D-backs vs. Cardinals (and Rockies) series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The D-backs will head east to the Gateway Arch for a tedious four-game series against the Cardinals. The D-backs come off a series win against the Holliday-less Rockies to start their final week of the regular season. They trail LA by two and a half games (Dodger magic number is FIVE) and really must win every game since the Dodgers just have six against California patsies. Unless LaRussa shuffles his rotation again (I doubt Melvin will), the critical four-game weekday series goes something like...

Monday - Webb vs. Wellemeyer

Those three losses he recently had were killer. Bryan Price and he worked on the problem and Webb responded with two straight convincing wins. Webb has not pitched against the Cardinals this season, but lifetime he is 2-4 with a 4.42 ERA against them. Wellemeyer has never faced the D-backs, but has had a decent season, winning 12 games, giving up an average under four runs per game. The D-backs are catching Wellemayer at the right time, he has lost his last two starts and four of his last five.

Tuesday - Johnson vs. Loshe

Will he ever get career win #295? His last win came on August 12 and had the bullpen and offense done their jobs, he would be in the 300 club. Three weeks ago, the Cardinals knocked the future Hall of Famer around for four homeruns in under four innings. Johnson will try to keep his season ERA under 4. Loshe pitched one of his better games three weeks ago, keeping the D-backs off the board for six innings. In his last five starts, he won one with an era of 3 over those games. At 14-6, Lohse is enjoying the best season of his career, despite missing the playoffs.

Wednesday - Scherzer vs. Wainwright

Will he ever get win #1? His ERA is an impressive 3.00 and he strikes out at least one batter per inning. He has never pitched more than six innings in a start but in his last two starts, did just that, losing one of those games. Wainwright usually wins, he's 10-3 and the Cardinals have won 15 times when he started. He won four of his last six games after returning from the DL. One of those wins was against the D-backs, when he held them to one run in less than six innings. In Pittsburgh last week, he was rocked for six runs in four innings.

Thursday - Davis vs. Pineiro

Will he ever get a decision? Hopefully it will be a winning one. He has pitched marvelously in September, not getting a decision in four starts, but carrying a September ERA of 2.59. Davis allowed three runs to the Redbirds in six innings a few weeks ago and the lefty will make his final start of 2008 on Thursday. Pineiro will, as well, but he has lost his last two starts. He has a September ERA of 8.40. The last time he faced the D-backs was, like the others on the Cardinals staff, a few weeks ago. In that game he was hit hard for three home runs in five innings, but did not earn a decision.

The do-or-Diemondbacks continue to win road games as they did in Denver recently. Hot bats normally get cooled, unfortunately; in 2008, the D-backs averaged under four runs in games immediately following 10-run outbursts, scoring five or more in only two of them.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
big series we must atleast win 3 out of the 4 to stay in the race to bad the dodgers are playing the padres though. But if we just take care of buisness and win with our best pitches on the mound who knows were we could be in the division after the series is over. Looking forward to this series though GO DBACKS

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
why is melvin NOT sending young? this is stupid, we have an horrible manager.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nice 3-1 run lead for the dbacks heading into the 7th inning would be nice to hang on and cut the lead in the division down another game

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
great gj lyon allowing the first two to reach base 0 out in the bottom of the 8th :( poor webb

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow I have no idea how Lyon got out of that without giving up a run but eaither way great job lyon in a good sense this time :)

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
can i just announce my man crush for stephen drew even more on here... The guys a PRO

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah stephen drew had another great night triple shy of the cycle :(, one more big inning to go for the dbacks lets get webb another win and a great chance to win the cy young

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
wow I have no idea how Lyon got out of that without giving up a run but eaither way great job lyon in a good sense this time :)
And alot of luck . . . which is usually the case when a line drive turns into a double play. Also bad base running by the Cards. But it was good to see Lyon not blowing Webb's 22nd win.

Black Jesus said:
Can i just announce my man crush for stephen drew even more on here... The guys a PRO
If Drew had an extra week, he'd be up over .300. It's too bad the decision wasn't made to replace Young with Drew at leadoff much earlier in the season.

If the Dodgers fall apart and we get into the NL post-season, I can't remember if those stats count toward the regular season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice win. Webb wins #22. One game at a time.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
good win to get a little closer to the dodgers, and grats to webb for winning number 22 and another good game by Drew.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Other than the 3rd out, everything the Cardinals hit was HARD. He just got incredibly lucky that Glaus made a running error after we lucked into a line drive right at Eckstein. If that ball was just a smidge more towards center or if Glaus doesn't make the mistake, it's a tie ball game.

Lyon doesn't get a pass on this one from me, he just got REALLY lucky.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Giants will win at least 2 of 3 this weekend, so assuming we win the Colorado series (and there's no excuse not to with the pitching matchups at home against a team with nothing to play for) we need to make up just one game the next three games to force a playoff.

Things could get real interesting if the Dodgers lose tomorrow with Billingsley (who got shelled by the Pirates last time out) on the mound because the next two matchups better shots especially Thursday with Peavy and Maddux going. The Dodgers face Lincecum, Peavy, and Cain over the last six so stranger things have happened especially with a historically choking team like the bums.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
our chances have gone from 1% to 10.4% according to ESPN in about a week that we'll make the playoffs. Keep chipping away

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
our chances have gone from 1% to 10.4% according to ESPN in about a week that we'll make the playoffs. Keep chipping away
Very interesting. I took a look at how ESPN figured that out and decided to run the numbers for myself. I came up with a 6.68% chance of winning the division outright and a 17.86% chance of forcing a tie. Of course, the ESPN guys used some kind of fancy computer simulation where as I just did a simplified version with a pad of paper and a calculator. Of course, all of this is pretty much meaningless. Scary/exciting game tonight, gotta win tomorrow.

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
Dbacks faced Wellemeyer last year.
Er, maybe I meant he never played against them this year, yeah that's it :maninground: . It's good that the notes are being carefully read :) , you're right and he is not too great against Arizona, now 0-3, 6.59 vs. the D-backs.

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
And I thought the Cardinals borrowed Chip Hale, but it was really Jose Oquendo costing his team from the coach's box. ;)

Melvin rolled the dice on Webb and it worked out. Webb may have pitched himself the Cy Young award after that one or at least into the lead, but he has one more game Saturday. Lincecum pitches tonight against Colorado and Sunday vs. the Dodgers, in a game which we may want to see him win. Sorry, Brandon.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Webb should get the Cy Young. Anyone else think they Giants are kinda taking a chance pitching this kid so much trying to win the award? Man they have him throwing so many pitches. Webb should win it he has the wins he is on a better team that is in the hunt and the games matter, Lincicum is pitching without any worries cause their team sucks, no pressure if you ask me. Webb should win it on wins alone.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks blow it bigtime in the first. Runners on first and third with no outs and CoJack pops up to short center, Dunn walks(Int), Upton K's and then Young grounds out.

The Cardinals now take a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first and have two runners on and no outs.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4-0 Cardinals in the first. If they don't come back it sure looks like the season could be over.

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
So many times for D-back starters, the first inning is the worst inning. Why is that?

no Sticky for this thread??