Nuggets @ Suns Monday game thread 12-23-19

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It seems like you expect him to take over games as a 21 year-old second year player. I don't know why you would expect that since he hasn't shown any signs that he can be that kind of player.

Not really... but I think it was reasonable bro expect him to show meaningful development this year (which he still can), and perhaps dominate in crunch time in a few instances.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It seems like you expect him to take over games as a 21 year-old second year player. I don't know why you would expect that since he hasn't shown any signs that he can be that kind of player.
Probably because those are the expectations of a consensus #1 pick.

With glory comes responsibility. Especially on a team which has never
had a Center with the potential we expect from Deandre.

I've spoken up against instant gratification. But everything we saw of
him set the bar high. Not to be among the greats from the start. But
to show a foundation to that steady growth, which is not the case.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Probably because those are the expectations of a consensus #1 pick.

With glory comes responsibility. Especially on a team which has never
had a Center with the potential we expect from Deandre.

I've spoken up against instant gratification. But everything we saw of
him set the bar high. Not to be among the greats from the start. But
to show a foundation to that steady growth, which is not the case.

He’s shown that foundation, and the data supports it. Reading your letter to Ayton reinforces the notion that people’s assessment of his performance comes from sheer emotion and not objectivity.

I get it. He’s the #1 pick and people want a plug-and-play solution to our playoff drought, but as someone who’s followed Ayton’s career since high school, I said specifically when he was drafted that he’d be good to start and great by year 3. I was within two points and a rebound from predicting his rookie stat line. Even though he’s only played two games, there’s evidence of growth and development. He needs to get on the floor to continue said development, though.

Cant say I’m surprised by the Ayton takes, but I admit that I’m disappointed in the lack of overall insight from Suns fans

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The perceived lack of development by Ayton is the least of our problems.

Among far bigger issues:

The overwhelming lack of athleticism.

On a related note, James Jones's assembly of a roster that has no prayer of playing good defense on any consistent basis.

The lack of a starting power forward, particularly a rim protecting, athletic banger to pair with Ayton.

The lack of development of Mikal Bridges.

The lack of any reliable bench scoring.

The erratic play of Oubre.

The lack of NBA talent out of the most recent draft.

The apparent regression of Booker, particularly in big moments down the stretch (last night's big shot notwithstanding).

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The Suns are still in a world where they can play well in spurts, but not quite consistent enough to win games. The margin for error for this team is so thin and it's frustrating when the effort on defense isn't there.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Among far bigger issues:

On a related note, James Jones's assembly of a roster that has no prayer of playing good defense on any consistent basis.

The lack of a starting power forward, particularly a rim protecting, athletic banger to pair with Ayton.

The apparent regression of Booker, particularly in big moments down the stretch (last night's big shot notwithstanding).
The lack of athleticism sticks out to me as well.. the physicality is just not there the majority of games imo and that will be a huge problem moving forward in a long season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Among far bigger issues:

You either have amnesia and have no recollection of just how horrendous this roster has been over the past 4 years or so... Or, you live in some sort of fantasy world where rosters as horrendous as the Suns rosters have been over the last 4 years or so, can be turned around in a season or two...
I think it’s fair to suggest that the ‘19-20 roster is the best roster this team has had over the past 4 years or so. Given Ayton’s absence for all but two games thus far, as well as Book’s injury that caused him to miss games, many of the claims you list really can’t be validated at this juncture.
Further, I think Jones will continue to find ways to improve this roster in years to come.

But just not sure what you expected at this point, in light of my fact-based comments...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You either have amnesia and have no recollection of just how horrendous this roster has been over the past 4 years or so... Or, you live in some sort of fantasy world where rosters as horrendous as the Suns rosters have been over the last 4 years or so, can be turned around in a season or two...
I think it’s fair to suggest that the ‘19-20 roster is the best roster this team has had over the past 4 years or so. Given Ayton’s absence for all but two games thus far, as well as Book’s injury that caused him to miss games, many of the claims you list really can’t be validated at this juncture.
Further, I think Jones will continue to find ways to improve this roster in years to come.

But just not sure what you expected at this point, in light of my fact-based comments...

I expected a more balanced roster and a legitimate starter at power forward.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He’s shown that foundation, and the data supports it. Reading your letter to Ayton reinforces the notion that people’s assessment of his performance comes from sheer emotion and not objectivity.

I get it. He’s the #1 pick and people want a plug-and-play solution to our playoff drought, but as someone who’s followed Ayton’s career since high school, I said specifically when he was drafted that he’d be good to start and great by year 3. I was within two points and a rebound from predicting his rookie stat line. Even though he’s only played two games, there’s evidence of growth and development. He needs to get on the floor to continue said development, though.

Cant say I’m surprised by the Ayton takes, but I admit that I’m disappointed in the lack of overall insight from Suns fans

Rather than dismiss my opinion with an accusation of being emotional, how about you go
over my detailed "letter" to Deandre and tell me which items you disagree with and why.

That would constitute a legitimate debate.

I would like to support every Suns player (and management) but, first and foremost, I
root for my hometown Phoenix Suns and have for more than four decades.

I look forward to your addressing each point about Deandre's performance, both on
and off the court so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard