your next hope is that Frye contributes on the other end. He has not. His defensive PER against opposing players is horrible at 21.3 PER at the PF and 22.2 PER while playing center. I think it's safe to say Frye has not showed up this year. Hakim has a much better defensive PER against opposing PF (16.4). That says something about how bad Frye is playing on the other end.

If Frye is not shooting well there is zero reason to have him on the court IMO. As much as I hate to have Hakim in the starting lineup...I think he is our one "true" PF option.

I think I have revised my starting lineup I would like to see.

Nash
Carter
Hill/Pietrus (alternating - no back to backs for Hill)
Hakim
Gortat

Bench
Dragic
Pietrus/Dudley/Childress
Dudley/Pietrus/Childress (Hill if on a back to back)
Frye
Lopez

Not that I think that will make a huge difference but we have to try something.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The irony in it all was that it was proven time and time again that when JRich shot well the Suns seemed to win. Win he didn't we sputtered. When we traded him, the Suns needed someone to step up. Frye was suppose to be one of those guys and it has not happened.

So, your next hope is that Frye contributes on the other end. He has not. His defensive PER against opposing players is horrible at 21.3 PER at the PF and 22.2 PER while playing center. I think it's safe to say Frye has not showed up this year. Hakim has a much better defensive PER against opposing PF (16.4). That says something about how bad Frye is playing on the other end.

If Frye is not shooting well there is zero reason to have him on the court IMO. As much as I hate to have Hakim in the starting lineup...I think he is our one "true" PF option.

Nash
Carter
Hill/Dudley (alternating - no back to backs for Hill)
Hakim
Gortat

Bench
Dragic
Pietrus/Dudley/Childress
Frye
Lopez

Great post.

I know I'm in the minority, but after seeing Vinsanity for a few games, it looks like he could potentially equal what JRich gave us on a consistent basis. He's got a beautiful jumpshot when it's falling, and he's not afraid to mix it up inside--he appears to be bigger than JRich, so maybe he can give a better contribution there.

Don't get me wrong, I miss JRich, but I'm not as worried about the loss of his production--especially when you factor in not only Carter, but Gortat and Pietrus. Hedo and Clark to me were beyond worthless on this team, so it's almost a Carter/Gortat/Pietrus/1st rounder for JRich. That's a GREAT trade.

The biggest issue to me is that MP is too much of a chucker. I get the idea that Gentry allows you to keep shooting, but he's got to have a limit. If a guy goes 1 for 5 or 2 for 7, take him out immediately. MP is a difficult guy to do that to, unfortunately, because he's easily our best perimeter defender. And it's difficult to simply not give him the ball because if the guy is open for Nash to pass to, what are you going to do? You have to take the shot. We saw that a bunch of times against Sacramento.

Unfortunately in that game, it wasn't the Kings' outside shooting that was killing us, it was the rebounding, so I'm not sure even MP's defensive skills were worth his horrid shooting.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post.

The biggest issue to me is that MP is too much of a chucker. I get the idea that Gentry allows you to keep shooting, but he's got to have a limit. If a guy goes 1 for 5 or 2 for 7, take him out immediately. MP is a difficult guy to do that to, unfortunately, because he's easily our best perimeter defender. And it's difficult to simply not give him the ball because if the guy is open for Nash to pass to, what are you going to do? You have to take the shot. We saw that a bunch of times against Sacramento.

I think there is a nuance between shooting a wide open 3 and chucking everything up from 3 that you think you can get. Someone needs to explain the difference between the two for MP. I have no problem with him taking wide open uncontested 3's. It's the really bad ones he took in the last game. Also, there was the couple times he could have drove to the lane and chose not to. I think if you asked Gentry if he wants MP to chuck up several of those shots he would have said "no".

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know people give you a lot of heat for your posts but I agree. Can Frye shoot? Hell yes. Is he afraid to shoot? Hell yes. The guy has choked before and he continues to be afraid to shoot in games that are no where close to pressurized and miss badly. I've seen Frye shoot the Suns out of many games as well. It's amazing how many times we see the guy wide freaking open and he fakes and passes it off (OMFG SMH)... I know most of you will not agree with this but I'm just saying what I'm seeing on the court. When Frye shoots the Suns win which means he does mean a lot to the team when he is on. He spreads the defense. Nowadays, his impact offensively on defensive positioning of the opponent is very little since he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shooting.
Its could be because he doesn't really feel like he needs to do good because he already got his big CONTRACT deal. Thanks Sarver! WE CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON YOU TO PAY BIG $$ TO OUR SCRUBS AND LET OUR ALL STARS LEAVE!!!!!!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Nash
Carter
Hill/Pietrus (alternating - no back to backs for Hill)
Hakim
Gortat

Bench
Dragic
Pietrus/Dudley/Childress
Frye
Lopez

Warrick starting is not the best idea but I guess its the only one we have.

Wow...to think one season away from being in the WCFs to now starting scrubs like Warrick and Frye.... HOLY CRAP!

If the Cavs are still dealing Hickson, I want him here.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barring a trade, the only chance this team will make any playoff push is if Frye starts hitting his shots.
Between offseason and now, Suns have lost their 2 top scorers from last PO. Frye's confidence seemed to have hit an all time low after he started coming off the bench, but I will still take Frye over Warrick especially next game against the Lakers.
An healty Carter will contribute, but the dude was grimacing all game and he stood around like a spectator while Garcia grabs 2 huge rebounds! He is just not fit enough.
I like Pietrus on the defensive end but he is showing why Magic, let him go. As far as he is concerned, there is no such thing as a bad shot. i don't blame him, seeing how the other players are passing on shots and he seemed to be the only one who don't really care about chucking it up.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To be fair, MP only really chucked up bad shots in one game--his previous games with us have been pretty good. It's not really fair to say that the one game is his normal self and the 3 before are unusual.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the games before the kings game,
MP shot for 25% and 33%...

you're okay with those percentages chap?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, MP only really chucked up bad shots in one game--his previous games with us have been pretty good. It's not really fair to say that the one game is his normal self and the 3 before are unusual.

the games before the kings game,
MP shot for 25% and 33%...

you're okay with those percentages chap?

I think Chap is referring to his shot selection. I agree it was much better the previous games. I think part of this is not gelling yet and getting the philosophy down that Gentry probably wants.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Chap is referring to his shot selection. I agree it was much better the previous games. I think part of this is not gelling yet and getting the philosophy down that Gentry probably wants.

Exactly. Apologies for not being clearer.