D-backs vs. Rockies series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The D-backs are officially Dunn, more like Dunn is officially a D-back. Poor play on words matches the recent poor play of the team lately. Today, the D-backs take a ride to the home of the defending NL Champs, who are barely playing like it. Now it's time for three games a mile high, will the humidor be running or will the balls be flying into the mini-forest next to the rockpile? How many home runs will the Majors' home run co-leader hit up there? Arizona still leads the NL West, hopefully, when they leave Denver, they still will. And now...

Tuesday - Johnson vs. Jimenez

Johnson gets a curve thrown at his quest for 300 wins with a start in the rare air of Denver. His latest attempt to get win #294 was squashed by a rookie pitcher seeking perfection. Still, over his last six starts, Johnson is 5-1 with a 1.58 ERA. He is still one of the most torrid pitchers in the game. Johnson is a lifetime 6-4 with a 3.54 ERA at Coors Field. Jose Jimenez pitched a no-hitter against Arizona, but that was nine years ago and Ubaldo will be on the mound. Jimenez posted similar numbers as Johnson did in July, but in his last game he was smacked around by the Nationals for six runs in five innings. In the two times the D-backs faced him, he struck out 16 over 13 innings, allowing four runs. Jimenez struck out 11 D-backs on the last game of 2007, which forced a one-game playoff with San Diego for the Wild Card spot.

Wednesday - Petit vs. Francis

Petit pitched well last week, allowing just two runs in five innings against Atlanta. He struck out a season-high six batters in that game, but earned his third loss thanks to a lack of run support and Tony Pena. Petit faced Colorado once this year in relief, allowing two runs in one inning of a 10-3 home win. In his one career start at Coors Field in the last game of 2007, he held the Rockies off the board for five innings. Once the ace of the Colorado staff, Francis has struggled to a 3-8 record. Shoulder issues shelved him for the whole month of July. He had great success against Arizona until this season, when he lost all three starts to the D-backs, allowing 20 runs in 16 innings.

Thursday - Davis vs Cook

This game is the most worrysome. Davis lost both of his August starts, allowing 12 runs in five innings. Arizona has only won one of the last seven games Davis has started. Davis will face the Rockies for the first time in 2008. Cook's 14-8 season has been blemished in August, which is when he has lost his last two games. Cook split two decisions at Chase Field earlier this season. Despite having a career 5.29 ERA against the D-backs, he has a record of 5-4 in those 15 starts. The D-backs will try to extend his personal two-game skid before heading off to Houston.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why bother? I see us being swept with the pitchers we are starting in this series against a club currently swinging hot bats.

Hurrah Dunn! Figure one solo home run, one single and two rbis in the three games. Between striking out a lot and having nobody on base in front of him, Dunn will fit in just fine.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
meh not our best pitchers for this series rather than Johnson going but maybe with Dunn added to our lineup we can score a few more runs and take 2 games out of this series. GO DBACKS AND GO PHILLIES BEAT THE DODGERS

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
im excited to see co-jack dunn and reynolds play in the thin air of coors field.

bad news though, dodgers up big 7-1 in the 5th

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Well, its too bad I'm working tonight but I can't wait to see how Dunn does. Hopefully we can maybe take one. Two would be great. Three, stop it. You really must be kidding.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight's lineup

Drew - SS
Ojeda - 2B
CoJack - LF
Reynolds - 3B
Tracy - 1B
Young - CF
Snyder - C
Johnson - P

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Bitching time is over for me. Hope we find a way to win.

I'll be watching. Synchronized diving and all other pseudo-sports subject to judging don't do anything for me anyway.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably going to be a lot of runs scored by both teams.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson gives up Homer and two doubles, tied at 2 after 2

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I just moved to Colorado, so I feel a little bit at home watching this series on FSN Rocky Mountain...

Watching the game I miss Grace, but not so much Daren. These guys are calm and collected, yet still interesting to listen to. Daren was beginning to get on my nerves.

One better aspect of their broadcast is that they have a K Zone AND and an ariel view of the plate to see if pitches really did hit the plate. No speculation, its fun to know when there is a bad call or not.

Fun to hear what the other broadcasters say about our players. Heres a few...

Tracy- "All fingers point to him being the odd man out once Upton returns"
Reynolds- (after barehand throwout) "Baffles you defensively, makes plays like that consistently, but gets lazy on his throws and footwork causing a lot of errors."
Johnson-"He can still pitch" they were comparing Jimenez's first 40 starts to Johnson.
Snyder-"Thats not getting it done" in regards to his .121 avg with 2outs RISP

They were commenting defensively on our team. Big slow Dunn, converted 1B in left, Reynolds, converted 3B at 1st, "Chris Young has a lot of ground to cover in center"
"Drew needs to run the bases better." -isnt that the story of his season

sorry thats all, just interesting to hear another perspective about this team.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well the dbacks are lucky they got out of the 7th inning without giving up a run, and Randy Johnson deserves this win the way he pitched hoping the bullpen can close it out for him. Also not a bad day for dunn two walks and a hit i'll take that

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win and RJ gets #294! Great play by Reynolds and Tracy in the 9th.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
great win!

i was very impressed by dunn's plate discipline. all those K's you would think he had lots of dumb swings and not a good eye. that is not the case.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
great win!

i was very impressed by dunn's plate discipline. all those K's you would think he had lots of dumb swings and not a good eye. that is not the case.

Yeah, it looks like he is the complete opposite of Reynolds. Reynolds will swing at everything - no matter how terrible the pitch. Dunn seems to not swing unless it is a perfect pitch for him to hit.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sob dodgers just tied it up 3-3 bottom of the 8th inning they have a guy on 1st and 2nd 1 out ugh :(

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Cant the Dodgers just go on one of those 8 game losing streaks so we can have some cushion