Can This Roster Be Playoff Level in a Year?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think this is a long shot primarily because of all the vacancies I perceive. It’s true, every year teams make the playoffs with holes in their roster. The problem with fixing the Cards roster is depth. They can likely fill most of the obvious weak spots, but building usable depth will be a much harder task. This is critical because inevitability some key injuries will occur. Contending is about being able to replace those players without losing momentum. The Cards piled up 2024 draft choices. They also have significant cap space because aside from Murray they don’t have Pro Bowl salary commitments. Additional cap space can be created by making a post-June 1 cut of Ertz plus possibly Humphries and Prater.

The first step is determining which slots can likely be filled via the draft. The draft has good options and depth at OT, CB, WR, Edge & G.

This vacancies list may be impacted by extending Baker & Brown, that’s 2 holes that wouldn’t need to be filled. So what are the “must haves.”

WR, 2 if Brown leaves
OT, if Humphries cut
G, 2
TE, cutting Ertz
DT, 2
ILB
CB
K, if Prater cut
Backups needed
RB, breakaway
C
TE
CB
S
OT

Overall this means the Cards must at least look at DTs & ILBs in FA Or go early in the draft. I know it’s ironic the ILB is an issue. It’s a little early to start putting names to slots. Going with 3 rookies and one second year player on the O- line looks impractical, so some experience should be added in FA. Some of the current starters can be retained as backups. Also depth would be best added in FA, though the Cards could get lucky with a late round pick or two. Theoretically these holes could all be filled but no team gets it right with all their acquisitions. Also getting coordination out of a virtually new roster is highly unlikely. The only sure thing is several new faces are headed the Cards’ way.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Compare this roster to the roster we had in 21 that is the level of roster we need with Kyler being a top 5-10 QB

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need to hit on all our draft pics and even trade down our top pic for that to happen. I’d say trade down both pics to secure young talent.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I’d also add defensive end/olb. We are still missing a real force there that we have been overcoming (or attempting to) with a heavy rotation of mediocre players.

I think like thecardfan said above- comes down to Murray and his play. Assuming murray comes back and is the man- we have a slim shot of making it to the playoffs next year not only looking at our roster but also our division:
-basically no shot at beating the niners for several years
-Seahawks loaded with young talent/depth, could be winnable games, but even with some holes filled, we’d be the underdog
- rams should be beatable, but we never seem to find an answer to kupp and there is no solution apparent on this roster.

If you can’t stand a reasonable chance of winning in your division , you probably aren’t headed to the playoffs

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no indication if Monti can build a winning roster. That remains to be seen.

Kyler is good enough to get a team to the playoffs but beyond that, who knows.

I see little chance of making the playoffs next season

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is no indication if Monti can build a winning roster. That remains to be seen.

Some of it is projecting growth. Growth in Kyler, Monti, Gannon, Petzing, Rallis, etc. Obviously a lot can happen, and a key injury or two could bring it all crumbling down. That said, if Kyler looks to be worth keeping, there isn't a reason that 9-8 isn't feasible.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That said, if Kyler looks to be worth keeping, there isn't a reason that 9-8 isn't feasible.
And with nearly half the league making the playoffs, just getting in isn't that great of an accomplishment. Baby steps though - I think we'd all be happy to just be at the dance next year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Depends on the off-season and what happens with the rest of the NFC.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion is based on Kyler being the Kyler we all hope he can be. However, if we are forced to move on from him then of course we will have to take a Qb with our first pick. That will change everything.

I believe you have to be very good at something. We can’t fix everything but if we fix this offense it’s a two-fold improvement. A very good offense will help the defense.

1. We need a dynamic wr. MHJ would fill that void. If we retain Brown as our #2 it would be a great 1-2 punch. Add Wilson and Moore and we’ve got something.
2. We need a speed back that can split time with Connor. Connor is a valuable piece but cannot be leaned on as a bellcow. Look at guys like Swift, Pacheco, Akeler and others. Speed kills and this RB group ain’t killing anybody.
3. We have to reinforce this o-line. There are several different roads to take but I think we need to sign 1 bonafide guard and draft an OT. We can debate about keeping Humphries or not.

This would put the pieces in place to give Kyler a chance to be better than good. It would keep us in games. It would be fun to watch and it would help the defense by not having to hold our opponents to 14 pts.

There would still be enough draft picks and free agents to help the defense. Maybe not as much as we would like in 1 year but enough to improve a little. An offense that can score 25-28 points a game would help.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we keep Kyler and Hollywood - get a legit starting Center and LG - a competent RB or two - I think our offense will be okay next year
All predicated on Kyler, but my guess on the plan would be to re-sign Brown and keep Conner. They probably cut Ertz.

RB: FA has some decent names to pair with Conner. The question is can you find one with speed. If not FA, the draft would be an easy way to fill the gap.

TE: You probably cut Ertz. FA offers some decent options, and that is probably an easy spot to fill one or two TE spots.

LG: Probably need to sign a FA and draft a player depending on what the org feels about the young players it has. My guess is we will draft an IOL with the hole at LG and both the C and RG being FAs in 2025.

C: The draft might be the only option to upgrade of Fro.

OTHER AREAS

WR: We will be in a position to add one. The value will be there but it will take away the option of adding DL.

OT: This isn't a huge "need" but might become the best option at the top of the draft.

I agree that this is mostly doable. Just depends on Kyler and Brown to justify their deals.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All predicated on Kyler, but my guess on the plan would be to re-sign Brown and keep Conner. They probably cut Ertz.

RB: FA has some decent names to pair with Conner. The question is can you find one with speed. If not FA, the draft would be an easy way to fill the gap.

TE: You probably cut Ertz. FA offers some decent options, and that is probably an easy spot to fill one or two TE spots.

LG: Probably need to sign a FA and draft a player depending on what the org feels about the young players it has. My guess is we will draft an IOL with the hole at LG and both the C and RG being FAs in 2025.

OTHER AREAS

WR: We will be in a position to add one. The value will be there but it will take away the option of adding DL.

OT: This isn't a huge "need" but might become the best option at the top of the draft.

I agree that this is mostly doable. Just depends on Kyler and Brown to justify their deals.
I like your analysis. I really want them to fix this offense.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

OTHER AREAS

I'd be good with all of that amigo

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but really depends more on Kyler than anything.

As far as roster construction goes? That's the easiest part with what they have available. It's really on Kyler and the growth of the coaches.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think people are purposely forgetting that while the QB is the most valuable player on the team, it’s not the only player on the team.

It just doesn’t “depend on Kyler”. It depends on him & everyone else around him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people are purposely forgetting that while the QB is the most valuable player on the team, it’s not the only player on the team.

It just doesn’t “depend on Kyler”. It depends on him & everyone else around him.
True. But a dynamic Kyler would make everyone a little better.
Our running game before Connor went down was pretty darn good. If he returns it will make Kyler a little more dangerous.
Dobbs throwing did not strike fear in our opponents heart yet we were still able to run the ball.

I just hope we run the same offense but with more shots with Kyler’s arm.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
True. But a dynamic Kyler would make everyone a little better.
Our running game before Connor went down was pretty darn good. If he returns it will make Kyler a little more dangerous.
Dobbs throwing did not strike fear in our opponents heart yet we were still able to run the ball.

I just hope we run the same offense but with more shots with Kyler’s arm.
There are a couple things that Kyler can do to really help the offense.

1 - Connect on vertical plays down the field. Keeping safeties back will help the running game.

2 - Continue to add the threat of running from the QB position. Again, will help the running game by keeping the defense honest.

3 - Audibling. Kyler should have enough experience in the league to get the offense out of bad play situations. Less negative plays will help the offensive line.

All of these help the running game, help out individual WRs, and the offensive line. They help the offense do more with less which will be critical as the Cardinals assets will need to be split between the offense and the defense. Now we just need to see Kyler do them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

True. And if it all IS dependent upon kyler that’s an indictment of the roster building of the front office. But all that said, it’s impossible to overstate the impact that a quarterback with kylers mercurial abilities can have on the fortunes of the team. I see no reason to downplay that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. And if it all IS dependent upon kyler that’s an indictment of the roster building of the front office. But all that said, it’s impossible to overstate the impact that a quarterback with kylers mercurial abilities can have on the fortunes of the team. I see no reason to downplay that.

Yeah, I look at next season this way. If Kyler is merely good, we’re in essence adding 3 first round picks to the roster, one of which at the most important position in the game. With the right FA additions and hoping that one of our gajillion picks after round 2 ends up being a producer, you’re looking at what you hope would be adding 5 or 6 sizable impact players in one off-season. Assuming we actually have good coaching, that SHOULD BE enough to make this team compete for a playoff spot, buoying the bare bone “building blocks” currently here after we all but took off this past off-season.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Agree to an extent but also disagree on Kyler.

This team can't pay Kyler's contract and try to build a roster around him (currently void of talent) if he isn't playing like a franchise QB.

Kyler has to be VERY good or this doesn't work and you need to draft a QB and start over.