Opening Day is upon us! Dbacks vs. Rockies series thread

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
I know everyone wants to throw the umps under the bus for a bad call but I am not so sure Connor made the tag. If he did, he barely nicked the runner with the tip of his glove. Connor has got to put a strong tag on the runner to ensure it is seen...that and he did kind of lollygag it after he thought the play was done instead of finishing everything off.
I see where you're coming from but it looked like a tag to me. Those are tough plays to call for umpires though. Very similar play just a minute ago and the replay showed that Carroll missed the tag so he at least got 1 of the 2 calls right.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Cojack missed that tag. The ump could have given him the benefit of the doubt considering he tagged him with his glove. However, the ball was in his hand and never touched the player.

Connor needs to start focusing more on the little things when in the field. He would have lapses of concentration last year and it hurt us. His 1st inning debacle is another example of that. Hopefully Gibson can jump on him so he quits doing it. God knows Melvin won't
He put the ball in his glove before he made the tag attempt. It was a tag and the ump missed it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cojack missed that tag. The ump could have given him the benefit of the doubt considering he tagged him with his glove. However, the ball was in his hand and never touched the player.

Connor needs to start focusing more on the little things when in the field. He would have lapses of concentration last year and it hurt us. His 1st inning debacle is another example of that. Hopefully Gibson can jump on him so he quits doing it. God knows Melvin won't

The ball was definitely in his glove but I don't think he ever made the tag personally...or, as I said, if he did it was the very tip of his glove nicking the runner.

The replay from behind the first base bag shows Connor taking the ball out of his glove after he "tagged" the runner.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
He put the ball in his glove before he made the tag attempt. It was a tag and the ump missed it.

You're right. I went back and looked at it on tivo and he did put the ball in his glove at the last second. I only saw a replay of it quickly and it looked like he kept the ball in his hand. That's a horrible call by the ump, horrible. Jackson clearly made the tag. I wonder if the umpo also thought the ball was in his hand?

That still doesn't excuse his throw to 3rd. That was just as bad as the umps no-call

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
The ball was definitely in his glove but I don't think he ever made the tag personally...or, as I said, if he did it was the very tip of his glove nicking the runner.

The replay from behind the first base bag shows Connor taking the ball out of his glove after he "tagged" the runner.

The glove is considered the ball when you're tagging someone. If any part of the glove touches the baserunner while the ball is inside the glove he is out.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
You're right. I went back and looked at it on tivo and he did put the ball in his glove at the last second. I only saw a replay of it quickly and it looked like he kept the ball in his hand. That's a horrible call by the ump, horrible. Jackson clearly made the tag. I wonder if the umpo also thought the ball was in his hand?

That still doesn't excuse his throw to 3rd. That was just as bad as the umps no-call
I'm not sure, those can be very hard to call for umpires and they don't have the luxury of replay like we do. I am confident that was a tag though.

As far as the throw, that was brutal and I agree there is no excuse for that. That whole play reminds me of something that would happen in a little league game or something.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The glove is considered the ball when you're tagging someone. If any part of the glove touches the baserunner while the ball is inside the glove he is out.

I know that. What I am saying is the ball was in his glove but I don't think the glove ever touched the runner and obviously neither did the umps. When it happened live, I couldn't believe the umps made the call they did but after watching the replay from the 1B side, I don't think Connor ever made the tag.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All in all, Davis didn't do horrible. Shaky first inning which really wasn't his fault and a few too many walks but not too bad. The Dbacks simply cannot make errors and expect to win games with their small ball style.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I know that. What I am saying is the ball was in his glove but I don't think the glove ever touched the runner and obviously neither did the umps. When it happened live, I couldn't believe the umps made the call they did but after watching the replay from the 1B side, I don't think Connor ever made the tag.

He clearly made the tag. If you have it on tivo it's blatantly obvious

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
He clearly made the tag. If you have it on tivo it's blatantly obvious
I'm glad you were able to clarify it. I was 100% confident that he made the tag but it seemed like there was still a lot of question whether the tag was made or not. The 2nd play where Carroll missed Hudson, he clearly missed that tag. I thought CoJack made the tag though.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Nippert is in for Davis btw... Davis couldn't seem to find the plate and while that wasn't a terrible outing I think he is capable of much better. It wasn't bad though.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
The Rockies announcers just mentioned that the Rockies didn't wear the purple jerseys not one time last year. I knew there was a reason why I thought they did away with those. I thought they were just going to use their black alternates only. That's pretty interesting though, I wonder why they wouldn't wear a set of their jerseys even once in a season.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nippert is in for Davis btw... Davis couldn't seem to find the plate and while that wasn't a terrible outing I think he is capable of much better. It wasn't bad though.

He is capable of much better but I think given everything that was going wrong, to only give up 3 runs (all unearned I think) is about as good as anyone could expect. No great but he didn't kill his team today.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Clark goes down looking... B7 3-2 Rox. This one is shaping out to be similar to last night's game.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
He must have ticked someone off he's now given up a 7 spot no one even going out to talk to him

Edit: now they finally pull him out... 7 ER in 2/3 IP. Can't wait to see his ERA rofl :bang:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard