Suns @ Trail Blazers Tuesday game thread 12-19-2023

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns would be a better team if they had a point guard. Jordan Goodwin is not getting the job done. However, I question if the Suns would follow the direction of anyone but Beal or Booker as a primary playmaker.

Are they going to follow the direction of Theo Maledon or Saban Lee? I doubt it.

The Suns need to find someone. TJ McConnell is likely out of reach.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really comes down to making shots Book and KD played well enough to win if the rest of the team doesn’t brick it up all freaking night! Guys missing good looks over and over is a recipes for loses in the NBA period! Gotta knock down shots and if guys aren’t doing it like last night you need to give other guys looks! The way we shot last night it’s a crime that Yuta didn’t get any minutes, for craps sakes try someone else coach geesh. Bring in a 3 point shooter then leave him planted in the bench when the rest of the team couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn! Great coaching right there…

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really comes down to making shots Book and KD played well enough to win if the rest of the team doesn’t brick it up all freaking night! Guys missing good looks over and over is a recipes for loses in the NBA period! Gotta knock down shots and if guys aren’t doing it like last night you need to give other guys looks! The way we shot last night it’s a crime that Yuta didn’t get any minutes, for craps sakes try someone else coach geesh. Bring in a 3 point shooter then leave him planted in the bench when the rest of the team couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn! Great coaching right there…

This wasn't about making or missing shots. They were fine the first half. They didn't come out to finish the game and expected to cruise to an easy W. It was over confidence mixed with poor execution. It wasn't missing shots they usually make or the Blazers being incredibly hot. We left the Blazers open too often, they thankfully missed a bunch of easy shots, but fought much harder for the win. They were more patient in their offense and actually playiped defense.

We had no offensive flow. Booker calls for a pick to get a switch and either he gets it and tries to score or he doesn't and gives it up to KD to do something. That was our offense. If we ran more than 5 set plays in the second half, I'd be surprised. It was ugly iso ball akin to the Booker's 2017-18 season when Tyson Chandler was here and Book had no help and we didn't have a coach anyone listened to. We didn't take good shots, period, and we wasted a ton of time to set up those bad shots. We weren't stifled on defense, no one had any rhythm.

Did you watch the game? It's fine if you didn't, we all have lives, but the way you mention missing shots and also Yuta not seeing the floor makes no sense based on what transpired. We were fine in the first half, no Yuta, and you don't sub in a cold shooter has seen the floor all night in the 3rd or 4th quarter because the other team is going on a run. Especially when that shooter is a poor defender and can't create his own shot, which is what we needed.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
This wasn't about making or missing shots. They were fine the first half. They didn't come out to finish the game and expected to cruise to an easy W. It was over confidence mixed with poor execution. It wasn't missing shots they usually make or the Blazers being incredibly hot. We left the Blazers open too often, they thankfully missed a bunch of easy shots, but fought much harder for the win. They were more patient in their offense and actually playiped defense.

We had no offensive flow. Booker calls for a pick to get a switch and either he gets it and tries to score or he doesn't and gives it up to KD to do something. That was our offense. If we ran more than 5 set plays in the second half, I'd be surprised. It was ugly iso ball akin to the Booker's 2017-18 season when Tyson Chandler was here and Book had no help and we didn't have a coach anyone listened to. We didn't take good shots, period, and we wasted a ton of time to set up those bad shots. We weren't stifled on defense, no one had any rhythm.

Did you watch the game? It's fine if you didn't, we all have lives, but the way you mention missing shots and also Yuta not seeing the floor makes no sense based on what transpired. We were fine in the first half, no Yuta, and you don't sub in a cold shooter has seen the floor all night in the 3rd or 4th quarter because the other team is going on a run. Especially when that shooter is a poor defender and can't create his own shot, which is what we needed.

I rarely ever get to watch an entire game without interruption, but what I saw was everything you said + missing shots. The second half was bad in everyway a team could be bad.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I did watch the whole game did you? I saw us miss a ton of good looks we shot 21% from 3 while they shot 50% from 3 and they took more attempts lol. No one on the whole damn team hit more than 1 3 pointer it was absurdly bad shooting for a team with supposed shooters on the bench! And yeah when everyone is throwing up bricks you try Yuta why the hell not what did we bring him here for? You never know he may be hot and no one could hit any you have to try! You make a lot of good points but 21% to 50% from 3 while they took more that’s your ball game! Can’t win in todays NBA shooting 20% from 3, actually shocking the score was as close as it was at the end!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This team has so lost my attention I didn’t even remember they played. I saw we lost to the stinking blazers and didn’t even get mad. What a big ball of meh.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
The Suns have to try something. They already aired it out last season at the trade deadline.

This team is like a ship without a rudder... it's a lot like playground basketball.
Yeah and what happen to this so called defensive genius of a coach Vogel? Doesn't seem that the Suns are not up to playing his defense or maybe his defensive reputation is not worthy of it's call?
Not that all was his fault as the Suns should have gotten a true point guard instead of often injured highly paid no trade clause Beal. We need a player who is on the court. Now they are painted into a corner. And look the Suns power forward slot. James Jones should have been shown the door with Monty.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the Suns would be a better team if they had a point guard. Jordan Goodwin is not getting the job done. However, I question if the Suns would follow the direction of anyone but Beal or Booker as a primary playmaker.

Are they going to follow the direction of Theo Maledon or Saban Lee? I doubt it.

The Suns need to find someone. TJ McConnell is likely out of reach.
So the only caveat to that is we are told they want to play Book, Beal, and KD together at the same time. If you get a regular sized PG, that makes the team rather small. We already have trouble rebounding against other teams. Do we need a PG that bad, or would a bigger PF playing alongside Nurkic be better? :shrug:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the only caveat to that is we are told they want to play Book, Beal, and KD together at the same time. If you get a regular sized PG, that makes the team rather small. We already have trouble rebounding against other teams. Do we need a PG that bad, or would a bigger PF playing alongside Nurkic be better? :shrug:

The Suns really have need at both positions.

I sort of look at it like the NBA draft. Sign or trade for the BPA at point guard or forward/center and reinforce the other position as best they can. It would be nice to acquire both but the Suns have limited assets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns really have need at both positions.

I sort of look at it like the NBA draft. Sign or trade for the BPA at point guard or forward/center and reinforce the other position as best they can. It would be nice to acquire both but the Suns have limited assets.
True, which means they are probably only going to be able to get one of these positions. So which one is the greater need? I am thinking we would do better in the playoffs with a bigger team with better rebounding, rather than a smaller team that would be weaker on the boards.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, which means they are probably only going to be able to get one of these positions. So which one is the greater need? I am thinking we would do better in the playoffs with a bigger team with better rebounding, rather than a smaller team that would be weaker on the boards.

A rotation FC is probably a greater need but I'd still go with the BPA. I think the Suns will look to add players at both positions.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
A rotation FC is probably a greater need but I'd still go with the BPA. I think the Suns will look to add players at both positions.
I'd rather have one good one at one position, than two half assed ones at two positions. We already have a bunch of "good" players. We need one more level B or A- guy, if possible.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have one good one at one position, than two half assed ones at two positions. We already have a bunch of "good" players. We need one more level B or A- guy, if possible.

It will probably have to be a player(s) that is a buyout or a trade where a team will be unable to keep the player going forward due to salary (luxury tax) or an expiring contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It will probably have to be a player(s) that is a buyout or a trade where a team will be unable to keep the player going forward due to salary (luxury tax) or an expiring contract.
The exception we got for Cam Payne looks like our best bet. I think it's about $6 mil. Maybe you are right if we can use those second round picks somehow.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The exception we got for Cam Payne looks like our best bet. I think it's about $6 mil. Maybe you are right if we can use those second round picks somehow.

It will be interesting to see if the Suns can get a player of value with so few assets.