What needs remain in Free Agency and what can we afford?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
77 players listed on our current roster and just picked 12 more - anyone know what a dozen draftees cost? or how many do we see making the squad?

active roster + unsigned rookies

and correct me if im wrong but if we do dip our toes back in the free agency pool - it'll be defense - but how deep is the pool on the defensive end? are we expecting top tier talent or stop gaps? where would you spend it?

btw here's who we've signed so far

2024 cardinals free agency tracker

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are a few good corners available...and a few midling edge guys...Ala Yannick nagookoo.
...it's a tough call as we have tons of youth and a couple guys in development...do we bring in vets when they will just take snaps from our youth?

I'm guessing a corner...but maybe not until after rookie camp.
Need to coach these guys a bit and see if it sticks after they sleep.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are a few good corners available...and a few midling edge guys...Ala Yannick nagookoo.
...it's a tough call as we have tons of youth and a couple guys in development...do we bring in vets when they will just take snaps from our youth?

Steve Nelson (CB) from the Texans.

I read somewhere that JG likes his game.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I think they get a veteran Edge at some point

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Taj Boyd would be ideal for the slot.

Not sure if he’s signed with anyone or not.

Can’t see the Cards signing any impact defensive guys at all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can afford anything.
Definitely need a more established #2 WR and pass rusher
We have $29 million in cap space with a $19.9 rookie pool. With some offsets for bumping players from the top 51, $13-$14 million left to spend. We did let $10 million role over last year, so we could do that again.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
MHJ is the #2. McBride is the first passing option. These are the small luxuries afforded to teams with star receiving TE’s.
We're talking WRs, not pass-catching options. MHJ is the #1. As of now, Wilson and Dortch are #2 and #3. Not good. In the passing game, I predict this year will become MHJ #1 and McBride #2 but we have very little depth. Not a good setup in the WR room, IMO.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced the WR room is complete. Who's the #2? Wilson? How about #3?

One injury and the WR is a mess again.

The way our roster is being built I wonder how often we are really going to have more than 2 receivers on the field at once.

We're talking WRs, not pass-catching options. MHJ is the #1. As of now, Wilson and Dortch are #2 and #3. Not good. In the passing game, I predict this year will become MHJ #1 and McBride #2 but we have very little depth. Not a good setup in the WR room, IMO.
The way our DLine is built we better have another WR. Cause as nice as this multiple TE stuff sounds if we're trailing we're going to have to throw the ball down the field.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The way our DLine is built we better have another WR. Cause as nice as this multiple TE stuff sounds if we're trailing we're going to have to throw the ball down the field.
Which brings an important question to the table for pondering.

What will be the weakness of the upcoming team?

My stab, youth as I believe they will keep at least half of the draft class on the opening day roster. Rookies will see more playing time the upcoming season than the previous season.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
If there are no players worth signing, use the money to extend a player on the last year of his contract that you want to keep. Coming out of training camp and you know that one player has confirmed his position and future on the team. Extend. Thinking White or Froholdt as obvious candidates. Younger players that are both solid starters (Froholdt finished really strong)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If MHJ and McBride are fairly high volume receivers, a #3 and #4 receiver aren't getting that many touches. 40-50 catches from Wilson and Dortch. Then after that the backs and other receivers just need to chip in like 20-30 catches.

Source: 2023 Kansas City Chiefs stats.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort