Kings @ Suns Friday game thread 12-8-2023

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The same thing was forced upon Jalen Smith in Phoenix.
Except he was hitting those jumpers in college. Which is why we drafted him. He was a big shot blocking PF that could hit the three. He still showed great timing on blocking shots even though he wasn't making any threes for us.

Okogie has always been a work in progress with his jumper. He kinda has an excuse in some degree.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except he was hitting those jumpers in college. Which is why we drafted him. He was a big shot blocking PF that could hit the three. He still showed great timing on blocking shots even though he wasn't making any threes for us.

Smith could hit the outside shot, but I don't recall him regularly being forced to shoot the corner three in college. His game was more like a center.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard a rumor today that PJ Tucker might be coming back to PHX.
Where did you hear this? Also, does Tucker have anything left? If so, his kind of grit is desperately need on this team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Where did you hear this? Also, does Tucker have anything left? If so, his kind of grit is desperately need on this team.
It was on 98.7 radio today. Supposedly he may be available. Conjecture is that is the type of guy we could get with our available trade assets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Smith could hit the outside shot, but I don't recall him regularly being forced to shoot the corner three in college. His game was more like a center.
I saw lot's of highlights of him hitting threes, especially a famous game winner where they set a screen for him to take as the clock ran out. So, if he would have hit his threes, he would have still been on the Suns. A big PF that could block shots, and hit threes, we wouldn't have traded that!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was on 98.7 radio today. Supposedly he may be available. Conjecture is that is the type of guy we could get with our available trade assets.

What assets?

To make the money work it would have to be Grayson Allen and 1 or 2 other min contract guys.

I am no fan of Allen but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think it happens unless he's bought out. He makes just under $11 million a year, which is about where the cutoff is for players eligible to sign with teams over the second apron. The Clippers will likely find a deal for him elsewhere.

One name I heard who could be available for the Suns is Bones Hyland, who is buried on the Clippers bench, again. He only makes 2.8 million and we may be able to make something work there as we should have a trade exception available. Of course we don't need a PG as bad as a big but it wouldn't be an awful move.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
One name I heard who could be available for the Suns is Bones Hyland, who is buried on the Clippers bench, again. He only makes 2.8 million and we may be able to make something work there as we should have a trade exception available. Of course we don't need a PG as bad as a big but it wouldn't be an awful move.
Hyland for Goodwin+Bol, if Hyland can play some defense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We should have a trade exception to absorb his contract without giving anyone up, the Cam Payne deal. That would likely require we send a 2nd round pick. In a separate deal we could trade Bol Bol there for a highly protected 2nd rounder, that is for trade purposes only and never conveys, which keeps us from waiving him. Due to Bol being on a minimum deal, he can be acquired in a trade similar to how we got Aaron Holiday, Torrey Craig the 1st time, and also Jock Landale in the past.

I'd rather not lose Goodwin. Hyland is more of a PG than Goodwin but having both would be better than just 1. Losing Bol is a necessity to make room for Hyland. Whether the Clippers want him or not, we'd likely waive him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should have a trade exception to absorb his contract without giving anyone up, the Cam Payne deal. That would likely require we send a 2nd round pick. In a separate deal we could trade Bol Bol there for a highly protected 2nd rounder, that is for trade purposes only and never conveys, which keeps us from waiving him. Due to Bol being on a minimum deal, he can be acquired in a trade similar to how we got Aaron Holiday, Torrey Craig the 1st time, and also Jock Landale in the past.

I'd rather not lose Goodwin. Hyland is more of a PG than Goodwin but having both would be better than just 1. Losing Bol is a necessity to make room for Hyland. Whether the Clippers want him or not, we'd likely waive him.
Offensively, Goodwin is a below average backup PG but from what I've seen, he's better at that position than Hyland. I'd take Bones over him if we were looking for a backup shooting guard but I'd hate to have him playing the point for us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw lot's of highlights of him hitting threes, especially a famous game winner where they set a screen for him to take as the clock ran out. So, if he would have hit his threes, he would have still been on the Suns. A big PF that could block shots, and hit threes, we wouldn't have traded that!

Jalen shot .323 from three during his freshman and sophomore seasons. This is not a great stat, but it shows potential.

However, Maryland wouldn't camp Smith in the corner like James Jones did to shoot threes.

Smith moved around a lot in college and his shots came in the flow of the game where he felt comfortable. He would often play up top or move inside for his looks, much like a center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it happens unless he's bought out. He makes just under $11 million a year, which is about where the cutoff is for players eligible to sign with teams over the second apron. The Clippers will likely find a deal for him elsewhere.

I'd grab Bones Hyland in a millisecond if I were the Suns. He has the makings of a good point guard down the road.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd grab Bones Hyland in a millisecond if I were the Suns. He has the makings of a good point guard down the road.
I'd grab him in a minute (on the cheap) if we needed another shooting guard, he has a lot of talent. But if we're talking about replacing Goodwin at the point with Hyland, I don't see that as an upgrade at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd grab him in a minute (on the cheap) if we needed another shooting guard, he has a lot of talent. But if we're talking about replacing Goodwin at the point with Hyland, I don't see that as an upgrade at all.

Hyland is a point guard/shooting guard like Goodwin. For me, it's about adding talent and depth.

Also, if the Suns traded for Hyland they would have his rights for at least two additional seasons. As I understand it, the Suns have a club option on Goodwin next season.

If a team adds talent, they can always use it in trade later on if they so choose.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Hyland a lot, but I do not support trading Goodwin for him. Goodwin is a nice player on a good contract.

Now if the Suns could get Hyland for Bol Bol and something else like a second round pick, I'd support it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think I'd rather have a big at this point. Between Beal and Goodwin, throw in Gordon, aside from Booker and KD, we have guards. We aren't losing the ball off the dribble, well, maybe KD, but it's more the passing. We are not careful with our passes. Not moving to the correct angles, like Eddie Johnson says. Everyone thinks a PG solves that issue, but it really doesn't because everyone is lazy passing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a fan of Hyland. There's a reason he was given up quickly by Denver and buried on the bench on LAC.

Denver didn't play Reggie Jackson last year but he's been big for them this year. Michael Malone isn't a great coach, he was saved by Jokic going supernova. He runs a D'Antoni sort of short rotation and doesn't fluctuate much. As for the Clippers, they're a different sort of mess. They're loaded with guards so it's no surprise Bones isn't playing there. He's behind Westbrook, Harden, Powell, Mann, and George for minutes at either guard position.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
His college game he indeed played very dynamically switching between playing the 4 & 5 from the 5 spot because he played in a system that played 4 guards & 1 big. He wasn't stuck in either the 4 or 5 spot. He played like a 4 or like a 5 based on what the defense gave and what his opponent could do. Slow bigs he took them off the dribble often getting them in foul trouble. Physical bigs he shot the ball and soft bigs he posted and other types he did a combination of those things.

This was often the reason why most were very confused about what he was. From one game to the next you saw a different version of him but the metamorphing of how he played was one of the main very reasons why his college team was so successful, they literally stretched the floor with him in a league known for big physical play.

Monty didn't even know he was like rank 4th nationally in double doubles. Monty had no clue he was an excellent rebounder. Smith problem was Monty handling of him not what Smith could or could not do. And as being reported in Detroit management, like the Suns management, is upset about his handling of certain players, like the Suns management didn't like how Monty treated Smith either. There's a reason why the assistant coach played Smith during Monty's absence "like that".

I believe Monty would severely delayed Haliburton's development too. Because to say if you were in charged at that time you wouldn't have played a rookie Booker is crazy. I mean bat poo crazy when said player is now is an allstar.

Detriot fans are losing their minds everyday about what Monty is saying & doing now. I always thought he did & said what he does on purpose because he likes to troll the fans. Repeat & Rinse & Recycle. A leopard don't change his spots nor can you teach a dog new tricks. Detroit fans want him bought out, willing to pay him $50 mil to leave. Crazy. They say he can't coach or manage a team, he plays favorites & kills players confidence and lost this team. All the issues he had at the Suns & previous stops just don't have a CP3 & his disciples to carry him now.

Last edited: