Nuggets @ Suns Monday game thread 12-23-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the Suns get a win on Monday before they head back on the road to play four games @ Warriors, @ Kings, @ Trail Blazers and @ Lakers.

After the Nuggets game there is a four game break until they play the Warriors on December 27th so if Ayton (sprained ankle) needs more time to heal this might be an opportune time.

Nuggets (19-8) have won five games in a row heading into tonight’s game at the Lakers while the Suns (11-18) have lost six games in a row.

Game time is 7 p.m. Arizona time.

It will be televised on FSAZ.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure enough after checking, Ayton is out. Rubio is questionable.

Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

#Suns are listing Deandre Ayton (sprained ankle) as OUT for tomorrow’s game vs. Denver. Ricky Rubio (illness) is questionable. Dario Saric (leg soreness) and Frank Kaminsky (knee soreness) are both probable (both played last night vs. Houston).

3:22 PM - 22 Dec 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Little odd they're announcing Ayton is out so quickly. I don't think they announced Baynes would miss a game that quickly.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Little odd they're announcing Ayton is out so quickly. I don't think they announced Baynes would miss a game that quickly.

Something tells me that as has happened in the past, the Suns aren't being entirely forthright about the extent and seriousness of Ayton's injury...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something tells me that as has happened in the past, the Suns aren't being entirely forthright about the extent and seriousness of Ayton's injury...

Microfracture on his ankle this time?

Nah, he's probably just straight up dead.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

My guess is his suspension was for violating insulin, and now he's lost his foot to diabetes. :(

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it's pretty clear Sarver is cobbling together some sort of Frankenstein's monster. It will have Ayton's ankles, Baynes' hips, Saric's back, Booker's arms, and next will be Kaminsky's shoulders. Should be ready to debut around the All-Star break.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear Sarver is cobbling together some sort of Frankenstein's monster. It will have Ayton's ankles, Baynes' hips, Saric's back, Booker's arms, and next will be Kaminsky's shoulders. Should be ready to debut around the All-Star break.

He will promptly get "flu like symptoms" and miss a month.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea another loss coming up...

And another gm without ayton what shocker

Whatever this season is lost anyway.... :(

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea another loss coming up...

And another gm without ayton what shocker

Whatever this season is lost anyway.... :(

It's premature to say the season is lost. There is still more than enough time to turn it around.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's premature to say the season is lost. There is still more than enough time to turn it around.

I agree with this but it doesn't feel this way. Suns are not doing the things to win.

It's hard to imagine them suddenly playing defense like they did early in the season. They can't get stops when they need too. I keep thinking when Ayton returns and they get a win they can turn it around. However, winning is not like turning on a light switch especially for a Suns team that is not playing well. Good teams can do it but the Suns are not a good team right now.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ahh yes..... Rubio an injury risk every night.....

Booker missing games here an there......

Ayton can't stay on the floor......

The new car smell is quickly wearing off.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this but it doesn't feel this way. Suns are not doing the things to win.

It's hard to imagine them suddenly playing defense like they did early in the season. They can't get stops when they need too. I keep thinking when Ayton returns and they get a win they can turn it around. However, winning is not like turning on a light switch especially for a Suns team that is not playing well. Good teams can do it but the Suns are not a good team right now.

Nah, it's the same team they did it before, they can do it again.

Last year, they looked like the worst team in pro history than out of nowhere won 5 of 10 and beat Millwaukee etc.

They will get on a roll again, I am sure of that, just not sure how long it is going to take, and how long it will last.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not without a strong starting Power Forward to play alongside Ayton and cover his deficiencies.
And one solid backup Point Guard.

And hopefully some consistency in the rotation to reduce the chance of injuries to players
accustomed to their roles.

Without a GM drawing on his experience (oops!), there is no hope for turning it around.
In other words, Sarver's bargain basement "yes" men from within are not the answer.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Last year, they looked like the worst team in pro history than out of nowhere won 5 of 10 and beat Millwaukee etc.

They will get on a roll again, I am sure of that, just not sure how long it is going to take, and how long it will last.
The key to that short term success was Baynes in the post.

Do you have any reason to believe that Baynes will --

(A) Be the primary Center, as he was from Game 2 on
until age caught up with him?

(B) Be able to play long, consistent minutes, which he
has not done in his career?

It is not about luck. It is about proper staffing. See
the post above.

"On a roll" does not just happen. It must be carefully
planned and executed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, it's the same team they did it before, they can do it again.

My expectations for the Suns this season is having more than a couple of good stretches where they win some games. It's going to require consistent effort especially on defense.

Let's not forget the 2018-19 Suns only won 19 games.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tru just very disappointed in losses to bad teams and the schedule coming up looks hard

Teams have learned that they can get a breather and play down to our level for most of
each game, knowing that when they turn it on midway through the 4th quarter, it will be
a piece of cake to get the "W". Even the fellow 'bad teams' know that.

For a few shining moments at the start of the season, Suns fans developed high hopes.
But then the team that is the Shadow of Sarver found its level.

Was it better to feel good for a couple of weeks before regressing? Or would it have
been better to not get our hopes up?

I vote for feeling good for a couple of weeks, in this case.

Of course, steady progression would be a kazillion times better.

But we know better than to expect that! That takes leaders with basketball experience.

Uh, good experience that is. o_O

As the saying should go, perfect practice makes perfect.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
HOW TO COPE WITH THE SUNS!

Well, I just flipped on Tom & Tom, joined by EJ to hear their insight
on the pre-game show.

When the game starts, I'll be relaxing in my recliner, watching the
Suns (hopefully) hang in there. And, if there's anything to post,
I'll make it over to my desktop (which is my primary online source)
and post at the end of each of the 1st 3 quarters.

Go Suns!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tipoff.

Suns control tip.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio gets the first points of the game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard