Should we draft a QB in the mid-later rounds this year?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
As the senior bowl gets going, I wonder, is QB in play for us later on? Or do we stick with Glennon exclusively going forward as the backup?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since we have many “holes” according to everybody, why waste a pick on a backup QB?

The answer is no.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you can get a guy like Minneshew who knows the ins and outs of the air spread then yes in case Rosen goes down or maybe trade a late round pick for Luke Falk?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If you can get a guy like Minneshew who knows the ins and outs of the air spread then yes in case Rosen goes down or maybe trade a late round pick for Luke Falk?
If Falk is your target, you wait until after the draft...and send a late round 2020 pick for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Since we have many “holes” according to everybody, why waste a pick on a backup QB?

The answer is no.
My only thought is getting an Air Raid guy in here. Help to explain the concepts to Rosen, and have a guy that could really be an asset going forward.

The Falk idea intrigues me. Good thinking.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hell no, because I guess most have selective amnesia with the temptations of the draft and the fact we already have such a QB on the roster named Charles Kanoff who for all intent purposes under the disoriented Wilks' regime is pretty accurate and could maybe run a Kingsberry offense... we need freaking OL, WRs on the offense

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hell no, because I guess most have selective amnesia with the temptations of the draft and the fact we already have such a QB on the roster named Charles Kanoff who for all intent purposes under the disoriented Wilks' regime is pretty accurate and could maybe run a Kingsberry offense... we need freaking OL, WRs on the offense

Yeah, I suppose if we really stuck with Kanoff for this long, we have to see what’s there. I guess I just want to be that team that acquires a QB every year until we can trade one away and fleece another team.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards may have 10 picks (with comps) in the draft this year. Why not take a qb in 5th round or later especially if there is one that KK likes.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ron Wolf's (Hall of Famer and ex Packer GM) philosophy on draft ing QBs:

Ron Wolf’s most notable stamp on modern scouting is his view on quarterbacks: While there’s only room for one starter, you can never acquire too many. In Wolf’s world, it is worthwhile to draft a QB every year, no matter the current roster situation. “Looking now from afar, the best quarterback in the game is a sixth-round draft choice [Tom Brady], and that should alert everybody,” Wolf says. “Then you look at what the Cowboys have accomplished with a fourth-round draft choice. I mean, it tells you what you should do. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.
Consider that in seven out of eight drafts from 1992 to ’99, Wolf drafted a quarterback, even after Brett Favre was entrenched as the starter. “I learned very early in this game, if you don’t have a quarterback, you don’t have a chance,” Wolf said. “We were very lucky that we had a unique quarterback that never missed a game. But that didn’t stop me from drafting in late rounds. It’s the premiere position, and you better be able to cover yourself.”

In acquiring extra arms—among them Ty Detmer (1992 ninth round), Mark Brunell (’93 fifth round), Matt Hasselbeck (’98 sixth round) and Aaron Brooks (’99 fourth round), all of whom became starters for other teams—Wolf says he was bringing in players to challenge Favre. But more importantly, he was looking for raw talent to cultivate for backup roles, or to dangle for a trade and acquire even more draft picks.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I’d have no problem taking a late round QB to develop. Kanoff is here but his roster spot shouldn’t be guaranteed.

The late rounds are where you take guys with developmental potential I don’t care what position that is.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If Falk is your target, you wait until after the draft...and send a late round 2020 pick for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Or wait till he gets cut...we have 1st waiver priority. :)

Davis Webb is another target.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Ron Wolf's (Hall of Famer and ex Packer GM) philosophy on draft ing QBs:

Ron Wolf’s most notable stamp on modern scouting is his view on quarterbacks: While there’s only room for one starter, you can never acquire too many. In Wolf’s world, it is worthwhile to draft a QB every year, no matter the current roster situation. “Looking now from afar, the best quarterback in the game is a sixth-round draft choice [Tom Brady], and that should alert everybody,” Wolf says. “Then you look at what the Cowboys have accomplished with a fourth-round draft choice. I mean, it tells you what you should do. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.
Consider that in seven out of eight drafts from 1992 to ’99, Wolf drafted a quarterback, even after Brett Favre was entrenched as the starter. “I learned very early in this game, if you don’t have a quarterback, you don’t have a chance,” Wolf said. “We were very lucky that we had a unique quarterback that never missed a game. But that didn’t stop me from drafting in late rounds. It’s the premiere position, and you better be able to cover yourself.”

In acquiring extra arms—among them Ty Detmer (1992 ninth round), Mark Brunell (’93 fifth round), Matt Hasselbeck (’98 sixth round) and Aaron Brooks (’99 fourth round), all of whom became starters for other teams—Wolf says he was bringing in players to challenge Favre. But more importantly, he was looking for raw talent to cultivate for backup roles, or to dangle for a trade and acquire even more draft picks.

Totally agree with this.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Random Thoughts:

- If the best available player in any round is a QB, a BPA-drafting team would take him.

- Forget whom we drafted a year ago. (& it's not as though Kanoff necessarily proved he's the next Unitas). The BPA is the BPA. If you like him, you draft him.

- Keim's past stated MO is to fill roster needs in free agency and grab best available players in the draft. (Note - He says he builds team position--fit as one of the factors in each player's BPA rating).

What I think usually happens is that there are clusters of players with similar BPA ratings (i.e. say players rated #45 - #50). But he'd pass on players rated #45, 46, 47, 48 and 49 if he felt the dude rated #50 played a position where the Cards needed a lot of help).

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards will have a 4th QB in camp so they might spends pick on one but they have so many immediate needs. I’ll wait until I see if they do anything useful in FA. There will be some UDFA QBs that are about as good as the round choices.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wouldn't draft a guy late unless we were sure he is better than kanoff. There will be plenty of udfa guys to put warm bodies in camp

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm ok with Glennon sticking around as a backup for a few years. He make $4 million next season and $5 million the next two after that. That is not terrible for a veteran backup in the NFL. Hell, Drew Stanton made over $3 million an year here and went 9-4 as a started for us when needed.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Although Davis Webb transferred from Texas Tech and I do not know what his relationship w/C2K is, but he might be a good option as a camp arm/backup...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson