Nuggets @ Suns Monday game thread 12-23-19

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well this is the best the team has played in weeks.

But we just could not execute offensively when we needed to.

finally monte went back to the carter bridges combo and they got us back in the game.

hopefully they continue to play like this.
Was happy to see carter back out there. I know he can’t shoot, but his defense makes a tremendous impact in spurts.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If the Suns had executed down the stretch they would have won.... simple as that.
I dunno, Mainstreet. There is nothing simple about being victorious in the NBA.

Bowling is simple. It is the athlete vs. the pins. The NBA are the athletes vs. other athletes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Monte needs to keep Carter in the rotation, whether his shot is falling or not. His defense and energy helps this team far more than a couple of assists and 8-10 points another guard might give us. Our other guards aren't giving them that though so let Carter play and shut someone down.

Bridges plays best when someone else is going all out with him. He's a competitive guy and he's good when he's doing it by himself but when 2 players are playing lockdown D like that it energizes everyone else.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Every year Booker gets hurt, misses some games and then sucks for a month.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also, Kaminsky sucks and is the reason the suns blew their lead at the end.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno, Mainstreet. There is nothing simple about being victorious in the NBA.

Bowling is simple. It is the athlete vs. the pins. The NBA are the athletes vs. other athletes.

Suns had the lead. If they make plays they win.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This is interesting. Not one of the Suns starters had a "plus". The closest were Baynes with a "zero" and Rubio with a "-1". And every starter played except for the ghost, Ayton.

Cam and Carter, then Bridges, had the plusses off the bench. Carter's and Bridges' defense was the reason why.

Just another example of how the makeup of the team has such little regard for team balance. James Jones has to be accountable for that.

You must be registered for see images attach

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Suns had the lead. If they make plays they win.
If they make the plays and Denver doesn't.

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter how
good or bad you are.

Just that you are better than your opponent.
It is all about the final score.

And that your defense supports your offense.

Which is why I say that it is not as simple as
you may think. A lot goes into being a complete
team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they make the plays and Denver doesn't.

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter how good
or bad you are.

Just that you are better than your opponent.
It is all about the final score.

And that your defense supports your offense.

Which is why I say that it is not simple.

Suns had a 7 point lead so if they trade baskets they still win. Too many bad possessions by Suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Suns had a 7 point lead so if they trade baskets they still win. Too many bad possessions by Suns.
And the Denver defense had nothing to do with that?

That is part of the problem. The first five in the rotation
are weak on defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver went on a 16-7 run to tie the game at 108-108 as Nikola Jokic capped the run with a 3 with two minutes left.

Phoenix missed three shots from the field before Murray put Denver up 3 with 27.7 seconds left. Booker answered with 3 to the tie it with 25.5 seconds.

Then Murray answered with a two with 3.2 seconds left. After a Phoenix timeout, Booker took the final shot Jerami Grant blocked at the buzzer.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...n-last-minute-loss-denver-nuggets/2739245001/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns are now 1-5 in games decided by 4 points or less.

That is not the formula for being a winning team.

We could alibi that our two top scorers have been
missing in action.

But that is not an excuse. It is what it is.

And, once again, defense is half of the equation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Monte needs to keep Carter in the rotation, whether his shot is falling or not. His defense and energy helps this team far more than a couple of assists and 8-10 points another guard might give us. Our other guards aren't giving them that though so let Carter play and shut someone down.

Bridges plays best when someone else is going all out with him. He's a competitive guy and he's good when he's doing it by himself but when 2 players are playing lockdown D like that it energizes everyone else.
Agreed. And it takes two players on the other team somewhat outta the offense. Bridges by himself is one thing, but he and carter paired - and even better with oubre, has a lot of arms and tenacity. They generate turnovers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Book and Oubre were a combined 2 of 14 from three point land... There are several reasons we came up short last night, but I’d put this stat very high on that list. [emoji30]

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Another head-scratching stat is that the Suns are now routinely getting 7 and 8 players scoring in double-digits per game... Yet somehow, that breadth of production isn’t leading to wins. Likely because we can’t get a scorer to produce in crunch time, and with Ayton & Booker never on the court at the same time, we can’t get a scorer to take over a game when needed...

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another head-scratching stat is that the Suns are now routinely getting 7 and 8 players scoring in double-digits per game... Yet somehow, that breadth of production isn’t leading to wins. Likely because we can’t get a scorer to produce in crunch time, and with Ayton & Booker never on the court at the same time, we can’t get a scorer to take over a game when needed...

Also Ayton has never taken over a game.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Having played in only 2 games this season, I guess it would be hard for him to do that... He kinda needs to be on the court in order to take over a game.

I think he played some games last year.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He did. But did you expect him to take over games last year? As a 20 year-old, one & done rookie?? [emoji15]

It seems like you expect him to take over games as a 21 year-old second year player. I don't know why you would expect that since he hasn't shown any signs that he can be that kind of player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard