Rockets vs. Suns

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Suns down at the half, but from what I've seen, it's not their fault.

They are having horrible luck shooting the ball.

They are not taking mindless threes, but are instead driving to the hole. However, they sre still not able to make 3-5 ft shots.

*sigh*

However...AMARE IS A BEAST.
He has finally learnded that he has to deny a player the ball so they connot even get the ball.
He has almost 10 rebounds already.
He has been to the line 8-12
Unfortunately he is only like 1-10 from the field

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who is Joe Johnson - and why is this kid REGRESSING when by the end of his third year he should be really coming on - him and Marion are so overrated in my eyes it's not even funny -people talk about this great core we have and the only core on this team isnamed Amare - although I like Zarko - as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOD!!!!! That was just one of the sickest dunks I have ever seen - I mean Amare just flushed Yao's head down the toilet. Absolutely DISGUSTING!

scudney

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
OH MY GOD!!!!! That was just one of the sickest dunks I have ever seen - I mean Amare just flushed Yao's head down the toilet. Absolutely DISGUSTING!

Yeah that dunk was amazing.

How the refs gave Amare a tech is beyond me. He didn't do anything, while Francis half elbowed him in the chops. Francis could have easily been tossed for that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by scudney
Yeah that dunk was amazing.

How the refs gave Amare a tech is beyond me. He didn't do anything, while Francis half elbowed him in the chops. Francis could have easily been tossed for that.

Yeah that was crap - but what I really liked afterwards was Amare's composure - you could it boiling up through the steam out of his ears that he wanted to swing back at Francis so hard and he just wouldn't do it - that alone makes him special - much less the facial he served up on Yao AGAIN three plays later.

He's gonna be one of the greatest power forwards of all time - no doubt about it - maybe the greatest.

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
And Again...floats a hook in Yao's face.

Then he hits a J in Yao's face.

Then another jam in Yao's face.

AMARE IS "THE MONSTER"

DaFlogger

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah that was crap - but what I really liked afterwards was Amare's composure - you could it boiling up through the steam out of his ears that he wanted to swing back at Francis so hard and he just wouldn't do it - that alone makes him special - much less the facial he served up on Yao AGAIN three plays later.

He's gonna be one of the greatest power forwards of all time - no doubt about it - maybe the greatest.

And Francis had the Oh S**t look when Amare gave him that composure. :eek:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
!

AGGHHHH!!!! JJ's frustrates me so much - he made some great plays at the end and that shot over Yao to win was awesome - but he was so frustrating to watch in the first half - I WANT HIM TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER - HE'S GOT THE TALENT!!! PUT IT ALL TOGETHER!!

Nice win after the demoralizing home loss to the Mavs though - I don't want this season to stick in the players minds after it's done and more games like these won't let that happen. Amare's a stud.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Wow what a gritty win.

I was depressed because I had lost faith a little and was losing interest. I didn't even finish watching the Utah:evil: or the Dallas game over the weekend.

There are very few games left in the season and I would like to enjoy the Suns while they are still playing.

I hear you cheesebeef about JJ but I think your question could apply to the team in general. They have talent, when will they put it all together? The outscore the Rockets like 33-18 in the third but then need two huge shots to win the game.

Great game by Amare. He had a tough matchup will Yao in the middle, Amare didn't shoot well but he kept working hard, got to the FT line and made some big shots down the stretch.

I still can't figure out what Amare did to get his half of the dbl technical. :confused:

pack2112

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, Over
Reaction score
who is Joe Johnson - and why is this kid REGRESSING when by the end of his third year he should be really coming on - him and Marion are so overrated in my eyes it's not even funny -people talk about this great core we have and the only core on this team isnamed Amare - although I like Zarko - as well.

Marion and JJ won this game tonight.

Marion 29 and 8 with 3 blocked shots and 2 steals. Yeah he is sooo overrated.

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by pack2112
Marion and JJ won this game tonight.

Marion 29 and 8 with 3 blocked shots and 2 steals. Yeah he is sooo overrated.

I would have to add Amare in that list.

He did a great job of defending Yao from the parts that I watched at least.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
I would have to add Amare in that list.

He did a great job of defending Yao from the parts that I watched at least.

The person who did the best job of defending Yao was Steve "the most overrated player in the NBA" Francis.

If Yao was given the ball, he scored.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Amare takes a lot of horrible shots, and should maybe look to pass more, ala Karl Malone?

The guy is so quick off the dribble, and gets double-teamed so much, he should really look for teammates cutting to the hoop.

And if they aren't cutting, someone needs to make them :)

Mike

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree with you Mike. I think that will be part of his evolution as he continues to grow as a legit NBA Superstar.

2 more years, he will make that pass.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and Kudos to Marion and JJ for being clutch enough to hit the big shots down the stretch. Marion with the 3 for the tie and JJ with the game winner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Am I the only one who thinks Amare takes a lot of horrible shots, and should maybe look to pass more, ala Karl Malone?

The guy is so quick off the dribble, and gets double-teamed so much, he should really look for teammates cutting to the hoop.

And if they aren't cutting, someone needs to make them :)

Mike

no doubt Amare was rushing shots tonight - but he does so much else right - and he's only in his second year in the league - give him a little time - he's already a difference maker without the polish - once he's polished and trusts his teamates more (or once they instill confidence in him) he'll be an absolute no doubt about it Superstar.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The assumption that Yao just needs to get more shots is really stupid.

If he can't get position he can't get the ball and can't get shots. Amare did a great job at denying Yao position.

Yao's baskets were almost exclusively putbacks and tips.

Amare did force some shots. But the Rockets guarded him well and he missed some that he usually makes. When you have to beat a defender first and get to the rim and still have to beat Yao that's not easy but Amare had an inside presence which opened up the game for Barbosa, Marion and JJ.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
The assumption that Yao just needs to get more shots is really stupid.

Well I appreciate you calling me and EJ stupid. Francis had two freaking assists with like 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

The Rockets backcourt had like doubled Yao's shots.

When the Rockets went to Yao, he scored. I have to assume you watched the game correct?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You can't just give a player shots if he can't establish position.

I am just sick of people complaining about the Rockets guards not giving up the ball enough.

Didn't you see what happened when they were in Phoenix without Francis?

Yao has trouble establishing position and demanding the ball. That's his fault.
Without Francis his production isn't better.

Amare did a very good job of fronting Yao and denying him the ball.

Yao had like 1 nice drive and one dunk where he backed down Amare late in the game. The rest of his points all came off of offensive rebounds.

Besides that I called the assumption stupid.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah Francis has never passed the ball. With or without Yao. His career average for assists is like 6 which stinks for a PG.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Mike Bibby averages like 5.3apg for his Sacramento career....

Bob Cousy averaged only 7.5apg.

Marbury hasn't been the big assists guy either.

Francis creates a lot for the Rockets by drawing the defense to him especially when he attacks the basket. Either it makes Yao available for the pass or at worst it makes it easier for Yao to get good position for offensive rebounds.

I don't like Francis. But I would still clearly put him in the top 10 PGs.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Francis wasn't so up tight because he knows he's the most over paid, overrated player in the NBA, he would just give the ball to Yao and win everynight.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he is definitely in the top 10, but that is due to his scoring/rebounding not his passing in my opinion.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Rockets hold opponents to the lowest shooting percentage of any team in the NBA, 40.5% and shoot almost 44%. They held the Suns to only 35.2%, but the Suns held the Rockets to 39.3% and forced 22 turnovers.

The Suns played an extremely gritty game. I cannot remember a game when they won against a playoff team while shooting so badly. What is even more amazing is that they came back after being 21 points down after having been blown out in the previous game.

After giving people reasons to question their toughness, the Suns proved they do have heart.

One of the keys to the win was the incredible game played by Barbosa. He's had better shooting games, but his defense on Francis that held him to 3 of 15 was huge. Leandro had an amazing 5 steals to go along with 5 assists, 6 rebounds, and 14 points including 3 of 6 for three.

It was great to watch the players at the end of the game. They have suffered so many disappointments and bad breaks, it was exciting to see how excited they were to win against a hot team on the road. Good things happen when everyone plays hard.

:thumbup:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm a Cards fan first, and a casual suns fan. I tuned in tonight during the 3rd quarter, and I was totally suprised by what I saw. The suns were playing very very well and there was a ton of emotion and energy.

A few more games like tonight's game, and these Suns will earn back some fans, myself including. Damn that was fun to watch. Marion blocking that late shot and hitting the 3 to go into overtime...damn it was nice to see some intensity and see the guys out there having fun.