Rockets vs. Suns

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by vince56
I'm a Cards fan first, and a casual suns fan. I tuned in tonight during the 3rd quarter, and I was totally suprised by what I saw. The suns were playing very very well and there was a ton of emotion and energy.

A few more games like tonight's game, and these Suns will earn back some fans, myself including. Damn that was fun to watch. Marion blocking that late shot and hitting the 3 to go into overtime...damn it was nice to see some intensity and see the guys out there having fun.

The two jams that Amare made against Yao would have made the game worth attending. The whole evening was an epic battle between two great big men and while Yao had the better numbers, Amare held his own and came out the winner. The Suns have never had a guy like Amare and we are watching the creation of a legend.

sunsfn

Reaction score
slinslin said.............
-------------------------------------------------------
The assumption that Yao just needs to get more shots is really stupid.
---------------------------------------------

Actually what you said there is really stupid!!!!

Yao needs to get the ball a lot more than Stevie franchise is giving it to him..............I believe they would have won last night if Yao had the ball more often and took more shots.

The suns played real gritty basketball last night and hopefully will build on this game. With some help in the off season, (big men) another year of seasoning, they "will" be a very good team in a two years.

:thumbup:

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts on why Yao doesn't get the ball more are:
1. The Rockets spacing looks very poor. There should be no reason why you can not pound the ball into one of, if not the tallest player in the NBA every play.
2. Stevie Franchise does not look to pound the ball into Yao for the easy buckets. Instead, he likes to dribble the ball around doing his usual crossovers (street style). He looks to score first and pass second. This team will never be any good as long as Stevie plays on it with Yao. You can mark it down. If it comes back to bite me, I'll eat crow on it.

Thoughts on the game: What can you say about Amare, other then he's a monster. The two dunks on Yao were awesome. I thought that almost everyone on the Suns had a nice all around game. It says a lot about this team to be down so much in the second quarter, to come back and scrap with nothing to wim for. On the other hand, the Rockets did have something to play for, and came up short.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
I would agree with you Mike. I think that will be part of his evolution as he continues to grow as a legit NBA Superstar.

2 more years, he will make that pass.

Next year he will make that pass to Kobe-hee hee.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Mike Bibby averages like 5.3apg for his Sacramento career....

Bob Cousy averaged only 7.5apg.

Marbury hasn't been the big assists guy either.

Francis creates a lot for the Rockets by drawing the defense to him especially when he attacks the basket. Either it makes Yao available for the pass or at worst it makes it easier for Yao to get good position for offensive rebounds.

I don't like Francis. But I would still clearly put him in the top 10 PGs.

Give it up slin. There's no way Amare Stoudemire should be able to front Yao Ming. Any decent NBA point guard who is actually looking to get the ball to Yao should have been able to toss it right over Amare.

Everybody and their mom knows that on most NBA teams Mike Bibby would average about 3 more assists per game. He only averages 5 assists again because the big man on the Sacramento Kings are the primary distributors in the half-court offense.

I also like how everyone here has been saying for the last two years that Marbury actually puts up very good assist numbers. Then when it suits your argument you change that position. Marbury is currently seconded the NBA in assists. Bad example.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
Give it up slin. There's no way Amare Stoudemire should be able to front Yao Ming. Any decent NBA point guard who is actually looking to get the ball to Yao should have been able to toss it right over Amare.

Actually, I thought Amare did a VERY good job fronting Yao.

It was the first time I had ever seen Amare try to deny the ball from a player (he should try it more often!). He also had some help in denying from ZMan.

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Barbosa needs to make his layups.

He missed two that I saw.

At the end of the half he made an amazing steal while doing the splits, Marion threw it up to him, Barbosa had a layup with someone guarding him, Barbosa missed it, buzzer, end of half

And he missed another one as well.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Missed the game :( I was in lamaz class untill 9:00

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
Barbosa needs to make his layups.

He missed two that I saw.

At the end of the half he made an amazing steal while doing the splits, Marion threw it up to him, Barbosa had a layup with someone guarding him, Barbosa missed it, buzzer, end of half

And he missed another one as well.

Barbosa needs to dunk on his breakaways. He tries to finese the ball in and lacks the touch. When he was being scouted, it was widely reported that he is a great dunker, but he doesn't do it that much now.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
Barbosa needs to dunk on his breakaways. He tries to finese the ball in and lacks the touch. When he was being scouted, it was widely reported that he is a great dunker, but he doesn't do it that much now.

Can jump high enough to dunk?

sunsfn

Reaction score
Actually he has made most of his layups in the games. Some he missed he was fouled and could not make them or was intimadated and could not make them. He has been intimidated in the past and made the layups, so I do not think he is doing bad at this.
I do agree he sometimes needs to dunk them, but that will come.
I think he will be an excellent player and does some great things on the court, such as that bounce pass to Amare last night.

:thumbup:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I read on insider something about Francis putting his forearm into Amare's throat?

I missed the game (gotta love spending the day at the Phoenician, and not having to buy a room :cool: )

Anyone care to elaborate on it??

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
I read on insider something about Francis putting his forearm into Amare's throat?

I missed the game (gotta love spending the day at the Phoenician, and not having to buy a room :cool: )

Anyone care to elaborate on it??

Amare threw down a facial on Yao and was engaging in a little celebration. He wasn't even looking at Francis and got close to him. Francis reached out and stuck a forearm in Amare's throat. Amare looked like he was ready to start mixing it up. Order was restored with a time out but the refs assessed double technicals.

Not sure what Amare did to deserve that? :confused:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirChaz
Amare threw down a facial on Yao and was engaging in a little celebration. He wasn't even looking at Francis and got close to him. Francis reached out and stuck a forearm in Amare's throat. Amare looked like he was ready to start mixing it up. Order was restored with a time out but the refs assessed double technicals.

Not sure what Amare did to deserve that? :confused:

Amare did his chest thumping routine and it really pissed Francis off. Francis was having an awful game (3 of 15) and the Rockets were losing control of the game. Maybe he was hoping to provoke a fight and get Amare tossed.

Amare took a step toward Francis, but did not raise his arms; yet the refs called a couble technical. Francis should have been tossed for throwing a punch above the neck, yet the Suns did not even get to shoot a technical foul.

We can only hope this is taken to the NBA. Francis should sit out a game or two and the refs need to be disciplined for clearly screwing up.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
Amare did his chest thumping routine and it really pissed Francis off. Francis was having an awful game (3 of 15) and the Rockets were losing control of the game. Maybe he was hoping to provoke a fight and get Amare tossed.

Amare took a step toward Francis, but did not raise his arms; yet the refs called a couble technical. Francis should have been tossed for throwing a punch above the neck, yet the Suns did not even get to shoot a technical foul.

We can only hope this is taken to the NBA. Francis should sit out a game or two and the refs need to be disciplined for clearly screwing up.

Technically he did not thump his chest. He did scream and pose and was moving tword Francis when Stevie got his feeling hurt and lashed out.

Like Francis never celebrates. :rolleyes:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirChaz
Technically he did not thump his chest. He did scream and pose and was moving tword Francis when Stevie got his feeling hurt and lashed out.

Like Francis never celebrates. :rolleyes:

Amare did his shout toward the fans. He came toward Francis only because he was turning to go back up court and was not facing Francis until then.

I have to give Amare credit for keeping his cool. Amare could have put Francis into the third row with no trouble at all.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
About three plays after, Steve Franchise makes a desperation shoot by the Suns bench which went in. He turns to the Suns bench while running back up the court and talks some smack. So basically, he takes offense to Amare howling after a dunk on Yao, but feels it's okay for him to talk smack after a shoot goes in.
I hate that punk, and I hope that the NBA reviews that stunt and suspends him for 2 games. I also hope that they miss the playoffs by two games.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dr. Dumas
About three plays after, Steve Franchise makes a desperation shoot by the Suns bench which went in. He turns to the Suns bench while running back up the court and talks some smack. So basically, he takes offense to Amare howling after a dunk on Yao, but feels it's okay for him to talk smack after a shoot goes in.

I noticed that too. The Suns should have at least shot a FT over that incident. Home court advantage, I guess the refs felt the environment was to hostle and figured a dbl Tech would calm things down.

I think the next time Francis hangs on the rim to long after a dunk someone should give a forearm shiver to his neck and see if they get the same consideration. :|

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If anything, the shot backfired. I think it really fired up the Suns and they played a very strong game.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen