Suns@Kings

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've always felt like Nash would be a GREAT fit up in Portland. He's got a guy who he can pick and roll with in Aldrige all day long, a JJ-esque shooting guard in Roy and Camby who can make up for all the times Nash's guy blows past him to get to the hole.

I'd take Batum, picks and an expiring for him and call it an era.

McMillan has Portland running a halfcourt offense and doesn't allow them to run. According to reports, Roy is unhappy about being paired with Miller in the backcourt because Miller dominates the ball too much for his taste. Obviously Roy isn't playing much right now, but I still don't see it as a good fit. Portland isn't a contender even with Nash. It is the closest team to Vancouver though...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You seem to have this illusion that the league is full of great power forwards. Not sure where you get that from. Out of the 300-some players in the NBA, only about 20 are actual good Power Forwards. Funny thing is, as bad as Channing is, he's still the best long-range shooter at his position. Too bad it doesn't mean much.
C'mon Chap. I said "legitimate" Power Forward, not "great". You said yourself, "...as bad as Channing is..." If a PF is not a perfect "10" then it is OK for him to be a "0" playing like a Shooting Guard, with very inconsistent 3-point shooting all season?

And, think about it. Channing's "long range" shooting means a lot to a Shooting Guard. But it doesn't help Gortat or Lopez (just as it didn't help Amar'e) trying to fight two Bigs as our only one Big.

Frye, at his size, should be more than an opportunity rebounder on defense (as was Marion ) and certainly does not help on offensive rebounds camping out 23 feet from the basket.

It is ironic your post actually makes the best points for the Suns' need to replace Frye, just as they needed to replace Hedo, who was not just underperforming, but tying up the Power Forward spot playing like a Guard . . . which hurts our Centers, whoever they may be.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
C'mon Chap. I said "legitimate" Power Forward, not "great". You said yourself, "...as bad as Channing is..." If a PF is not a perfect "10" then it is OK for him to be a "0" playing like a Shooting Guard, with very inconsistent 3-point shooting all season?

And, think about it. Channing's "long range" shooting means a lot to a Shooting Guard. But it doesn't help Gortat or Lopez (just as it didn't help Amar'e) trying to fight two Bigs as our only one Big.

Frye, at his size, should be more than an opportunity rebounder on defense (as was Marion ) and certainly does not help on offensive rebounds camping out 23 feet from the basket.

It is ironic your post actually makes the best points for the Suns' need to replace Frye, just as they needed to replace Hedo, who was not just underperforming, but tying up the Power Forward spot playing like a Guard . . . which hurts our Centers, whoever they may be.

Sheesh, he hasn't been playing "like a SG". I know you like to complain about the bigs for complaining's sake, but he was much better as a starter and actually played a little defense.

I wonder if you just cut and paste your responses to everything--I don't think we've ever seen one post from you where you DON'T complain about the big situation.

I'm not saying that we don't need someone better at the PF spot, because we definitely do. But you and your cronies are making Frye out to be the worst big man in the league. He's not great, but he's better than a lot of other big men in the league right now. When he's actually hitting his outside shots, he's an extremely dangerous weapon, and any rational basketball fan should be able to acknowledge that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've always felt like Nash would be a GREAT fit up in Portland. He's got a guy who he can pick and roll with in Aldrige all day long, a JJ-esque shooting guard in Roy and Camby who can make up for all the times Nash's guy blows past him to get to the hole.

I'd take Batum, picks and an expiring for him and call it an era.

First of all, Portland won't give up Batum. As it stands, he's their best (and some would say ONLY) young player. And secondly, any trade involving Nash to Portland would undoubtedly include Andre Miller.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, Portland won't give up Batum. As it stands, he's their best (and some would say ONLY) young player. And secondly, any trade involving Nash to Portland would undoubtedly include Andre Miller.

so, Miller would be the expiring contract as he's on a team option for next year. I don't see the problem there.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nash is worth more to us than nothing, which is essentially what we'd be getting in return.

I forget, do people want to trade Nash because he's a good guy that deserves a chance at a ring or to get stuff in return? Both would be nice, but that's not easy. Throw in a pick and shuffle Rudy to another team for a pick and there you go. We'd have 4 first rounders to leverage into a future Point Guard.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I forget, do people want to trade Nash because he's a good guy that deserves a chance at a ring or to get stuff in return? Both would be nice, but that's not easy. Throw in a pick and shuffle Rudy to another team for a pick and there you go. We'd have 4 first rounders to leverage into a future Point Guard.

The latter is more important than the former. Either way, it ain't happening. Nash is the only thing selling tickets these days, and as poor as attendance has been this year, it'll be an absolute ghost town when he leaves. As bad as it will be, you just hope it'll be bad enough for Sarver to sell, and rid the team and it's fan base of his "management".

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The latter is more important than the former. Either way, it ain't happening. Nash is the only thing selling tickets these days, and as poor as attendance has been this year, it'll be an absolute ghost town when he leaves. As bad as it will be, you just hope it'll be bad enough for Sarver to sell, and rid the team and it's fan base of his "management".

Do you have an example of an owner that sold his NBA team because they had a losing season?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Do you have an example of an owner that sold his NBA team because they had a losing season?

None come to mind immediately, but I do know when teams prepare to sell, they typically try to run as lean as possible to look more attractive as an asset. Further, Sarver has mentioned before that he doesn't necessarily look at ownership as a long term proposition, so perhaps alienating the city and ruining it's most well established team will finally convince him to get out.

Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i could care less about getting anything in return seeing as I have zero confidence this FO has a clue how to rebuild this team. I just want to see Nash have another shot at a title and not go out on a team who will win 30-35 games the next couple years.

Atlanta is probably a good destination for him. JJ, Nash, Josh Smith, Hortford... that team could be pretty damn good.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
In last nights game I remember at least a dozen times when Gortat was fighting by himself with 3 or 4 Kings for a defensive rebound. If the Suns knew the Kings would send 3 or 4 players to the offensive glass every possession why didn't they commit more people to getting defensive boards?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In last nights game I remember at least a dozen times when Gortat was fighting by himself with 3 or 4 Kings for a defensive rebound. If the Suns knew the Kings would send 3 or 4 players to the offensive glass every possession why didn't they commit more people to getting defensive boards?

Exactly...it's been Gorat and 3 small forwards, none of who were making much of an effort on the boards.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we want to win now, we gotta try something like this.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=27utsey
(we also give a 1st rd pick to CLE)

This way both the bench and the starters will have excellent rebounders and interior defenders. Plus we get a good young PF that can run the pickNroll with Nash. He's got the potential to be an elite PF in this league.

nash, sessions
carter, pietrus
hill, dudley
hickson, frye
gortat, varejou

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like that because the starters often have worse +/- than Lopez so that means they play worse when someone else is in.

Wow...just wow... really...slinslin??

Really? So we just discard the fact that because we are primarily a jump shooting team we tend to give up big leads late when the game turns more physical. Watch the games. Lopez is playing like he's the worst player. Not just the worst player on this team, the worst player ever, anywhere, any level, anytime, any freaking planet. A blind man could see it.

Steve

Ok....almost a +1. I know of a couple guys that play worse. :)

At any rate....I would like them to get Gortat in the starting lineup with Pietrus coming off the bench again. I also would love to see Dudley start.

Nash
Carter
Dudley
Frye (yuck...but it's either him or Akim)
Gortat

If that doesn't work, I guess we could try:

Nash
Carter
Dudley
Gortat
Lopez (not that I think it will help his game with Gortat).

The only problem with the above scenario is that Lopez will probably get in foul trouble anyway and we go back to Gortat at Center and Frye or Akim at PF. Really if either gets into foul trouble we get really small really quick off the bench with no real other "center" type to come off the bench. That is the main reason I don't think this works.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
... I know you like to complain about the bigs for complaining's sake ... I wonder if you just cut and paste your responses to everything ... any rational basketball fan should be able to acknowledge that ...
Yeah, I guess insulting me is going to make the Suns play stronger.

Chaplin said:
When he's actually hitting his outside shots ...
A guy like Frye who is 6'11" - 248 needs to contribute more than an eratic 3-point shot once in awhile. Why do you think Gentry is going with Small Forwards at the Power Forward position?

Here is what devilalum posted about playing small.
devilalum said:

And here is what ASUCHRIS said.
ASUCHRIS said:
Exactly...it's been Gorat and 3 small forwards, none of who were making much of an effort on the boards.

The point I keep referring to needs to change. How many Centers can we go through, trying to do it all themselves because our only player who has the height and weight to be a Power Forward has the mentality of a wuss, hiding from contact? Or, again, as you said:
Chaplin said:
When he's actually hitting his outside shots.
It is ironic that your defense of Frye is actually more damning than my criticism of him as a weak 248 pounder taking up a needed spot on the roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It is ironic that your defense of Frye is actually more damning than my criticism of him as a weak 248 pounder taking up a needed spot on the roster.

You're absolutely wrong, and you continue to conveniently ignore all the other points about Channing, namely his very apparent improvement as a starter. Not just as a shooter--which is the only thing you can talk about apparently--but his defense and rebounding. Granted, his rebounding numbers are not great, but he leads the team--the way you and others like you like to spin it, he's getting 2 points per game and 2 boards. How can you continually ignore his improvement? I know you watch the games, so I don't get it.

And for sunsfan88, this is NOT a bid to keep Channing as our #1 PF, even though I know you and your buddies will spin it that way. Just saying that contrary to your opinion, he DOES do more than just shoot (or not shoot, as the case was last night) 3-pointers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
... but his defense and rebounding ...
i respect your support of Channing. His defense and rebounding did start to show earlier in the season. 'Any idea why it tapered off, as well as his 3-point shooting?

And why Gentry, who knows what's going on behind the scenes, gave up on him and has now been using Small Forwards predominantly at the "4"?

In the TV spots we've seen, Channing Frye is a likeable guy. It would have been wonderful if, with his size and bulk, he could have given us Twin Towers, while using his shooting skills.

The fault lies with the Front Office which evaluates talent and should match salary increases to filling needs.

As frustrated as Frye must be now, I honestly believe that the best thing the Suns can do for him would be to trade him to a team that is stronger up front and let him get a fresh start, just as they did with Turkoglu.

That was the best kind of trade. One that improved both teams.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha The Channing Frye debate.

Before everyone was flaming me for saying he SUCKS!!

I'm glad more people are starting to realize this.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Supposedly everyone says Frye is a good shooter even if everyone has different opinions on his defense, rebounding, inside game, etc....

Frye's shooting 32-95 over the last 9 games...A pathetic 33%.

Soon players are gonna start daring Frye to shoot like they do to Rondo. Then he'll start feeling the pressure. And we all know what happens when Frye is under pressure...(re: 2010 NBA playoffs WCF vs Lakers)

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As frustrated as Frye must be now, I honestly believe that the best thing the Suns can do for him would be to trade him to a team that is stronger up front and let him get a fresh start, just as they did with Turkoglu.

That was the best kind of trade. One that improved both teams.
Yep.

jibikao

Reaction score
If Frye needs to play at power forward position, he needs to bulk up more. He just looks so skinny.

And his shooting % has been so bad lately. He is a 6'11 and if he shoots jumpers, there's not that many guys that can block him. He is just beating himself right now. Confidence...confidence...confidence!

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Supposedly everyone says Frye is a good shooter even if everyone has different opinions on his defense, rebounding, inside game, etc....

Frye's shooting 32-95 over the last 9 games...A pathetic 33%.

Soon players are gonna start daring Frye to shoot like they do to Rondo. Then he'll start feeling the pressure. And we all know what happens when Frye is under pressure...(re: 2010 NBA playoffs WCF vs Lakers)

I know people give you a lot of heat for your posts but I agree. Can Frye shoot? Hell yes. Is he afraid to shoot? Hell yes. The guy has choked before and he continues to be afraid to shoot in games that are no where close to pressurized and miss badly. I've seen Frye shoot the Suns out of many games as well. It's amazing how many times we see the guy wide freaking open and he fakes and passes it off (OMFG SMH)... I know most of you will not agree with this but I'm just saying what I'm seeing on the court. When Frye shoots the Suns win which means he does mean a lot to the team when he is on. He spreads the defense. Nowadays, his impact offensively on defensive positioning of the opponent is very little since he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shooting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort