Can This Roster Be Playoff Level in a Year?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but really depends more on Kyler than anything.

As far as roster construction goes? That's the easiest part with what they have available. It's really on Kyler and the growth of the coaches.

Also depends how many draft picks they hit on in the next draft

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree to an extent but also disagree on Kyler.

This team can't pay Kyler's contract and try to build a roster around him (currently void of talent) if he isn't playing like a franchise QB.

Kyler has to be VERY good or this doesn't work and you need to draft a QB and start over.

Also good QB's raise the game of everyone else.

Wilson, Brown, the O line etc will all be better if Kyler does his job well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are plenty of examples of bad teams becoming good teams.

The 2021 Bengals are a good example. That roster wasn't great. Burrow went 2-7 the year before until he did his ACL and finished 4-11-1.

Didn't do much in FA outside Trey Hendrickson, mainly signed guys to 1 year deals. O line was trash. But they hit on Chase in the draft who was an instant top end player.

But won their division with a 10-7 record because Burrow played well.

Defense was devoid of big names but was solid and well coached.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Ding ding ding

He played at an elite level in 2021 and then backed it up again in 2022.

Kyler did as well for first half of 2021 and then regressed since then big time.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you get it and agree.

You just don't want to admit it so you are now you just using semantics to avoid it.
Really not shocking that others understood & agreed with the point, but you didn’t. Expected.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
There are plenty of examples of bad teams becoming good teams.

The 2021 Bengals are a good example. That roster wasn't great. Burrow went 2-7 the year before until he did his ACL and finished 4-11-1.

Didn't do much in FA outside Trey Hendrickson, mainly signed guys to 1 year deals. O line was trash. But they hit on Chase in the draft who was an instant top end player.

Defense was devoid of big names but was solid and well coached.
And there are even more examples of bad teams staying bad teams - which has nothing to do with us but then again neither does the 2021 Bengals - we're not the 2022 Lions either - we're the Arizona Cardinals

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think it’s more basic understanding than validation. I can’t break it down any further for you

C'mon man. You are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Kyler's performance as a franchise QB is the #1 pivot point for this franchise.
Yes it takes the entire team, yes its up to Monti, etc. You aren't saying anything anyone would argue with but you are minimizing the #1 most important part.
At the end of the day, nobody can build a winning roster starting where we are now with a QB getting paid like Kyler is if he stays Kyler of 2022 or the new D. Watson.

You know that and the rest of your responses are just bluster.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Filling the holes on the roster will require such a financial cost that I don't see any way that Bidwill fronts that kind of money to boost a team that was among the worst in the league.

Kyler tearing it up might change things, but I don't see Bidwill being either confident enough or embarrassed enough by the team to open up the coffers.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I predict that he can.
I dont think you even need to change your stance. The opportunity is certainly there with the picks and money we will have. So certainly he CAN. Will he? God only knows, but I'm with you. He may not, but I think he will. Have to.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And there are even more examples of bad teams staying bad teams - which has nothing to do with us but then again neither does the 2021 Bengals - we're not the 2022 Lions either - we're the Arizona Cardinals
Until proven different. Smart bettor says different won’t happen and discussions at the end of next season will be back to coaches not players.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am too. 9/10 of the board is advocating not taking MHJ and there is every possibility we don't re-sign Brown. The point stands for next year too.
I would be happy resigning, Brown and drafting MHJ

Use the second pic on online if a good ones available sign another online in free agency

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
C'mon man. You are arguing for the sake of arguing.
You need to take a look in the mirror.
Kyler's performance as a franchise QB is the #1 pivot point for this franchise.
I literally said….in multiple posts that Kyler is the most impactful/valuable guy within the entire organization. Hell, you quoted me saying that. What the hell are you even arguing about at this point?
yes its up to Monti,
Was that hard for you to admit? I don’t know why it took 3 seconds to get to the destination, but it took you 300 miles.
but you are minimizing the #1 most important part.
If you have trouble comprehending than I can’t help that.
At the end of the day, nobody can build a winning roster starting where we are now with a QB getting paid like Kyler is if he stays Kyler of 2022 or the new D. Watson.
That’s a General Manager’s job, guy. If Monti’s not qualified to do it then he should have never been hired in the first place. You are basically implying with backs against the wall, you have no faith in Monti to do what it takes to field a winning football team in the future. I’ll type it in bold for you: Kyler being bad does not excuse Monti for failing to draft good players & signings. That is his JOB.
You know that and the rest of your responses are just bluster
I direct you back to my first post. Look in the mirror.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
That’s a General Manager’s job, guy. If Monti’s not qualified to do it then he should have never been hired in the first place. You are basically implying with backs against the wall, you have no faith in Monti to do what it takes to field a winning football team in the future. I’ll type it in bold for you: Kyler being bad does not excuse Monti for failing to draft good players & signings. That is his JOB.

More bluster to avoid the main point.

Thank you Dvontel.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with him.

I’m not understanding what you’re trying to argue either, lol.
Me either

any team needs solid quarterback play to reach a playoff contender level

Regardless of what the Cardinals draft and sign in 2024 Kyler hast to play well otherwise they will not be playoff contender

But if he does play wild, and yes, the Cardinals should be a playoff team

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Me either

any team needs solid quarterback play to reach a playoff contender level

Regardless of what the Cardinals draft and sign in 2024 Kyler hast to play well otherwise they will not be playoff contender

But if he does play wild, and yes, the Cardinals should be a playoff team

You are missing the absolute #1 issue...is Kyler the franchise QB?

If so, we can get competitive quickly.

If not, then we are completely blowing it up and starting with a rookie QB...it will take longer.

Sounds like we are in agreement?

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
Well, thank you @WeBlitz
I’m saying I agree with Vontel.

Kyler playing good helps the franchise hell of a lot more than if he doesn’t, but I don’t believe that should stop Monti from building talented teams in the mean time with smart drafting and Free Agency.

I believe you’re downplaying that aspect, which is a little bit concerning.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kyler playing good helps the franchise hell of a lot more than if he doesn’t, but I don’t believe that should stop Monti from building talented teams in the mean time with smart drafting and Free Agency.

I believe you’re downplaying that aspect, which is a little bit concerning.

Has there ever been a winning team built that started with the lack of talent that we have today, a top 5-6 paid QB (not on rookie deal), and that QB played mediocre/average?
I keep asking this question because nobody has thought of one example. I think its a very important question.

My opinion is if Kyler doesn't play up to the level of his contract/cap space, we need to blow it up and start over at QB.
I am confident in Monti and JG but why saddle them with a mediocre QB making huge money?

Of course - I hope Kyler comes back to first half 2021 form (or close to it) and this will be a moot point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson